Hey

I am buying my first electric guitar, and am wondering what sort of things I should look for when I go to test them out. I already play acoustic guitar, so I am looking forward to it!

I am thinking about a Fender Tele, so any feedback on them would be good. I like the music of Pink Floyd, Syd Barrett, YES, Franz Ferdinand and the Velvet Underground if that helps in any way

THANKS!! XX
Ultimate-Guitar has a reviews section. You should surf in there and read the reviews of Telecasters. This forum also has a search function. You should use it.

You are likely to get a lot of recommendations from people you don't know and who don't know you. Whatever you do, read a lot of reviews and search the forums for other opinions before you make a decision. AND TRY IT OUT! Whatever you get, even if you want to order it online, go to a guitar store and try it out. See if you like the sounds. See how it feels. It would also be good to take someone with you who has more knowledge about guitars.

Most people who buy electric guitars also buy amplifiers, I find. Do the same thing. Not all amplifiers are alike. Someone who likes death metal might like a particular amp, but it won't play Pink Floyd. Read reviews. Also, don't buy a cheap amp just because you think it's a starter amp. If you buy an el cheapo, you'll be wanting to get something better this time next year. You might as well get something decent right from the start.
I think a Tele and a Vox AD30VT would be a really good thing for you, saying you like all them bands ( BAD ENGLISH!!). And like the guy above, please try them out. It's a complete waste of time saying "Oh, I'll get that amp", ordering it, and then finding it's rubbish.

So yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Here's a tip: don't use multiple hard to read colors when writing a post. Oh, and make sure you allocate most of your money to the amplifier, which creates the majority of your tone. If you're spending less than $1000, I'd say spend at least 66% of your cash on the amp.
what's your budget (for guitar + amp) and what country are you in?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 ^

and i can't read half of your post because it's in yellow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ you can if you highlight it. it took me about 3 years to realise that if writing was too close to the background colour, that highlighting helped.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well basicly, if you don't have any experience with playing music, i would say something cheap, so if you find that parts about playing music you didn't knew that you didn't like you won't have wasted alot of money..

on the other hand if you are sure about what you do, you can devide it into 2 choices:

1. buying a fender strat or a tele. their is alot of cheaper copyes of the fender strat, some of them are shit, some of them are pretty okay, squier is fenders own "cheap version", and if you are going for a cheap guitar i recommend a squier strat, there is a little sound difference between a strat and a tele: the tele is a little more soft and sort of an jazz guitar sound, strat is a little more rougher in the sound.

2. the gibson les paul is a very diffenrent guitar from fender strats and teles, setup is very different, a very flexiple guitar able to play any genre... also the les paul has a shorter neck, meaning that the frets are smaller, but it can produce as high tones as an fender actually ½ tone higher .. ephiphone is the cheaper version of gibson guitars, allthough they cost some what more than squiers.

Again these guitars are very different, both in tone, and also the actual playing, so try it out!!!
he says he already plays acoustic... maybe that was in the yellow bit, though.

i'd say the strat and tele tones are the opposite of what you've said. depends on which pickup is selected, of course...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well okay i don't have a tele, just that people who i know use them tend to play more jazzy / blues things, with strat players more playing rock.. ( and a little bit of metal /yngwie)
i have a strat, but seems to me that i can't get so pure tones as people who play tele, also the sound of a tele reminds me more of my alhambra spanish acoustic guitar that i have played for many years..

anyway if this guy has played acoustic before, think that a les paul will be alot easyer to play because of neck thinkness and scale lengt..
I think a Tele and a Vox AD30VT would be a really good thing for you, saying you like all them bands ( BAD ENGLISH!!). And like the guy above, please try them out. It's a complete waste of time saying "Oh, I'll get that amp", ordering it, and then finding it's rubbish.

This is some good advice -- Teles are good, versatile guitars. Since you are into doing Pink Floyd, be sure to try out a Strat, as well. They are similar, but IMO strats are more comfortable to play. A strat would also have an additional pickup for variety & cancelling hum, and a vintage-style whammy bar.

+1 on the spending more $ on your amp than your guitar -- a great amp will make a so-so guitar sound good, but a crappy amp will make a superior guitar sound undeservingly poor.
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
well okay i don't have a tele, just that people who i know use them tend to play more jazzy / blues things, with strat players more playing rock.. ( and a little bit of metal /yngwie)
i have a strat, but seems to me that i can't get so pure tones as people who play tele, also the sound of a tele reminds me more of my alhambra spanish acoustic guitar that i have played for many years..

anyway if this guy has played acoustic before, think that a les paul will be alot easyer to play because of neck thinkness and scale lengt..

i don't have a tele either, lol, but i've played a bunch... i' dhave said the tele was mostly used for country, blues and rock to be honest, while the strat is a little sweeter sounding, the tele a bit brasher and twangier. but it depends a lot on the hardware used, pickups, etc. etc. etc.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, just pointing out for the benefit of the threadstarter...

you're probably right about the LP, i don't really play acoustic...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?