I recently just into playing as I've had a bunch of spare time in college and it's always been something I've wanted to do. I've looked at some books and some sites and all of them involved me learning to read music and things. I'm more interested in just learning chords, strumming patterns, transitions, and then putting them together to play songs I know. My goal is to be able to print out a tab of a song I enjoy, and be able to play it by the end the day. I'm not interested in writing, playing with a band, taking a theory class, I just want to play.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online free lesson site that covered these? Maybe a lesson that gives some general tips like how hard to strum, recommendations on transitions, how to strum at all, etc. and then maybe gave some songs that I could start out on.

Just seems like everything I've looked at is me taking a guitar/music theory class, wanting to see if anyone had any recommendations. Any help or tips are appreciated!

Thanks!
all that strumming and stuff is based on just listening to the cd and figuring out how hard they strummed , and generally feeling your way around
Hi.. Look on YouTube.. there's LOADS of people out there who put together some great free guitar lessons. Some that come to mind are

Lazyfret
threechordguitar (also has a website.. http://www.threechordguitar.com/ )
siggi5153
goldhat3
amidyville
Simpotts

Hope you find what you're looking for! Have fun

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100
I used vguitarlessons, ben lowry is a real great teacher. When you watch his lesson, you know that he's passionate about his work.