Page 1 of 2
I don't exactly follow politics too often (since most of the time we are force fed american stuff) but I have been listening to the radio and watching tv the past week and there is some issue going on with a few of the party leaders not willing to show up for a debate if the green party leader comes. Apparently the Green party has a big following building up in Canada, even more so than some of the parties which were involved.

We always look at American politics and laugh at how mixed up everything is but honestly guys, what the fvck is going on here? I thought we lived in a democracy and suddenly one party isn't allowed to speak in front the country because a few other leaders are scared or something? Something seems a little wierd about the situation, what do you guys think about the situation if anything?

If you don't know what's going on and I wasn't clear enough just check out CBC.com or something it is probably top story.

Btw, I don't vote I couldn't care less who wins as long as they aren't a Nazi party.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Last edited by Jericho114 at Sep 9, 2008,
I'd vote for this country's green party if they weren't against nuclear power.....and basically stopping all economic progress in this country for the sake of 3 birds in a pond :-/
We aren't a democracy ; we're a Constitutional Monarchy. And besides, the Green Party sucks ass.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
It's not about whether you're voting for them or not though. They still deserve a chance to speak, the same as every other party.
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
Quote by rickyy
We aren't a democracy ; we're a Constitutional Monarchy. And besides, the Green Party sucks ass.

What party doesn't suck?

..and we're a democracy dude.

Quote by Deja_Vu
It's not about whether you're voting for them or not though. They still deserve a chance to speak, the same as every other party.

Exactly, instead of trying to be a smart ass maybe you (ricky)could take a minute to extract the REAL purpose of what my post is about.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Quote by Jericho114
What party doesn't suck?

No, we actually are by definition a constitutional monarchy. The Queen is our leader on paper, and the Governor General is her representative, but all they really do is ceremony stuff.
Quote by Deja_Vu
No, we actually are by definition a constitutional monarchy. The Queen is our leader on paper, and the Governor General is her representative, but all they really do is ceremony stuff.

You still elect leaders. That makes it a democracy.

It's both, just like us.
Quote by Jericho114
What party doesn't suck?

Exactly, instead of trying to be a smart ass maybe you (ricky)could take a minute to extract the REAL purpose of what my post is about.

hes right...i dont know what time you come from
EDIT: nm lol
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
It doesn't really matter because when it comes down to it it will be Harper vs Dion.

Personally, I'll be picking Harper.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Say what you want.

Dictionary.com is my source.

1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Quote by rickyy
It doesn't really matter because when it comes down to it it will be Harper vs Dion.

Personally, I'll be picking Harper.

Who cares, if you want to talk about who you want to vote for take it to the Politcal thread. This thread is about a totally differant issue, maybe instead of blindly following a party you could take a second to question why your parties leader is scared to debate with a fellow leader. A women none the less. Sounds like a couple pussies to me.
Quote by red18420

Quote by Jericho114
Say what you want.

Dictionary.com is my source.

1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Yes, but we're also a Constitutional Monarchy. He's not wrong, we're officially a Constitutional Monarchy, but we're a Democratic nation.

Who are you guys all planning on voting for? I'm only 17, so I can't vote yet, but I'd probably pick NDP. Shame they'll never win though.
Quote by Deja_Vu
Yes, but we're also a Constitutional Monarchy. He's not wrong, we're officially a Constitutional Monarchy, but we're a Democratic nation.

Who are you guys all planning on voting for? I'm only 17, so I can't vote yet, but I'd probably pick NDP. Shame they'll never win though.

I never said we weren't, it was that guy saying we weren't a Democracy. I was just correcting him. That's not even the issue. Stay on topic at least if you're gonna say something so ignorant.
Quote by red18420

We still have ties to the Crown making our country both a Democracy as well as a Constitutional Monarchy.

In any case, I hadn't heard anything about this particular issue, and I've been trying to follow fairly close. I'll look into it more but if it's true it's just ridiculous really, on the other parties of course.

As of now, Harper has my vote.
Quote by Jericho114
I never said we weren't, it was that guy saying we weren't a Democracy. I was just correcting him. That's not even the issue. Stay on topic at least if you're gonna say something so ignorant.

I thought that was the issue...
If it is acceptable in a democracy to put up obstacles for political party in this way.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by Jericho114

I'm not meaning to call you out or anything like that, apologies if it comes across that way. And personally, I agree with you, it's ridiculous that some parties can speak but others can't. Everyone should have their chance, even if no one is going to take them seriously(not saying this about the Green Party, but some others might not be taken seriously)
Green party has met every requirement that was set out for them since last year when they weren't allowed in public speaking. One of which was getting a member in the house of commons, now the other party leaders are playing scared for some reason. Green party finished 3rd place last year in all the parties so although we might think no one takes them seriously, it appears to be quite opposite.
Quote by red18420

I don't want to see a majority government for either party, but I know that Harper is probably going to get the most votes so I'll likely vote liberal (or Green lol) just so that doesn't happen.

Though I think they're doing fine as a minority.
Quote by Archaon
I don't want to see a majority government for either party, but I know that Harper is probably going to get the most votes so I'll likely vote liberal (or Green lol) just so that doesn't happen.

Though I think they're doing fine as a minority.

As long as it's a minority government, it doesn't really matter what party gets elected. Most people will at least get some things that they're happy with, so it's as good of compromise as can be managed.
They Green Party actually would have had a voice if all the idiots in this country voted for the referendum last year. Sigh
Whats going on with the Green party and this debate, from what I've gathered so far, is this: 3 parties have said they will not participate in the debate if the CBC, and others, CRTC etc...are allowing the Green party a seat at this debate. Why? Because the Green party and the Liberal party have agreed, somewhere in the Atlantic provinces I think, that they will not be running competing candidates in some ridings. This to those 3 partys seems to indicate that the Green party and the Liberals in in cahoots together. Rightly or wrongly it is some opinions then that the "Liberals" would end up having 2 voices at this debate...other than that IDFK...
Greens are also a fringe party, meaning they will never get elected

Would you find Bush debating with a bunch of hippies? No.
Some of you don't seem to understand that it is because we have a minority government that this election is happening. The Conservatives have to kiss too much ass, bend on their policies, appeal to others etc.. with other parties to get anything passed through Parlament, and government has become ineffective. Don't you want an effective government in place????
Quote by DeanESPJackson
Some of you don't seem to understand that it is because we have a minority government that this election is happening. The Conservatives have to kiss too much ass, bend on their policies, appeal to others etc.. with other parties to get anything passed through Parlament, and government has become ineffective. Don't you want an effective government in place????

I think Canadian's in general view all government to be garbage no matter who you vote for. So putting two parties in that can't do anything seems like an ok thing, that way they both cancel out each others stupid ideas, kinda like rams butting heads over pride.

Personally I think we need a whole new system, but that's a topic on it's own.
Quote by red18420

the green party get more vote at every election , and if they participate to the debate they will probably get even more vote , its a conspiracy
I actually do try to follow Canadian politics and Im quite ripped that the Green party isnt allowed into the debate. If they arent allowed in, the Bloc Quebecois shouldnt be let in either because they are a Quebec only party. Does the rest of the country give a crap what they think, no, but they are still allowed in. The Green Party now has a MP and have over 300 people running in the upcoming election. Just a few more and they would have a representing them in every riding. So ya, those are my two cents.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I have a feeling that in a couple decades, the Green Party will be major contenders in Canadian politics. Our generation is a lot more environmentally conscious.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Hanzi_G
I have a feeling that in a couple decades, the Green Party will be major contenders in Canadian politics. Our generation is a lot more environmentally conscious.

I agree 100% and I believe the other parties know it also. Hence the situation at hand. Personally they are shooting themselves in the foot, if they just let them speak at the event no one would take them as seriously as they are going to now.

I believe you have green party and Catholic church mixed up.
V
Quote by red18420

apparently it has something to do with the other parties being involved in the plan to make north america into one country.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by DeanESPJackson
Whats going on with the Green party and this debate, from what I've gathered so far, is this: 3 parties have said they will not participate in the debate if the CBC, and others, CRTC etc...are allowing the Green party a seat at this debate. Why? Because the Green party and the Liberal party have agreed, somewhere in the Atlantic provinces I think, that they will not be running competing candidates in some ridings. This to those 3 partys seems to indicate that the Green party and the Liberals in in cahoots together. Rightly or wrongly it is some opinions then that the "Liberals" would end up having 2 voices at this debate...other than that IDFK...

This man is as close as its coming.

Elizabeth May, the green party leader has given her backing to Stephane Dion on several issues, thus The NDP an Conservative Party are looking to block May from being allowed to debate becuase it is in essence giving the Liberal party a second voice in the debate.

The Green Party is aware its not going to win the election or make major inroads in this election thus May has backed the leader of a major party who can do the most for what her party lobbies for, its not completely arbitrary and legally May has no real right to participate in this debate according to the canadian legal council and the CRTC.

personally the election bothers me as outside the bloc, no other party was threatening nonconfidence, the minority goovernment, while working slowly was working fine. This election is the finest example of a partison politics coming before the good of the nation, nearly 300 million spent on an election a year early for the hope of a majority for the conservatives in which they will run a a personality campaign rather than an issues campaign because they haven't done anything that significant while in office yet

canadian politics hurts my head sometimes
Well guys at least we know our democracy somewhat works. Some of the party leaders have agreed to talks with May involved. Glad to see the issue being looked into more than I thought it was
Quote by red18420

Quote by justin_fraser
I actually do try to follow Canadian politics and Im quite ripped that the Green party isnt allowed into the debate. If they arent allowed in, the Bloc Quebecois shouldnt be let in either because they are a Quebec only party. Does the rest of the country give a crap what they think, no, but they are still allowed in. The Green Party now has a MP and have over 300 people running in the upcoming election. Just a few more and they would have a representing them in every riding. So ya, those are my two cents.

if the bloc quebecois wouldnt exist im pretty sure the conservative party would be majoritary and that would suck
Quote by Jericho114
Personally I think we need a whole new system, but that's a topic on it's own.

Quoted for truth.
ಠ_ಠ
Why is it that the liberals are the only party that are not against them speaking? could it be because of that little deal they recently had with the greens? It's not fair for the other parties to basically have to debate 2 candidates that support the liberal party.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by DespisedIcon
Quoted for truth.

I agree, lets cut all ties with the Queen so we can create an actual identity of our own.
I doubt that is what you meant, but
Quote by rickyy
I agree, lets cut all ties with the Queen so we can create an actual identity of our own.
I doubt that is what you meant, but

Actually I believe it's exactly what we mean. We use a system that is basicallly a modified version of a system we have used for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Humans have gotten smarter since then, and it's time we change this shit.

Too bad all the old bitches that control the government would have none of it.
Quote by red18420

Quote by Jericho114
Actually I believe it's exactly what we mean. We use a system that is basicallly a modified version of a system we have used for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Humans have gotten smarter since then, and it's time we change this shit.

Too bad all the old bitches that control the government would have none of it.

3 cheers for Canadian nationalism!
Quote by heavyairship
apparently it has something to do with the other parties being involved in the plan to make north america into one country.

Lol wut. What plan of this do you speak? I'm pretty sure if this were true thered be much more news coverage.
Quote by stevve
Lol wut. What plan of this do you speak? I'm pretty sure if this were true thered be much more news coverage.

Isn't it the North American Union?
Page 1 of 2