Hello UG'ers

I just started playing guitar about 3 months ago, but I've been lurking for a while. I have been making progress, and learned some simple songs from Three days Grace, Green Day, Blink 182, etc. The problem is I dont really enjoy any of these songs that much.

Most of my favorite bands are The Fall of Troy, Avenged Sevenfold, , Pantera, Black Label Society, Lamb of God, Iron Maiden, Atreyu, the list goes on.. Anyways.. I mainly got this guitar for my entertainment, and being able to play some of my favorite tunes, and then tackle music theory further down the road.

How would u recommend I go about my learning process to eventually be able to play these type of songs? I know that I'll never be able to play most of these at full speed for a year or two, but technique wise, I want to start developing a good skill set and good technical ability before I worry about speed. Any help?
You can't rush into things like going onto maiden keep with the basic songs and then move on to some harder ones. Just don't go from playing smoke on the water to something Lamb of God. If you want to learn some of the heavyer songs learn there main riff's so you have a base to build from. I've been playing just short of a year i still don't play much of that heavey stuff i've only just started on the A7X.
Hope that helps
you expect to play hard songs after three months of practice. I've been playing 4 years and still have trouble learning hard songs.
If you like Metallica, "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is pretty easy. That might keep you satisfied until you become better.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Better to go through the basics first so that you may later understand songs.

The first few weeks I was jamming with my friend (who also teaches me guitar), when I asked if we could learn a couple of Pink Floyd songs, he went on to say they were all not in standard tune except Wish you Were Here. Fast forward 3 months, I now understand a lot more scales and chords and I understand improvisation a bit better. We started doing "Us and Them" by Floyd, and I had a better understanding why it sounded well and why the notes worked well together and the underlying theory behind the song. Make no mistake, I am still very much a novice, but I'm working my way up!
scales are very important so learn some....but some easy maiden songs that you may be able to handle are no more lies, blood brothers and the wicker man
Thank you for your help guys. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction of some techniques that im eventually going to have to use in the latter stages of my playing?

Brockoali, I never said that I expect to play those songs. I was thinking that maybe I could learn a few songs/fragments of songs that I enjoy even tho I wont be playing them to speed and continuously work on them till I get the speed a little bit close to how it truly is. That would definitely motivate me, because I dont want to be playing scales everyday and have guitar become a chore as opposed to an enjoyable hobby, which is why I'm asking for help to be put in the right direction. =)
Quote by Sean51
Thank you for your help guys. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction of some techniques that im eventually going to have to use in the latter stages of my playing?

For a7x I suggest practicing sweep picking. Take a look at youtube for sweep picking lessons and try dome simple 3 string sweeps, then keep adding strings
Quote by xX Royal Xx
For a7x I suggest practicing sweep picking. Take a look at youtube for sweep picking lessons and try dome simple 3 string sweeps, then keep adding strings

Don't go near sweep picking yet - you need to learn how to play the guitar a bit before looking at advanced, flashy techniques. There's no point learnig how to embellish your playing if you have nothing to play yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com