Ok so my brother decided he wants to sell his squire strat to me for like $25. So i had a few questions.

To answer most of your questions beforehand, i want to play metalcore/ post-hardcore stuff. I've played for almost 2 years. And that's about it i guess.

I'm want to give it more of a metal/metalcore-ish sound, but i'm not really sure which pickups are good for it, etc. Right now i was thinking about getting this http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-KH20-Kirk-Hammett-Pre-Wired-Pickguard-Pickup-Set-301517-i1323644.gc but i'm not really sure if it's any good, recommendations please?

Next, what's a good amp? I want to spend maybe $350 max, but i'll have to see how much money i can make. Right now i have my eyes on this. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944773-i1168992.gc

Also, what are some good pedals? I've never owned any before, but i think it's time to get some and i'm not really sure which type i'll be interested in,

Thanks for your help.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

Wow your making the most basic of mistakes.
K, do NOT get any of the spiders.
And i suggest you get a new amp before a new guitar.
Try a roland cube 60 out.

EDIT: also do not just throw some nice pickups into a really shitty guitar.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Looks like a good deal. For 25$ you cant go wrong imo. I'd let it setup well by a professional, and that guitar might be a good player.
As for the amp:
Go for a second hand tube amp. I think for 350 you can find something good.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Firstly, if you're going to be looking at humbuckers, you need to do some routing on the guitar, so the buckers fit.

Don't get a spider, they're terrible at everything (I have one, it sucks), look into something like this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482910-i1413607.gc

And you don't need pedals really IMO, although I'd suggest a floor tuner & a noise supressor

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by LaGrange

EDIT: also do not just throw some nice pickups into a really shitty guitar.

Why not? I've held squiers that had a quite nice feel and neck. So why couldnt he change the pickups AND wiring to get an actual good beginner guitar?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I swear he is trying to make EVERY basic mistake you can make in gear setup.

1. Don't put good pickups in a bad guitar (no amount of electronics can make shitty wood sound rich and dense)

2. If you can't resist the urge to put good pickups in a shitty guitar, atleast make sure they fit.

3. Line 6 = no no on tone. I agree the roland is your best option.

4. You want pedals but you don't know which ones? wtf? Once again electronics will not suffice for a lacking instrument.

5. ........ just plain no
1. ^I dont agree.
That guitar with good pickups and good wiring wont even cost him 300$. Name me one guitar that costs less than 300$ and has good pickups AND is made of good woods, which will give you that "rich and dense" tone? We are talking about budget guitars here, offcourse it wont sound like a 3000$ PRS. As long as the squier has a comfortable feel and plays easy after it has been set up well, it should do very well.

2. true, but a little rooting isnt the end of the world, is it?

3. - ok.
- No. Tube amp is the best option.

4. First get your guitar. Later on you can get pedals if you know what you want.

5. irrelevant to this whole thread.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
actually underneath the pick guard squires just have like a big open box so humbuckers fit straight in (i put one in my strat copy and my mate has a squire and he did the same) so the pickups will fit, also emgs dont really take the wood into account for their sound (this is obviously a good thing here)

so i think you should go for it, and i reccomend a Roland cube amp and not a spider.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
As far as amps go on this i agree with lp_cl. A cube with effects doesn't sound as good as a second hand tube you can pickup for the price, as long as you have an OD pedal to add decent distortion.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Squiers are commonly routed HSH, no routing required.
Usually a decent set of pickups, and a decent amp should do the trick.
If it's agathis, you want to play metal, which is high gain, which agathis is best at, if it's alder, even better, you'll be able to do clean well as well.

Now on the amp, used Tube amp is the way to go.

$25 for any guitar really is a steal.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

$25 for any guitar really is a steal.

Exactly. I found it pretty hard to pass up this offer.

@insatyGuitar: Give me a link to a guitar that will cost around $275(around what i spending on the guitar if i do decide to change the pickups) that will have this "rich and dense" sound you're talking about.

Anyways Thanks LP_CL and everyone else.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

also payed a year ago 20$(200$ mexican) for a strat but i wouldnt invest on pickups for such guitar

so I think it a good idea to get the guitar but not to invest on it
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by LP_CL
1. ^I dont agree.
That guitar with good pickups and good wiring wont even cost him 300$. Name me one guitar that costs less than 300$ and has good pickups AND is made of good woods, which will give you that "rich and dense" tone? We are talking about budget guitars here, offcourse it wont sound like a 3000$ PRS. As long as the squier has a comfortable feel and plays easy after it has been set up well, it should do very well.

2. true, but a little rooting isnt the end of the world, is it?

3. - ok.
- No. Tube amp is the best option.

4. First get your guitar. Later on you can get pedals if you know what you want.

5. irrelevant to this whole thread.

1. a better guitar can be gotten for $300 (they make stuff better than agathis that costs less than that), and with that guitar you still have room for improvement in the future such as pickups and such. so you are limiting youreself in the future (and if you don't care about the future you waste a lot of money) by getting a guitar with lame wood but everything else great.

i mean a crappy-running car with nice paint and a loud exhaust is still not worth much, but a nice-running car that needs some new upgrades has plenty of room for improvement

2. if he is asking questions involving squier guitars and budgetting, he probably doesn't have the skill or money to get that kind of work done. and also, i believe EMG makes fender replacement pickups that will sound similar to the 81/85 tone

3. once again if money is a big factor, tube is out of reach as far as high gain goes (especially with pedals) because with high gain stuff like metalcore you need a lot more heardroom, and therefore more volume, and MORE MONEY

4. agreed

5. so?
Quote by insatyrguitar
1. a better guitar can be gotten for $300 (they make stuff better than agathis that costs less than that), and with that guitar you still have room for improvement in the future such as pickups and such. so you are limiting youreself in the future (and if you don't care about the future you waste a lot of money) by getting a guitar with lame wood but everything else great.

i mean a crappy-running car with nice paint and a loud exhaust is still not worth much, but a nice-running car that needs some new upgrades has plenty of room for improvement

I still do not agree. Nobody keeps playing a 300$ guitar. If you talk about the future, you will have to admit that which guitar he ever buys for 300$, he will get rid of eventually anyway for a better one, IF HE KEEPS PLAYING. So buying a 300$ guitar with SLIGHTLY better woods and crappy pickups/electronics (in the prospective to upgrade them later) will always end up with one of the next scenario's:
- sold to buy another better guitar (range: 1000$? 2000$?)
- laying there rotting and unemployed.

So: Why should he invest even more in a beginners guitar
(buying a slightly better wood guitar = 300$, upgrade later = 300$) if he is not going to keep that guitar as main axe anyway?

So who's looking in the future now?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^Exactly. I don't plan to use this as my main guitar. Only reason i thought about doing this was because how cheap he wanted to sell it to me for. Hell, i could resell it just as it is right now and make a good ammount of profit off of it.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp