I recently inherited a Gibson Melody Maker from my grandfather, and it is ancient. This is a really old model, because it has been in my grandmother's attic for over 30 years.

But the other day, I got up there and pulled it down. I cleaned the body, neck and headstock of the guitar, and stringed it. However, it seems to have a problem playing the higher notes. On the E string, the notes refuse to ring after the 12th fret. Is this a truss rod problem, or is it just a natural thing that comes with guitar age?

Basically, I need 2 questions answered.
1. What model is this?
2. Why do the notes not ring on the E string, and is is there anything I can do about it?

(pic for referance)

Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
raise the action via the tune-o-matic on the lower end
if that doesn't help... truss rod
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
firstly, what a score!

second - as mentioned above, adjust the action, or you might need to bring it in for a truss rod adjusement

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
How do I adjust the action? THis is my second guitar, and my first one never had to be adjusted.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Quote by Tyler Durden
firstly, what a score!

second - as mentioned above, adjust the action, or you might need to bring it in for a truss rod adjusement

You're obviously just judging it like that because it's a gibson, melody makers are 400 dollar piece of shit guitars, epiphone stuff is better, just because it's old doesn't mean anything.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
You're obviously just judging it like that because it's a gibson, melody makers are 400 dollar piece of shit guitars, epiphone stuff is better, just because it's old doesn't mean anything.

Or maybe it has sentimental value? How would you like to have a guitar from your Grandfather(Who you never met) to be passed into your hands? SOme people appreciate things liek that. I honestly could not give a shit if it is a Gibson or not. Just knowing it was his is good enough for me.

Please don't bring offensive comments into the thread.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Quote by Dwarfish
Or maybe it has sentimental value? How would you like to have a guitar from your Grandfather(Who you never met) to be passed into your hands? SOme people appreciate things liek that. I honestly could not give a shit if it is a Gibson or not. Just knowing it was his is good enough for me.

Please don't bring offensive comments into the thread.

I was bringing offensive comment to his
*Gibson fan kid voice* "WHAT A SCORE!"
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty

Actually, new melody makers are often considered exceptions to the "cheap Gibsons are crap" rule, along with old LP Juniors. I can't speak for older melody makers, though.

Edit: And I doubt that guy is a Gibson "fan kid." According to his sig, he doesn't even own a Gibson. Any free guitar is a "score." Especially a vintage one. Whether it's high quality or not, it's probably pretty valuable.
Last edited by werty22 at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by DSchmitty
I was bringing offensive comment to his
*Gibson fan kid voice* "WHAT A SCORE!"

Well in that case, sorry for my whole rant thing.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
i wanna say its a 1964, or a 1962. idk which, but i know for sure its from the early sixties. and just for the fact its been in an attic for 30 years, you should probably take it in to a professional just to get everything checked out anyway.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I would take it to a pro to have a look at it and set it up for you so its like new again
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
I would take it to a pro to have a look at it and set it up for you so its like new again

+1

but make sure that its someone good
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by DSchmitty

You're obviously just judging it because current MMs are $400. Something from the 1960s will be a lot higher quality than current ones. I swear everyone on here is biased beyond help.

Anyways, it sounds like a truss rod or action problem. I recommend taking it to the most experienced and well known luthier around, even if they're expensive.