I got a fender stratocaster that i've had for about 5-6 months and i hate the pickups so much but the playabillity is great. i dont know to much about pickups but i need to get them changed. I've heard alot of good things about dimarzio pickups. The style of of music i like is led zeppelin hendrix hippie and pink floyd, like a mix between hippie music to 70s metal so what should i get. Any Help??
What's the problem with your current pickups? Do you have a problem with the tone they create?

What do you think could be improved, etc?
right now i got a behringer cuz i've only been playing guitar for like 2 years but saving up for a new like a marshall or fender
the bridge pickup sound almost like a banjo and ya i hate the tone there horrible i just dont like them
Quote by stratman1231
the bridge pickup sound almost like a banjo and ya i hate the tone there horrible i just dont like them

that could be your amp. but if you're not interested in geting a new amp right now then i'd suggest getting a humbucker for the bridge to get rid of that strat quack if thats not what you're after
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by stratman1231
right now i got a behringer cuz i've only been playing guitar for like 2 years but saving up for a new like a marshall or fender

Ok well definitely your money is better spent on a decent amp, not new pickups
ya well i defenetly need a new amp but i brought my guitar to my freinds house and hes got a vox amp and i still get that banjo sound
Is this a Standard HSS strat?

I agree, if that is the case, that the humbucker pickup is not that great.

That said, a new amp is still normally suggested before pups. That is what I did.

A Duncan Custom Custom is suited for those styles.

how much do you have for gear right now?
anything else besides 70's stoner rock?
home or gig?
where do you live in the world?
All these new pickup threads are annoying as hell. New pickups aren't going to make your crap amp sound better, guaranteed.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
fender hot noiseless. sickly pickups.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why are you on the bridge pickup? I'm mostly on the neck pickup when I use my Strat..

Me too. Neck pickups FTW!

Anyways, I say get a new amp
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
All these new pickup threads are annoying as hell. New pickups aren't going to make your crap amp sound better, guaranteed.

No, but they change the sound of your guitar regardless.

If its the tonal characteristics of the pickup that the user doesn't like, he won't like it with a good amp or a bad amp. If he thinks the single coil is too trebley and too thin, he'll feel the same whether he was a good amp or a bad amp. The difference is that you won't really be able to tell the difference between a very good single coil and a very bad single coil if the amp colors the guitar's tone too much, which cheap amps tend to do.

stratman:

Try using your neck and middle pickups more. Imo, the bridge pickup is pretty useless on a strat for most purposes. If you're after '70s hard rock tones, you're best off with a humbucker in the bridge unless you're after that pre-1970 Led Zeppelin tone, in which you've got a LONG way to go in terms of picking up the right amps and stompboxes. A low output humbucker, maybe a PAF (fat and warm) or t-top (bright and chimey) type of humbucker will make your bridge tone a lot more usable. The bridge single coil definitely has its uses, but a humbucker is overall more versatile in the bridge of a strat. Give it more girth and more power for both rhythms and leads, but if you'll definitely still want single coils in the middle and neck if you're after Hendrix or Gilmour tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 10, 2008,
google, Lindy Fralin Pickups.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan

Yes.

But an amp will likely improve your tone a lot more. I'm with the others, you could put a pet rock in the spot where my bridge single coil is and I would never know it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by The Master Plan

Google Rock Monkey Pickups
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
hey al112987

um i understand i need a humbucker in my bridge area but the middle and neck should i keep the original mid and neck pickup or still get new ones o and by the way ya im getting an amp first
Quote by al112987
No, but they change the sound of your guitar regardless.

If its the tonal characteristics of the pickup that the user doesn't like, he won't like it with a good amp or a bad amp. If he thinks the single coil is too trebley and too thin, he'll feel the same whether he was a good amp or a bad amp. The difference is that you won't really be able to tell the difference between a very good single coil and a very bad single coil if the amp colors the guitar's tone too much, which cheap amps tend to do.

That's a good way to put it. I use to think:
Amp = Quality of tone.
Guitar = Character of tone.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by stratman1231
hey al112987

um i understand i need a humbucker in my bridge area but the middle and neck should i keep the original mid and neck pickup or still get new ones o and by the way ya im getting an amp first

i know you were not asking me but I would focus on your new amp first. Which is what again? Then after you have had that a while, focus on the HB. That is what I did and see no reason to change my mid and neck pups - they're fine.

i called Duncan and a very friendly person helped guide me to the Humbucker that suited my style, guitar and amp best.
if you're saving up the hook the bridge pickup up to a tone knob and save for an amp.

and if you are looking in the intermediate range, don't jump on a solid state fender or marshall. just wanted to toss that out there.

you'll notice a difference wt new pickups, but you'll be blown away wt a new amp.

just my 2 cents.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011