quick introduction, i'm chris! started learning guitar a few years ago now... although didnt get time to play due to uni... but now i am getting back into it and determined!!

i can play ok-ish, and will start to look at the more technical side of things at some point in more detail (theory... transitions, chord formation, scales etc...), although at the minute i just want to be able to sing and play!

i have started trying to sing while i play, although find it difficult... my rhythm goes totally off. theres 2 songs i am trying this with, greenday - good riddance, and the view - face for the radio...... both of which i can play the arpeggio and sing the lyrics, without losing rhythm.... but when it comes to strumming the chords i'm finding it difficult....

i know it will just take practice, and it will be frustrating, but if anyone has any tips on how i could make it easier it would be much appreciated! or even tips on any songs which you think would be easier??

thank you!

chris
go veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy slllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww and speed up slowly

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

Last edited by Callo at Sep 9, 2008,
I had the same problem, I felt like I would never be able to sing and play at the same time, the only thing I can really say is just to pratice at it and it will eventially come easily to you. The first song I was ever able to sing to was Jack Johnson-Sitting Waiting Wishing. So you could try that, but it does have palm muting so if your not there yet try Oasis- Wonderwall, that was pretty easy for me too.
Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Silverchair, Opeth. . . those are usually the way to go, oh yeah. . . and Britney Spears. . . I'm not kidding. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
the best thing to do is to get as comfortable playing the guitar parts as possible. you should be able to not think about the playing. when you play you should be able to hold a conversation with someone without messing up. then singing will be no problem. i've been playing killswitch's my curse for so long now. a couple weeks ago when i had to do some of the screaming it was no problem because i was so used to playing it. but even when i try to play other stuff and sing/scream its hard cuz its not engraved in my brain.

so in conclusion: you should be able to play the guitar parts without thinking.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
thank you for the help people.... i'm slowly getting there, i'm finding that if i play the songs over and over whilst watching a program on tv, eventually i start to take more notice in the tv than the guitar.... so instead of just trying to play and sing, i'm trying to concentrate on other things before i start the singing..
but thank you for the help! i guess its just different for different people too
Quote by chrisburkitt
thank you for the help people.... i'm slowly getting there, i'm finding that if i play the songs over and over whilst watching a program on tv, eventually i start to take more notice in the tv than the guitar.... so instead of just trying to play and sing, i'm trying to concentrate on other things before i start the singing..
but thank you for the help! i guess its just different for different people too

I learn by singing the song first...knowing it by heart so I can hum every note in my head by listening to it over and over. After that, I tackle learning it on guitar.

It makes it easier for me this way because I know what the tune should be in the first place. Music notation or tabulature helps as well

Chris