Okay so I have a little knowledge about pickups (single coil, double coil, humbuckers are double coil etc) y'know. But I don't understand the difference between active pickups and other pickups. I looked on the internet because I know Metallica use active EMG pickups, but I can't understand all this technical mumbo-jumbo. All I know is they use a battery? Please Elaborate someone
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
The active emg's increase the output and give you more tonal possibilities. The battery powers the preamp which basically does wot i've just explained.
Oh right wow cool! lol so that's how they[Metallica] get that 'bell ring' tone in 'One'?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
yh i suppose. Also, i forgot to mention that emg's handle distortion better than most other pickups.
Active pickups have a preamp in them. This provides more output but a more sterile tone than passive pickups. The bell-ring in one is done by a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus amp, not the EMG's. Also, passive pickups can handle distortion just as well as active pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
Active pickups have a preamp in them. This provides more output but a more sterile tone than passive pickups. The bell-ring in one is done by a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus amp, not the EMG's. Also, passive pickups can handle distortion just as well as active pickups.

But the reduced noise due to less windings in the pickup (the preamp boosts the output to normal levels) the cleanliness of the tone (also sterility) means that they handle distortion incredibly cleanly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ah okay thanks guys ^-^ I get it now
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Quote by gm jack
But the reduced noise due to less windings in the pickup (the preamp boosts the output to normal levels) the cleanliness of the tone (also sterility) means that they handle distortion incredibly cleanly.

icnao. That makes good sense.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.