Hey , ive been in my band for about half a year , but we've only started putting songs together , and we're trying to decide what tuning to use , i'd say we're a mix of , Killswitch Engage sorta chorus' and then verses are METAL , breakdowns/solos are HARDCORE like...proper heavy shit , so im asking in here , what tuning do you guys think I should use ?

Ive tried Drop A , Drop B , Drop C , Drop D, AND Standard ...and i prefer Drop A and Drop C...Drop A becacuse when you play open A on breakdowns and stuff...its just sooo beefy and sounds sooo sick , but because we also want the melodic stuff...amybe drop C is better ???

Thanks a bunch guys!!!
Learn to write in standard first (I'm sorry if your beyond that level, had to be safe)

I love the sound of D, it just sounds so thick and heavy to me, so drop D or D standard is my bread and butter.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
tune to drop D, then tune down 1 octave, yes, seriously, do it.

or pick whatever your vocalist can sing best in
i like 1 Full Step Down and Drop C. its like standard and drop D but MUCH heavier.
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Do what you want, there isn't a rule book to writing songs. Just whatever sounds best.
Metallica and Slayer played in standard, along with all the hardcore bands.
Depends.

If you want a lower sound, obviously you want a lower tuning.

Heaviness is determined by riffs and drumming, not tuning. My personal favorites are: AEADGBE, DGCFAD, and Standard E.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by z4twenny
tune to drop D, then tune down 1 octave, yes, seriously, do it.

or pick whatever your vocalist can sing best in

how the hell do you do that ? wouldnt a whole octave be REALLY LOW
Yes, it would be insanely low, and bad for your guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
^ yes, yes it would. i dunno, i figure if meshuggah can tune to the ridiculously low F#, then why not take it 2 steps further.
play with tuning, i like drop D most of the time but C sharp is really good cause its not as deep as C but still give u grunt. play with it some bands like between the buried and me have really strange tuning were the strings are all in different tunings cause they like how it sounds.
hmm...why does everyone love drop D so much ? Is there anything specific that makes it SPECIAL ? I mean...drop D and C are only a tone appart.... sooo
Quote by sebbsmith
Do what you want, there isn't a rule book to writing songs.

i agree with this. write your songs, if it calls for the need to go lower, then go lower, if it doesn't, then dont. alternate between different tunings, youll come up with riffs/solos/etc that you would never have thought of if you just stay in one tuning
yeah you got a good point there...but because my band alternates a lot , its hard to tell what tuning , cos , it sounds good in drop C and Drop A , but the harmonies and melodies sound better in drop C.....so is that the answer ?
C# standard is pretty amazing. dime used it, BTBAM uses it, Sabbath used it as well. and thats what my guitar is always tuned to. its pretty heavy.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by Swap-Meet

e
B
G
D
A
D

drop d isn't too bad either, i dislike when people over use it though

imo anything lower than drop d / dropping all the strings a full step is over kill

I'm going to say your opinion is invalid, since you posted Drop D and then said "Uhuk, Drop D ain't tew bad ayther, shucks."

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I'm going to say your opinion is invalid, since you posted Drop D and then said "Uhuk, Drop D ain't tew bad ayther, shucks."

and i'm not gonna argue with a retarded metalhead

and the only reason why I said it wasn't bad is cause I don't like to use it often cause too many Nirvana rip offs use it, as well as too many crappy metal bands
Quote by The_Sophist
Yes, it would be insanely low, and bad for your guitar.

but insanely low is brutal. and it would be fine for your guitar as long as your guitar was setup for it and you used thick enough strings.
Quote by Swap-Meet
and i'm not gonna argue with a retarded metalhead

and the only reason why I said it wasn't bad is cause I don't like to use it often cause too many Nirvana rip offs use it, as well as too many crappy metal bands

See you formed an opinion!

Good going, here's your gold star for the day.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by z4twenny
but insanely low is brutal. and it would be fine for your guitar as long as your guitar was setup for it and you used thick enough strings.

true...it would be BRUTAL , ive thought of going an octave lower E , but then i thought...shut up....haha
Quote by Guitarist_T
true...it would be BRUTAL , ive thought of going an octave lower E , but then i thought...shut up....haha

With a seven string it's possible, and with an 8 string it's easy.

So, I'd say, if you want to try REALLY low sounds, try 7/8 strings. But, if you want a mix of heavy chug and melodies, Drop C.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
With a seven string it's possible, and with an 8 string it's easy.

So, I'd say, if you want to try REALLY low sounds, try 7/8 strings. But, if you want a mix of heavy chug and melodies, Drop C.

well!...that seems understandable!
Ill do that for now , thanks guys , its been fun watching you all have a go at each other
Drop C sounds good for that stuff, course you could just get a seven string and raise the the seventh to a C and keep low-E as D
hue