I have a bass amp on the way, as I do play bass, but I figure that it is also a good opportunity to expand my palette of guitar tones. Specifically, I'm looking for a setup that can get a tone for doom metal ie. the act of imitating Black Sabbath. Obviously the bass amp is the most crucial step in terms of EQ and such, but I need some sort of overdriving device to get some distortion... overdriving the (solid-state) amp would just get some nasty square-wave clipping going on.

What is a pedal, if there is such a thing, that can help get that Tony Iommi riffing sound, something like the Master of Reality sound? I don't want that harsh fizzly sound that most "metal" distortion boxes offer. The best way to describe the desired sound is "thick".
A Big Muff would do the trick nicely. Or a Duncan Tweak Fuzz. I think it would sound cool, like a downtuned Fu Manchu "Evil Eye" tone.
Well the bass amp should have pre and post gain stages, just turn up the pre gain pretty far, and turn up the EQ until it clips the way you like it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
doom metal is awesome, thats what it is. listen to goblin c ock, or orange goblin, or especially nadja
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by htsktim91989
doom metal is awesome, thats what it is. listen to goblin c ock, or orange goblin, or especially nadja

you taking the piss, thats the proper name for them bands
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Quote by thegreenmile
what the hell is doom metal?

the mother of thrash metal, no sabbath would mean no metallica
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
EDIT: Wait a second... you were talking about guitar aren't you....
Dammit I got excited cause I could give advice for once....

We'lll....... Yeah, my advice doesnt apply at all then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by qotsa1998
A Big Muff would do the trick nicely. Or a Duncan Tweak Fuzz. I think it would sound cool, like a downtuned Fu Manchu "Evil Eye" tone.

Don't go for the big muff. I have a big muff(I play bass) and It is great for techno stuff, messing around, and for prog. However, the big muff kills the low end. And you want the low end, especially if you are in a metal type band. Although doom metal is more like hard rock, especially if you mean sabbath or orange goblin.

Try to find a BASS distortion or fuzz pedal. Guitar distortion and fuzz pedals tend to lose the bass frequencies.

Chris from Muse does use the big muff(youtube time is running out, or hysteria).
However, he has a distorted sound going out one amp, and a clean sound going out another, in order to keep the low end.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by zapatista89
the mother of thrash metal, no sabbath would mean no metallica

No Sabbath would mean no nothing. The birth of doom, heavy, stoner, sludge, thrash, groove, damn every metal.
You need to buy an Orange amp.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Big Muff

even if you don't end up using it as your primary dirt pedal later on you'll still love the thing

Quote by Arbitror
overdriving the (solid-state) amp would just get some nasty square-wave clipping going on.

some of the Sunn amps are actually solid state
Quote by thegreenmile
what the hell is doom metal?

Ye... What the hell is doom metal?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I'll second the suggestion of a bass distortion pedal if you absolutely need a pedal on the cheap. But if you're going for a traditional doom metal type of sound (like old school Black Sabbath), then overdriven tubes are the way to go, which means you should probably be considering what amp to get rather than what pedal to get. If you have to use a pedal for this, then you're looking at a serious chunk of change ($150 and up) to get that Master of Reality kind of tone. Anything below $100 new is going to give you what you described as a harsh/fizzly tone (because they're digital effects). If you're thinking about spending the big bucks, then take a look at Guyatone, Fulltone, Maxon, Red Witch, or Carl Martin.
Last edited by FlyingBeerman at Sep 9, 2008,
Although it is hard to find, Boss makes a Heavy Metal, (HM2) pedal which was discontinued a good 10-20 years ago. They are hard to find, but rather cheap (about the price of a usual pedal). The thing about the HM2 is that it is specifically designed for Genres such as doom metal in which the heavy drop tuned sound is required. It is absolutely the perfect pedal for the genre, but it is rather limited in scope, so if you want a pedal that will work with other genres it won't work that well.

Edit: As for the muff, it is not really good for the genre as it will kill your low end like crazy, which is extremely bad for the genre you want to play.

As for chris wolstenholme from MUSE, although he does bi-amp, the real secret why he doesn't lose low end is that he doesn't use a russian big muff, he uses a sovtek big muff. This is actually the pedal that all the greats who used a muff used. The sovtek muff was the muff that came before the russian muff, and it is most notably famous for the fact that it DOESN'T lose the low end. You cannot get a cliff burton or chris wolstenholme sound from any modern muff.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Sep 9, 2008,
just noticed your a newfie were the best but to answer your question idk maybe a muff
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!