I know this is an age old argument but I am having trouble finding the right string gauge. I used to use 9s with my original fender scale guitars but when I got my lespaul I converted to 10s but now I am trying 8s but not sure if I like them or not. The problem is I just can't stick to a gauge.

Any advice from others who have gone through this?

I play mostly rock, blues and shred sometimes.
Last edited by shadow11 at Sep 9, 2008,
if i were you i'll use 10s on the strat and 11s on the lespaul
shopping list:
Tech21 SansAmp GT-2 (check)
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
morley bad horsey II (check)
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sheepball
I always used to use 10's until I bought my Ibanez which came with 9's and I got hooked on the smaller gauges. I find that its a great way to get your playing speed and bending skills up and then going gradually up in gauge again when you are ready. Problem I have with smaller gauges is the strings' tuning goes out quicker and it doesn't work well with heavier distortions (less bass, thinner sound). Also, when playing chords, I find that the thinner gauges bend _too_ easily resulting in a guitar that sounds out of tune, especially playing bar chords.

I'm since moved to 9.5. Noone plays with these so my local store always have some ready just for me
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by nbroers
I always used to use 10's until I bought my Ibanez which came with 9's and I got hooked on the smaller gauges. I find that its a great way to get your playing speed and bending skills up and then going gradually up in gauge again when you are ready. Problem I have with smaller gauges is the strings' tuning goes out quicker and it doesn't work well with heavier distortions (less bass, thinner sound). Also, when playing chords, I find that the thinner gauges bend _too_ easily resulting in a guitar that sounds out of tune, especially playing bar chords.

I'm since moved to 9.5. Noone plays with these so my local store always have some ready just for me

9.5s?? cool never seen these before, which brands make them?
shopping list:
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
D'addario XL. As an added plus, the packet looks like a giant condom packet, so I'd recommend keeping a spare set in the see-through compartment of your guitar bag
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
ya i use daddarios too but i guess they dont have 9.5s here....they've only got 10s and 9s
what a shame
shopping list:
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
if you play downtuned a lot you should go with a bigger guage. i started with 9s then went to 10s and i love em
Quote by JilaX^
Just be a man and stick to 11s

why is using heavier gauges manly? it's just a personal choice
but i have to give u credit for making me laugh for a second
shopping list:
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
Quote by psychoism
why is using heavier gauges manly? it's just a personal choice
but i have to give u credit for making me laugh for a second

It was a joke

I prefer heavier strings, (Granted I play a Les Paul like guitar so it's more like 10.5) it just allows you such a powerful tone compared to the thinner strings. Of course, if you're going to be shredding like a madman slimmer strings might do you good, but still.
Quote by JilaX^
It was a joke

I prefer heavier strings, (Granted I play a Les Paul like guitar so it's more like 10.5) it just allows you such a powerful tone compared to the thinner strings. Of course, if you're going to be shredding like a madman slimmer strings might do you good, but still.

absolutly
shopping list:
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
For lower tunings the most ideal thing if your playing in around A or B standard like me has to be Earnie Ball- Not even slinkys which are 12's. i used to use 11's but they would easily go abit out. However 12's hold the tuning up really well, the only problem with these is that some of the higher strings are really tough to do lead work on since there so thick !
Any ideas of what could be a good move ?
Id just use .9 on the fender .10 on the gibson, the two feel better with those I think.

If you tune lower than half a step down, you may want to go .10 and .11 though, depending on how low, maybe higher than that.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^