So I'm trying to get a jazzier sound out of my Fender Strat and Yamaha Pacifica through my Fender Frontman, but I'm not so great when it comes to maneuvering around the knobs. Any suggestions? The only pedal that I have that might help is an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer with all the drive off, but I have no clue.
maybe roll off the tone to about 3 or 4, then roll the volume to 6 or 7. i wouldn't use the tubescreamer, just go straight through the amp. as far as amp settings, I usually have it around this.

Bass- 6
Mid- 7
treb-4
You want high mids and bass but low treble.
Use the neck pickup with the tone rolled all, or nearly all the way down.

Try flatwound strings.

Nothing else is needed.

You want a clean, and precise tone. Don't let bad EQ'ing muddy it.
Last edited by ze monsta at Sep 10, 2008,
Since you have a SS amp, use the clean channel, as super d00per clean as it can get, and take the TS out of the chain.

Mix the neck and middle PU's with one at half tone and the other with full tone.

Flat EQ.

Try it.
Single coil pickups aren't generally used for jazz, but it's been done. Use the neck pickup with the tone rolled down, and reverb is your amp has it. The settings I use are bass-8 treble-5 mid-5. But just figure out what sounds good to you.
Quote by Slash 602
Single coil pickups aren't generally used for jazz, but it's been done. Use the neck pickup with the tone rolled down, and reverb is your amp has it. The settings I use are bass-8 treble-5 mid-5. But just figure out what sounds good to you.

P-90's are single coils.
also, i find the 2nd pickup position on a fender strat to give the best open tone (2nd as in 2nd closest to you, out of phase neck and middle pickup).
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
i also have a front man and a strat mim and to get a jazz "noise" i use a boss ds-1 (mine is modified by a guy from ecuador but you'll get almost the same tone) take the tone down (little lower than half) the leven mid and distortion full. neck or neck middle pickup with tone in 7 and ecualize the amp on bass 8 and trebble 4 there are some intresting tones. The most important is that you find a tone that your confortable with.
Quote by imgooley
P-90's are single coils.

That's true. I generally find they're sound to be deeper than strat pickups, though, and therefore more suited to jazz. But there is no one tone that is superior. Take John Scofield. His tone is pretty much the polar opposite of the typical jazz tone, yet he makes it work perfectly in the context of his music.
Quote by Slash 602
Take John Scofield. His tone is pretty much the polar opposite of the typical jazz tone, yet he makes it work perfectly in the context of his music.

nah I wouldn't say that at all man, his basic tone is pretty much essentially a jazz-guitar sound, except that he adds some phat chorus on top and throws in some kind of booster/OD unit to get some grit.

a really unique jazz sound, I'd say Bill Frisell man.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
nah I wouldn't say that at all man, his basic tone is pretty much essentially a jazz-guitar sound, except that he adds some phat chorus on top and throws in some kind of booster/OD unit to get some grit.

a really unique jazz sound, I'd say Bill Frisell man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcsdbEtlTOc

I wouldn't call that a typical jazz tone. It's very trebely and bright, as opposed to the normal jazz tone. It almost sounds like he's trying to get a blues tone, actually.