what does it mean when someone says your instrumental music is "too"experimental?

They probably mean it's self-indulgent wank. Whether that's a bad thing or not is subjective. You might enjoy masturbation a lot more than pleasing your listeners.
It isn't a bad thing. Acid Mothers Temple could be considered too experimental by some people, and I love them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
translation: It probably sounds good (to a small number of people) but I hate it.

edit: I would probably call jandek experimental but I like it sometimes, however I only feel like lietening to it sometimes.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Their saying your emperimenting to much with what you can do, and most likely not pull it off well.
They are saying you should try playing guitar with your hands instead of your penis.
After realizing what your user name is, I'm going to assume that when people say it to you, they mean that you need to quit smoking pot before you play, because it only sounds good to you.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
eh, I like that 5 minute complete random noise sections The Mars Volta use so...
It means your mom.
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
its too out there...........too many alien noises and stuff, tone it down so they can understand it basically.
experimental means out there
it can be a good thing or a bad thing
talk to them more in depth about it to understand it
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
It means that your music sounds like total shit, but if you claim it's experimental, if someone doesn't like it, it's because "it's above them" or that "they don't get it."
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
if you're into experimental opinions should count for less than the horoscope.
I happily there will never be something that is too experimental.
Because if it was than there would be nothing left to experiment.
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure. - George W. Bush
I don't read books, but I have friends who do. - George W. Bush
Great spirits often meet violent opposition with mediocre minds - Albert Einstein
yes, they are probably mainstream and don't get it that you use breakdowns, wierd noises (let's say echoes) etc. don;t stop because of it, can you let us hear something?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
yes, they are probably mainstream and don't get it that you use breakdowns, wierd noises (let's say echoes) etc. don;t stop because of it, can you let us hear something?

No, usually when people say music is too experimental, it's because it's a cacophonous mishmash of unpleasant sounds.
such as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Neo Evil11

Break downs and echos are experimental?
Quote by rizo299
Break downs and echos are experimental?

in the time echoes was written
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Either, they think it's shit, and they don't want to hurt your feelings

It's self-indulgent wank and actually could be done by playing random notes on random instruments by anyone

Or, hopefully they just mean it's not to their tastes, because it's very experimental...all that means is that mainstream audiences wouldn't like it, but people who are into experimental music might well enjoy it, so you'd be better off asking them
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by SG Man Forever
No, usually when people say music is too experimental, it's because it's a cacophonous mishmash of unpleasant sounds.
such as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs

in what way echoes isn;t that?

love it, except for the actual "echoes" part
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
their saying they r small minded individuals who do not understand wat you are doing and think u should limit you're music to pre-set boundaries
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
It probably means that your instrumental music is too experimental?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
It means you think mixing trouser jazz, percussion and fret wankery is a good idea