ok so, i somehow got convinced into giving guitar lessons to this 10 year old kid. ive been playing guitar for years and ive never given lessons.

so basically, im asking, what are some things i can teach a 10 year old kid to play or to practice? im stuck... because i never took lessons, i just learnt on my own through tabs and a few online lessons and just fooling around most of the time.

any suggestions or good lessons on here about giving lessons?

thanks
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
Ask the kid what songs he likes if its somethign stupidly hard then suggest a easier one then teach him that song just talk him through it when you teach him.
absolute beginner... it sucks. i went to his house last week and he's left handed and he was playing his guitar upside down... i almost killed myself
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
begin with some open chords (build them up a finger at a time if necessary) and find some simple songs to go with them so that they can practice playing songs rather than just chords.
when they get slightly more advanced and can play some more complex chords you can teach keys and the theory behind them. maybe some simple lead guitar but I'd stick with chords first until they build up some rythym.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
i thought him the intro to dammit by blink 182 and an A and E chord last week. is an hour lesson too long at this point? i was thinking 30min would be sufficient
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

half an hour may be better cause kids have fairly short attention spans so an hour might be pushing it a bit. try half an hour and see what works better
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
ok, thanks thats what i figured. 30min should be more than sufficient. i keep telling him to practice what ive tought him everyday and tonight im going to change around his strings... ugh... im really not into this lmao but his mom is smoking hot btw... might of been how i was tricked into doing these lessons
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

are you getting payed for it?
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
oh im definitely getting paid for it! lol fk doing it for free. lmao
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

I kinda got roped into teaching kids at church. I was taught open chords by an old folk player in church and the rest I've taught myself but because I recieved it for free, I said I'd help him out with teaching.

I guess it gave me some experience with giving lessons, but some cash would've been nice
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
rudiments(reading music), parts of the guitar, how to properly hold the guitar
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Quote by stackedxactor
rudiments(reading music), parts of the guitar, how to properly hold the guitar

Agree. Also bearing in mind that regarding holding the guitar that at 10, he's still got a while to grow into it.

Stuff to practice. When I started, one of the first things I learned was the basic 12 bar blues just using open E5, A5, and D5. It's so easy anyone can do it, and you can really rock out with it.

From there, I'd move to some open major and minor chords, and start teaching him to move the power chords up the neck.

Get him tapping his foot and learning to count.

The 1234 chromatic thing is good to spend a few minutes a day on, considering that with zero experience most of the challenge is just in learning to move your fingers and hold the note down. Start him at the 5th or 7th fret because he's not going to be able to do the 1-4 stretch at the beginning.

Teaching songs...i'd just stick to memorable riffs for now, not whole songs. Easy stuff like the crazy train riff, the opening rhythm from paranoid.

Good luck!
Get the kid to think your a super nice guy so he tells the mom.
Then nail the mom.
Then tell us how good it was and post a pic of her.

..... Yea just get him counting and teach him easy riffs and powerchords for now to keep him interested. My main focus would be getting in the moms pants.

Quote by mercedesisbenz
If you need lessons on how to teach lessons don't teach lessons.

Quote by nasstyman
ok, thanks thats what i figured. 30min should be more than sufficient. i keep telling him to practice what ive tought him everyday and tonight im going to change around his strings... ugh... im really not into this lmao but his mom is smoking hot btw... might of been how i was tricked into doing these lessons
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Sep 10, 2008,
ok... so your all not going to believe this. but i nailed her last night.... omfg shes smoking. sorry no pics as of yet. lol
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Quote by Sonny_sam
half an hour may be better cause kids have fairly short attention spans so an hour might be pushing it a bit. try half an hour and see what works better

I completely agree, I started playing when I was 7 and not only was my attenetion span long, but there is also another problem. Sometimes its hard for a kid to remember what you taught them last week and cramming an hours worth of info into a kids head at a time might be too much. It really depends on the kid though, and if you give them tab sheets on EVERYTHING you are trying to teach them.