so the lead guitarist in my band has a marshall mghdfx100(or whatever the super cheap marshall head is)but doesn't use it because right when you turn it on, it makes super loud noises and shit, but goes away after a few seconds, i opened it up, everything seems fine, but i'm guessing it's the power supply, because i would figure some of it's bigest loads are when it is first turned on

so here's the numbers on the power supply-
MG1000
GT-0504

i'm guessing thats the power supply itself, so does anyone know where i can find just the power supply?
I'll be the first and DEFINITELY not the last to say this: just get a different amp. Is it too late to return that thing or sell it? You can do SO much better for the money. I'm guessing you play ska?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Least the best sound you can get out of it is the satisfying sound of unplugging it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
turn it down until it stops making weird noises then turn it back up?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
There are way to many different electric gremlins plaguing the MG amps to diagnose 1. Its been said cut your loses. You could replace half the guts before finding the problem this week then next week it will be something else.
Never buy an MG amp. Ever. Why would you even want one to begin with? I would play through a pedal and my TV before I'd use an MG. And I have. Literally.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Never buy an MG amp. Ever. Why would you even want one to begin with? I would play through a pedal and my TV before I'd use an MG. And I have. Literally.

I should try that, my bedroom TV is analogue, and has two valves powering it. Valve TV Power + Boss SD-1 = Awesome.
goes away after a few seconds? First yea its one of cheap most poorly constructed amps you can get with low quality parts... but enough of the mg flaming...

can you describe the noise at all... pops, feedback, buzzing, hissing..... if its any of the last three is probably just because its cranked up really loud. It does have a lot of gain to it (not necesarily good sounding gain...) which can cause this...

But if it only does it for a few second and then quits, then whats the problem...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
um... the power supply is the wall outlet that you're plugging the amp into...

unless you actually know what you're doing in fixing a solid state amp, its probably not worth the try. you probably won't be able to troubleshoot it.
I think it's the fan.
No joke.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
no matter what volume the amp is on, it makes the same noise,

the sound is kinda like when you have a bad instrument cable, and you jiggle it around in the jack, it sometimes makes really awful noises

but it's not either guitar we've tried, or the jacks in our guitars, or the cables we've tried, or the input jack on the amp

and actually, the fan might be it, when we turn it on, it sputters for a second then turns on

why the hell is there a fan in there anyways? with how it's designed, that fan can't cool that head more than one degree farenheit.....

and btw sorry i don't know what it's called, but in a computer, the thing you plug your power cable into and it distrubutes power is called a power supply
Quote by Yngwi3
I think it's the fan.
No joke.
Yep, they all do it.

Edit: Okay maybe not.
These go to eleven...
guys it is not his amp so i don't get all the flaming?

maybe you can disconnect the fan easily or replace the power supply easily but in the end:

it may not be worth it

have you searched those part numbers on Marshall dot com or contacted them?
This threadtitle made me lol so hard.

"Marshall head, loud noise when turned on" - well, that's what it's meant to do!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by AdamDK
I should try that, my bedroom TV is analogue, and has two valves powering it. Valve TV Power + Boss SD-1 = Awesome.

It's not the same kind of valves. TV's use much crappier valves. If you want to check look up the ****ing ****er, it runs on TV tubes and crap.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
It's not the same kind of valves. TV's use much crappier valves. If you want to check look up the ****ing ****er, it runs on TV tubes and crap.

I was joking you prick.
It sounds like either a problem with the output transformer or something on the output board. The problem with modern amps is that most components are soldered by machines, so, without the proper equipment, you have to replace entire boards.

You basically have three choices...

1. Live with it.

2. Get something else. (my recommendation)

3. Take it to a qualified service tech and risk spending more on than it's worth.
TS, you've come to the wrong place. The UG community is filled with a bunch of morons who quite obviously don't read threads properly, and just need to keep on pushing that wagon!

Yngwi3 was right, it's more than likely the fan. It's a common problem with a slew of electronic products, not just an MG! If it's under warranty, use it! If it's not, just tell him to take it for a service, and any amp tech worth his salt will be able to diagnose the problem.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
TS, you've come to the wrong place. The UG community is filled with a bunch of morons who quite obviously don't read threads properly, and just need to keep on pushing that wagon!

MGs are known to be highly unreliable amps. And solid states are expensive to repair. Therefore, we have a reason to dislike the MG. I hated the MG before I knew UG hated it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are reasons to hate it, it's just the idiots who hate it just because it has MG in the name that discredit all the true MG haters.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
MGs are known to be highly unreliable amps. And solid states are expensive to repair. Therefore, we have a reason to dislike the MG. I hated the MG before I knew UG hated it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are reasons to hate it, it's just the idiots who hate it just because it has MG in the name that discredit all the true MG haters.

No shit. I know they are unreliable, I remember in January we had 6 come back into the store with problems. Sound like a small amount? We only sold 8. When did I ever say there isn't a reason to hate it? They aren't very good amps. Have you ever worked in a music store or in a studio? Do it for 3 months, and try and NOT hate the MG.

The fact is, most of UG just go with the flow, no matter how ignorant they are of the situation.

Read this thread. Go on, read it. How many people actually read the whole thread through, and how many just saw MG and wanted to be one of the ones to say "oh no, buy a new amp, one that I say even though I've never played it before!"

As you might have noticed, this is how a lot of threads turn out lately. The pit-monkeys show more intelligence than the gen. pop of GG&A.

But yes, it is those idiots causing problems. /rant
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by Cofflecakes
No shit. I know they are unreliable, I remember in January we had 6 come back into the store with problems. Sound like a small amount? We only sold 8. When did I ever say there isn't a reason to hate it? They aren't very good amps. Have you ever worked in a music store or in a studio? Do it for 3 months, and try and NOT hate the MG.

The fact is, most of UG just go with the flow, no matter how ignorant they are of the situation.

Read this thread. Go on, read it. How many people actually read the whole thread through, and how many just saw MG and wanted to be one of the ones to say "oh no, buy a new amp, one that I say even though I've never played it before!"

As you might have noticed, this is how a lot of threads turn out lately. The pit-monkeys show more intelligence than the gen. pop of GG&A.

But yes, it is those idiots causing problems. /rant

And yet they still turn out day after day and night after night to selflessly help posters.

And in this case posting "Get a new amp" would be good advice, so I guess it works out.
And if you read even the FIRST post through, you'd know it isn't his amp! So telling him to buy a new amp doesn't apply, so you haven't helped at all, have you?

My ranting isn't just about this thread, it's to do with the state of UG in general.
Quote by kyrreca
sorry its been three months, but i fixed it, it turns out it was the fan, so i used an old computer cpu fan