I've thought about it some now and then and I figured I'll post.

How do I go over to a pick? Or start learning perhaps cus I love fingerpicking. When I learned fingerpicking I used a book and got good habits and pickingpatterns and learned what t use and when. Like sometimes it's better to use "p i m" instead of "i m i" etc. I can play stuff to a certain degree of complexity, but now when I want to learn to play with a pick, I have no idea what to start with!!

Up and down strokes...um, yes, but then what?

Can somebody help me?

I realice this is like any other newbie wanting to learn, but I feel it IS different seeing as I've gotten into playing in a certain way. I'll not just look at something and think "Oh, I'll try and play this" but worry about different patterns and tricks I'm used to and wonder about it. Meh, I can't explain, but it's a mentality type of thing.
Quote by ChrisN
...but before our bassist moved on to bass, he played guitar. He was trying to learn barre chords. To make his fingers stay, he sellotaped his whole hand to the fret board.
Then he got cramp and couldn't get the tape of without scissors.
Last edited by Sorella at Sep 9, 2008,
crosspicking is fun.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
You want to start from the ground up:
-Find a song that you like, that you think will be easy for you to play, that know you is played with a pick and try to play (I recommend the songs for beginners thread)
-Do the standard warm-up exercise- do 1-2-3-4, then one string down, then when you get do the last string do 2-3-4-5, and start going back up, and so on. Do that but pick it d-u-d-u.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh
You want to start from the ground up:
-Find a song that you like, that you think will be easy for you to play, that know you is played with a pick and try to play (I recommend the songs for beginners thread)
-Do the standard warm-up exercise- do 1-2-3-4, then one string down, then when you get do the last string do 2-3-4-5, and start going back up, and so on. Do that but pick it d-u-d-u.

Chromatic playing is ftl. But yes if your alternate picking isn't up to snuff practice

Just pick a random key or mode and just go up and down the scale in a box-wise motion, then move up and start with the next note of the key/mode so that I'd gradually get to the higher frets, and end up playing all notes of the key/mode in all the locations.

Do this using 3 notes per string (within the key/mode) so for eample in C major... E-string: 8 10 12 A-string: 8 10 12 .. so on with a DUD UPU DUD UPU DUD UPU and then descend with DUD UDU DUD UDU DUD UDU then move to the next note of the key.. so in C move to the D 10th fret E-string. this get's you used to all possibilites of alternate picking saving string skipping which you can work on later once you've built up your speed and precision.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Quote by GNRrocka
Chromatic playing is ftl. But yes if your alternate picking isn't up to snuff practice

Just pick a random key or mode and just go up and down the scale in a box-wise motion, then move up and start with the next note of the key/mode so that I'd gradually get to the higher frets, and end up playing all notes of the key/mode in all the locations.

Do this using 3 notes per string (within the key/mode) so for eample in C major... E-string: 8 10 12 A-string: 8 10 12 .. so on with a DUD UPU DUD UPU DUD UPU and then descend with DUD UDU DUD UDU DUD UDU then move to the next note of the key.. so in C move to the D 10th fret E-string. this get's you used to all possibilites of alternate picking saving string skipping which you can work on later once you've built up your speed and precision.

+1
But I still think you should do chromatic for at least a couple of days if you haven't ever played with a pick before.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's