Typically, does japanese music use the kumoi or hirajoshi?

I'm not sure but i'm leaning more towards kumoi because it sounds more...... japanese.
hue
most of those names assigned to scales are retarded.... what the hell is a kumoi scale. Its probably just one of the modes of harmonic minor which people love to give a million names to. please name the scales out
Kumoi Scale: 1,2,b3,5,6

Almost like the Dorian mode (1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7) but without the 4 and b7.
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
most of those names assigned to scales are retarded.... what the hell is a kumoi scale. Its probably just one of the modes of harmonic minor which people love to give a million names to. please name the scales out

It's not, it's a pentatonic scale, as you can see from the formula in the post above me.
I can see where you're coming from with all the stupid names given to scales in Guitar Pro
Call me Batman.
Lol, it wasnt exactally a long time for him.

From my limited expierience.

Kumoi: 1 2 b3 5 6

Hirajoshi: 1 2 b3 5 b6

I remember I wrote a oriental sounding riff with this.

Wasnt the Hirajoshi the same thing? Sorry, Im pretty weak on my non-western scales.

EDIT: Sorry, Kumoi has a Nat 6th, and Hirajoshi b6th...

tbh, as far as japanese-styled music goes, the pentatonics (major, minor, and modes) seem to give off that feel (to me)
Last edited by Galvanise69 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by sock_demon
Typically, does japanese music use the kumoi or hirajoshi?

I'm not sure but i'm leaning more towards kumoi because it sounds more...... japanese.

By "more Japanese", are you referring to some experience you've had listening to Japanese music or just a sound you would associate with Oriental music?

Playing through them a bit, I prefer the sound of the Kumoi as well; I think the natural sixth lends itself to what I hear as a more Asian sound.
^ Agreed the Minor sixth sounds all together to minor. (I know thats a bit of a "well duh" statment")
Quote by Galvanise69
^ Agreed the Minor sixth sounds all together to minor. (I know thats a bit of a "well duh" statment")

Yep, the natural sixth gives it a cool flavor and closely resembles Dorian, which I like anyway.
Mmm. Dorian is very nice, I find it one of three of my main options over Minor progressions.

Usually its:

Harmonic Minor

Aeolian

Dorian

The tri-tone between 2nd and 6th is nice too.
Quote by Galvanise69
Mmm. Dorian is very nice, I find it one of three of my main options over Minor progressions.

Usually its:

Harmonic Minor

Aeolian

Dorian

The tri-tone between 2nd and 6th is nice too.

Yeah, you can do some cool things by working that tritone into a chord and then leading the voices outward.
Just outward to the Minor 6th Interval?

F - B to E - C.

Of course arranged the other way.

B - F - to C - E

could be nicer.

course its the same outward movment, from a V - I chord. (I think)
Quote by Galvanise69
Just outward to the Minor 6th Interval?

F - B to E - C.

Of course arranged the other way.

B - F - to C - E

could be nicer.

course its the same outward movment, from a V - I chord. (I think)

I was referred to the latter, but also something I do is to just keep going outwards for a couple more chords; if you do it right it gets a cool, sparkly kind of effect that's hard to describe. If I can find it somewhere on my computer, I'll send you a choral piece I wrote that uses the technique.
I'm meaning the scale that you hear most of the time when a shamisen or koto is played to let's say.... kabuki theatre.
hue
I'd say your average minor/major pentatonics would work. Remember that song about kung-fu? The fill that everyone seems to know so well uses pentatonics.
Mmm, that was my original reply.

Major, Minor Pents, as well as their modes.

A Lydian may also work surprisingly well.