so people, i got a question.
I just started a band about a yr ago and were lookin to be playin sum shows soon. but i RLY need a new amplifier. a nice versatile loud one. the reason i say versatile is becuz i play everything from metal to the cleanest stuff ever, and everything in between.
I need a halfstack or sumthing in this price range~
$500 - 700
MAYBE a little more...what's the best i could get?
i was told the mg100hdfx from marshall would be excellent...but not only do i hear alot of mixed reviews about it but i hear there's better out there for my price range. plz help. thx.
The MG sucks. There is better. Why a half stack and not a combo?
Give us an example of bands for the heavier stuff, metal etc.
Would you buy used? What major city do you live near?
a 50 watt tube combo would serve you well - you dont have to have a half stack to gig. Are you by any guitar shops? If so, go down and start getting a feel for different models and see what hits the tone you are looking for. If you need nice cleans, to metal then you will most certainly want tube, SS will not give you nice cleans

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
randall rg50tc a lot of people recommend, b-52 AT112, if ur lucky, u can find a used 5150 combo for pretty cheap
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
the 5150 combo doesnt have very good cleans though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
well it doesnt hav to be a stack. just as long as its loud enough to be heard over the drummer haha. who hits damn hard. i would probably buy it if it were used, depends. and i live in the chicago area.
for the heavier stuff, stuff from like, post-hardcore bands or pantera to killswitch engage. and stuff.
Quote by gregs1020
The MG sucks. There is better. Why a half stack and not a combo?
Give us an example of bands for the heavier stuff, metal etc.
Would you buy used? What major city do you live near?

heh, I heard a youtube demo of the MG, and it sounded pretty good to me, and you can find used ones for 200$, seems like they're worth it.

but i did hear from some people that they have lots of feed back at high volumes?
How bout them Bears?
Take a look at this...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/831653917.html Laney pro tube $175 Don't ask me why, they guys an idiot selling it for that.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msg/834144892.html All tube Carvin head, with eq... $350 Need a 2x12 cab, but that's easy to find.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/832069519.html Traynor YCV80. Great cleans, can be pushed to metal or add a stompbox of your own... $350.

All would work for you. I have not played the laney, but pro tube laney's get good reviews. They are all great prices for great gear.

Edit: That ultra posted up there is badass too. The MG series blows dick, period, play one at a non bedroom volume level, you'll want a barf bag.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by Tyler Durden
a 50 watt tube combo would serve you well - you dont have to have a half stack to gig. Are you by any guitar shops? If so, go down and start getting a feel for different models and see what hits the tone you are looking for. If you need nice cleans, to metal then you will most certainly want tube, SS will not give you nice cleans

Ever heard of a jazz chorus?

If flexibility is important then Line 6 Flextone might be good for you, I'm not sure if it's in your range new, but used shouldn't be a problem. Put it on your list of things to try.

A traynor ycv50 blue could work. It may not be heavy enough for you though, even with an OD pedal so I'd definitely try it first.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Swap-Meet
heh, I heard a youtube demo of the MG, and it sounded pretty good to me

:\\fail.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Flextone does any sound...but if ur playing shows ur probably gonna want to mic it since it is solid state and tends to sound brittle when loud. The traynor ycv50 blue is very good but as mentioned above you will need a pedal to get metal. I'd also like to recommend the B-52 At-112 and the bugera 333xl, although I haven't tried these amps, I've heard lots of good things about them and they've been recommended to me.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by Swap-Meet
sorry, I forgot...I'm not allowed to have an opinion

feel free to have an opinion, but make sure it's based on personal experience. Otherwise, it's hearsay.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
feel free to have an opinion, but make sure it's based on personal experience. Otherwise, it's hearsay.

I said I heard the demo, and I liked it, and it's definitely not as bad as people say, for 500$, i'd say it's not worth it but if you can find it used for 200$ (like I have) it seems like a pretty good deal
alright thx ALOT for all the replies people. :]
i'm thinkin i RLY like this traynor amp and im probably gonna get it with my next check or so, but plz feel free to continue to suggest :]
Quote by Swap-Meet
I said I heard the demo, and I liked it, and it's definitely not as bad as people say, for 500$, i'd say it's not worth it but if you can find it used for 200$ (like I have) it seems like a pretty good deal

It's every bit as bad as people say. There are tons of tricks to make it sound better in a demo. I've heard it sound amazing in youtube videos. Then, I sat down and played it. Sound vomit is the best way to describe it.

TS: Traynor's a pretty good choice, but make certain that it can cover every range of metal you'd like it to.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Swap-Meet

Youtube's compression is noturious for making bad amp sound good and vice versa
Yea, im pretty sure i've got the pedals to kick it up to how i'd like the traynor to be. So that said. Is it a good choice? should i go through with it? haha.
Go try it yes. The one in crown point will have all the clean headroom you need unless you're gigging Soldier Field this fall. I have played the same model a month ago. I wouldn't go recommending a road trip if I didn't think the amp was worth it. ($3.90 a gallon) I live in Chicago as well and know where crown point is. Bring your guitar, pedals, reliable cables and try the thing out. (Hijack some neighbor's Honda Civic - just kidding) He has had it for sale for some time so he will likely come down a bit further, but it's worth checking out.

The last Mesa F-50 I saw was $750, that was about 4 months ago, that would work too. But a YCV80 for $300-350? Worth checking out.

Edit: If YOU don't like the tone, don't buy it. No harm it that, tone is subjective. Worth checking out at that price IMO, good luck.

Edit 2: I can't believe I said "worth checking out" 4 times in my post, now I'm up to 5. Sorry for the delay effect in the post.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 9, 2008,
thx a bunch dude. and awesome....but
he told me he just sold it -.-
ugh...damn...shoulda found out earlier haha.
I have played both the MG and the Flextone. I rented a MG at our rehearsal room and started to think it had a nice sound (had not been playing for 15 years), went to the store to buy one and walked past a Flextone. I asked if I could try it and after a few minutes I (and the Flextone) was sold. It rocks if you want to and has nice clean stuff too.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/836517193.html Holy shlT! OK, I own this same amp, you should try it. Does both loud and quiet, 20 watts (all tube) of either great cleans or great br00tlZ. He's asking $450 but should take $400.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/836450579.html That VC5212 is a very good amp, $350 - but would need help (stomper) for the brootlz. Maybe not tho, it's opinion/tone preference.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/835503752.html Delta Blues 115, this guys nuts, $450, should be $375. But with the right stompbox it'd be great.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/834678900.html ProSonic Fender. Preceded the SuperSonic, some say this is better - more gain than previous fenders, supposed to get brootal on it's own. Wants to trade but may take cash.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/835675276.html Ampeg J20, $500. Great amp - push it to metal with help again tho.

The Hughes & Kettner should sell for $350-$400 based on my buying one for $360, but would need to be mic'd for clean headroom at higher volumes. The H&K and Prosonic won't need help, the others will to get metal out of them. Sorry the Traynor is gone. It's a matter of taste with these amps so always try it out before buying!
Quote by Swap-Meet
heh, I heard a youtube demo of the MG, and it sounded pretty good to me, and you can find used ones for 200$, seems like they're worth it.

but i did hear from some people that they have lots of feed back at high volumes?

Feedback at high volumes is an issue with just about any amp, really. the problem with the MG is that when you turn it up loud it takes an already naff, tinny tone (bland cleans and shrill, thin weedy sounding overdrive with no articulation whatsoever), makes it sound even more like a tincan, and farts it out of a very low quality speaker which you can hear vibrating, even at "practice with a band" sort of volume. Turn it up even louder, up to gigging volumes, and you'll also get nasty transistor clipping.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp