ok..so their both really good for classic stuff, right? But the only diff is that 848 has true bypass?

And, true bypass simply means that the tone of the amp or guitar does not get affected? If i wanted to upgrade a vox 847 to a true bypass, i have to re wire the whole thing?

so, is it worth it to get the vox 847? does it really affect the sound or instead enhance it?

*i'm only asking this as the 848 is strangely rare here in Singapore*
I've HEARD that the V848 is really hard to mod, so if you're considering that, get the V847
There are some slight circuit differences in the V848 in addition to true bypass, nothing major but it is a little more treblier and quackier than the V847.

True bypass will only affect things when the wah is off. The problem with not having true bypass on a wah is they load down the guitar signal which can make things seem duller when it's off, tone suckage basically. The V847A uses a buffer now to fix that, the V848 uses true bypass. You'll have to rewire a few things and get a new switch, there's the wah mod thread and a number of sites that can help you if you get confused.

Quote by Horlicks
I've HEARD that the V848 is really hard to mod, so if you're considering that, get the V847

The V847A is the more difficult one to mod because of the SMD parts. As far as I know the V848 is still using standard parts.
hm..so...the sound is actually ''enhanced'' when the 847 wah is on? so it doesn't make the sound duller when the wah is switched on? then, can't i just leave it on?

and, if the 847A or the 848 can't be modded very easily, is the 847 any easier? What can i put into the pedal to enhance the sound?

and...can the wah actually affect me that much? people don't normally switch it on right in between notes right? theres normally a long pause, then the wah kicks in? but still...anyway to mod the 847?
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by NoobOnZone
hm..so...the sound is actually ''enhanced'' when the 847 wah is on? so it doesn't make the sound duller when the wah is switched on? then, can't i just leave it on?

No, true bypass only affects the wah when it's off. Sure you can leave it on, it's going to sound different though.

and, if the 847A or the 848 can't be modded very easily, is the 847 any easier? What can i put into the pedal to enhance the sound?

The V848 can be modded as well the V847 easily. Look in the wah modding thread in GB&C for more info on modding.

and...can the wah actually affect me that much? people don't normally switch it on right in between notes right? theres normally a long pause, then the wah kicks in? but still...anyway to mod the 847?

Most people will just switch their wah on in the middle of a song. It's going to be more trebly and thinner if you leave it on and all the way forward, it'll sound nasally if you leave it in the middle, and all the way back it'll sound bassy. Sweep through that and you get the wah sound.

and, is there any diff between the 847 and the V847? or are they the same?

They're the same. The V847A and the V847 differ though.

If you're going to mod either the V847 or V848 will do just fine. Just don't get V847A if you decide to mod. The Dunlop Original Crybaby is fine for modding as well.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Sep 9, 2008,