I have a great sounding 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat (with the American Standard floating tremolo), but it goes our of tune very often. I have resolved to inserting 5 springs in the cavity and bringing the bridge flush with the body (resulting in no movement), but it still goes of tune somewhat.

How do you set your bridge so that it stays in tune whilst using the tremolo?
you need to keep the contact points, including the nut cuts, lubed.

graphite from a pencil tip works.
so does a drop of 3 in 1 oil.

worst case, if you want more trem use, and just cant seem to keep the trem balanced. then pick up a set of locking tuners.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
it is more often the nuts fault and not the bridge for tuning stability, my advice is to check the nut out!....
yes, always check your nut.

seriously tho, it'll be a combination of everything. because, american made strats can usually float without too much trouble. so, yeah seems like there's a problem.

also, how you string up the guitar, and how old the strings are...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
my squier showmaster is like that. but it stays in tune fine.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I've got a MIM Deluxe Players and have the bridge floating. Stays in tune and haven't had a problem. Like was said above, be sure to lubricate (almost) every point of string contact on the guitar. Simple graphite from a pencil works fine, or you can use (much more expensive) Big Bends Nut Sauce, or (less expensive, but just as good) GHS Graphitall.

You'll want to put a little under the string trees (where your string makes contact under them), in each nut groove, on the saddle grooves, and even a little where the string makes contact on the bridge, right before the saddles.

Strings usually go out of tune because the string binds or "hangs up" somewhere when you do a bend or use the tremolo. Lubricating all the contact points keeps the string from sticking anywhere, and allows it to slide back into place after strong bends or tremolo abuse.

Also, I have vintage style tuners on mine, but I don't string my guitar conventionally. I use a "locking" type of string wind around the pegs that also helps keep my guitars in tune.

This link shows how I do it: http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for your help.

A related question - how many springs do you use in the cavity in order to avoid individual strings going down in pitch when you bend a lower string (example: bend the G string on the 15th fret whilst hitting the B string (at the 12th fret) at the same time?

Cheers