Hello guys, I'm playing for 1 serious years (2 waste) and I like prog metal/rock/lead
I recently bought a Jackson DK2S (good). My amp is an Ibanez Tuneblaster R 25 (I know it). I use a stupid behringer Ultra Metal pedal to make an even more 'unholy mess of noise' out of it. I'm really looking for an (tube) amp that can do a solid Petrucci/Mustaine tone without a pedal (so that the amp itself is METAL). A Randall RG50TC was once recommended to me here but I read negative feedback about it. I want an amp that's isn't ****ed up on anything. My price range is like $600.
I hope someone can tell me a couple of amps I can check
Thanks!
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Bugera 6262

Used Peavey 5150 or 6505.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Thanks! Bugera's are really new aren't they. I never heard of them
Are Mesa Boogies any good for Petrucci tone?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks! Bugera's are really new aren't they. I never heard of them
Are Mesa Boogies any good for Petrucci tone?

Yea there still very new to the market... Stores are just now starting to get the line on the shelves..

Well considering Petrucci uses Mesa's I would say yes lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea there still very new to the market... Stores are just now starting to get the line on the shelves..

Well considering Petrucci uses Mesa's I would say yes lol

petrucci metal? DT to me isnt even metal. certainly a fricken nice tone though.
Quote by fiztech
petrucci metal? DT to me isnt even metal. certainly a fricken nice tone though.

You need to listen to more DT. They kinda cover most every genre out there.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by JesusLives
You need to listen to more DT. They kinda cover most every genre out there.

i dont think you are aware of the numerous subgenres that exist :p
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
dude, please do not get the bugera. check out a b-52 at-100
i bought the bugera and took it back and got the b-52
on the bugera the clean and lead share the same eq.
and the cleans on the bugera are shite.
the b-52 has Br00tal distortion and the cleans are beautiful and crisp.
check it out , and please dont get the bugera.
I think you would be more pleased with a B52 AT100, then with a bugera.

Look into that Randall you were suggested, too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Why settle for less than anything Mesa for those tones?

Do yourself a favor and get a used Mesa Rect-O-Verb. You won't regret it. If you get something that's just not up to par like a bugera or b52.. you'll end up wanting an actual mesa later.
Quote by intoodeep4182

Thanks for the info but is the amp called B-52 ?
Quote by razorback91

Are you actually in the Netherlands? Because that changes what you might be able to get...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
1x12? Ugh. It will sound too boxy. Go for at least a 2x12 if you must settle with b52.
Yes, I'm in the Netherlands. My local store only has Line 6 amps (and some others)
Quote by razorback91

Could this amp be anything?
Quote by razorback91

Quote by intoodeep4182

The clean and lead don't share EQ on the Bugera 6262, you're thinking of the 6260

Oh and TS, that Marshall Valvestate you posted a link to isn't a real tube amp as such, it's a hybrid. A friend of mine used to have one and it won't be sufficient for the tone you seek.
Last edited by binkythefurious at Sep 10, 2008,
Another amp I had my eye on: Peavey 5150-series
Quote by razorback91

5150 are great metal amps. Cleans aren't great though, not horrid, but nothing to write home about.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
maybe a used engl or koch? a mesa would be great, but i can't see you finding a used one for $600 in europe, unless you're extremely lucky. even a 5150/6505 used would be a stretch at that amount of money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dudes, I really changed my mind today. A transistor amp with a killer metal tone would be enough for me. I'm not a legend on the guitar so I think that the replacing of the tubes and stuff would only be a pain in the ass.
Today I stumbled upon these amps in a store:

Vox AD30VT-XL
Marshall MG50DFX
Line 6 Spider III 75
Roland Cube 60

These amps were discounted much (bad english probably). They were E 265 to E 329 so maybe I should look for a more expensive amp. These amps are sometimes praised to heaven in reviews but it seems that they all have (major) flaws too.

EDIT: they have a Engl Cabinet - E112 V too
Quote by razorback91

Last edited by 08L1V10N at Sep 13, 2008,
for metal i'd probably go with the cube (but i haven't tried that vox- it's certainly between the cube and the vox, the other two aren't very good at all).

your best bet is to try the cube and the vox, and also some high gain tube amps which are around your budget- just get which you prefer.

word of warning with the cube- make sure you don't get either the cube 15 or 20, as they don't have the r-fier amp model, which is what you want for modern metal tones. They also don't have the other amp models either, which make the amp more versatile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 08L1V10N
Dudes, I really changed my mind today. A transistor amp with a killer metal tone would be enough for me. I'm not a legend on the guitar so I think that the replacing of the tubes and stuff would only be a pain in the ass.
Today I stumbled upon these amps in a store:

Vox AD30VT-XL
Marshall MG50DFX
Line 6 Spider III 75
Roland Cube 60

These amps were discounted much (bad english probably). They were E 265 to E 329 so maybe I should look for a more expensive amp. These amps are sometimes praised to heaven in reviews but it seems that they all have (major) flaws too.

EDIT: they have a Engl Cabinet - E112 V too

Stay away from the MG and the Spider. Out of those four id say the Cube
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
just to add, you might as well try the spider and MG too. with any luck, it'll show you why they aren't well-regarded around here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
B-52 or Peavey XXX

you really wouldnt have to change tubes except...what, once a year?

but if you must now go with SS, look into the Peavey Vypyr's. They are damn fine SS amps and cheaper! Having played a Spider III, Cube, and the 75w Vypyr, the Vypyr owned.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
just to add, you might as well try the spider and MG too. with any luck, it'll show you why they aren't well-regarded around here.

I wouldn't risk it tone newbies generally get suckered in by them.
yeah, that's the problem. i just thought it was unfair to say not to even try them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll try the cube and the Vox AD50VT-XL. In Holland it's practically impossible to get those Peavey's. The cube actually looks like shit, anyone agrees?
Quote by razorback91

i wouldn't be too worried if it sounds better...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 08L1V10N
Another amp I had my eye on: Peavey 5150-series

one word: buy it

oops that was two words, but I still insist.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5