Is it true that tube amps dont sound good when cranked?

I usually dont play that loud due to disturbing the neighbours etc.

So will my tone sound any better when the volume is turned abit louder?
depends on the amp, and what style of music you are playing.

which would be...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Oh jesus, it's gone full circle now.

Generally the consensus is, the more you crank it, the more harmonic distortion is produced, blah blah, sounds more musical.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Don't forget pickups and Speaker Ohms
Gear
-ENGL Fireball Head
-Vader Cab 2X12
-Maxon OD-808
-MXR-10 Band EQ

ESP Custom 25.5" Scale
-Duncan Distortion SH-6 (B)
-Duncan 59 SH-1 (N)
Quote by x88x88x88x88x
Don't forget pickups and Speaker Ohms

no, do forget them

you'll find volume peaks at around 6 and you just get more distortion

tbh mine sounds worse at 10 that it does at 6, thats the sweet spot
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
no, do forget them

you'll find volume peaks at around 6 and you just get more distortion

tbh mine sounds worse at 10 that it does at 6, thats the sweet spot

^ thats exacylt wut I meant by that depends on your speakers ohm rating onto wut level is the sweet spot which is slightly different on every amp :stickpoke
Gear
-ENGL Fireball Head
-Vader Cab 2X12
-Maxon OD-808
-MXR-10 Band EQ

ESP Custom 25.5" Scale
-Duncan Distortion SH-6 (B)
-Duncan 59 SH-1 (N)
My tube amp sounds really good at about mid way on the vol knob. But loses alot of its tone when turned below 2 or 3. So unless I can turn my amp up to sound good I dont turn it on and use my little SS.
Quote by x88x88x88x88x
^ thats exacylt wut I meant by that depends on your speakers ohm rating onto wut level is the sweet spot which is slightly different on every amp :stickpoke
...right

The speaker/transformer ohmage bears a tiiiiny difference to tone, but it doesn't affect the breakup much.

The 'sweet spot' of operation will vary amp to amp, but that's because of circuitry, tubes etc and perhaps the speaker (although only if the wattage is low enough to overdrive the cone).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Finally he speaks.. But unfortunately didnt answer the question fully lol

What genre of music do you play? Considering you have Emg's im guessing metal
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot
Oh jesus, it's gone full circle now.

Generally the consensus is, the more you crank it, the more harmonic distortion is produced, blah blah, sounds more musical.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Although tube amps sound better when you hit the "sweet spot" in volume, they still tend to sound better at low volumes than (most, lower-end) SS amps.

The technique you use to get your tone may differ according to the volume (and amp!) you are playing. When playing at low volumes, I use more gain, either through the amp or through my eq pedal in front of the amp for a little boost. This sounds harsher and raspier than getting power tube OD. When playing at higher volumes, I use less gain & enjoy more power tube OD sounds.
Most single channel non-master volume tube amps sound good from 2 to 8.
But, seeing as you play metal, ignore what I just said.

Now, if you're amp has a gain knob, and you set it more than halfway at low volume, the amp will sound like bee's nest thrown in some Dr. Pepper for extra fizziness. It's a horrible example, but you get the point

You have to crank your master volume close to the max and start turning your gain up. That's when you get the best sound. That's also why you have to take wattage into consideration.

Oh, just try fiddling around with tube amps and you'll get the picture