I apologize profusely if this thread exists already. I searched and didn't find it.

Basically I'm looking for a guitar, and I'm open to buying used. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with electrics. Assuming I know what model I want based on style, budget, etc., how do I know if this guitar is in good shape, and worth buying? It seems like we'd have a How-To thread for buying a used electric around here!

I'd love to hear suggestions on what to look for, what to avoid, etc. etc.

Any one?

-J
Last edited by Nims at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
well...
what is your budget
what types of music do you play

I appreciate the response, but I think my question was unclear. I'm not looking for suggestions on what guitar to get.

Let's say I know exactly what guitar I want. I get to the store, and they have 10 of that exact model, and 3 more used!

How do you inspect a guitar? How do you decide if the used are worth buying? What trade-offs are you willing to make for cost savings?

-J
Quote by Nims
How do you inspect a guitar? How do you decide if the used are worth buying?

Play it, and decide if it sucks.
Quote by Nims
What trade-offs are you willing to make for cost savings?

I don't know. You're the one buying it. Depends on the buyer.

There's no way to tell someone how to do this. The shit you look out for is exactly the same shit you look for on a new guitar - damage, poor construction, etc.
Quote by Flying Couch
Play it, and decide if it sucks.

I don't know. You're the one buying it. Depends on the buyer.

There's no way to tell someone how to do this. The shit you look out for is exactly the same shit you look for on a new guitar - damage, poor construction, etc.

I'm sorry, but for someone with a big bold "buy used gear" in their sig... that is a dissapointing post.

If you're going to post, why not make it worthwhile, or not post at all? Not everyone is already intimately familiar with the things you might inspect on a guitar. Not everyone has the same idea of what plays "good" or sounds "good". Nothing wrong with offering a little direction for those that may be less knowledgeable than you...

-J
go to store
play the guitar first
look at the guitar
sniff the guitar
bingo, done.

then it's just up to you
Okay, one of us isn't understanding the other.

What's your point, dude? What do you want to be told?
Quote by Nims
Not everyone is already intimately familiar with the things you might inspect on a guitar.

So ask what to inspect. My issue with this is that you've said "used" like you inspect it in a different way than a new one. If you're inexperienced with used crap, that's cool - you just treat it the same way.
Quote by Nim
Not everyone has the same idea of what plays "good" or sounds "good".

I know. Go for what sounds good to you, then. I doubt anyone is here to tell you what you like.
Check where the neck joins to the body, particularly important. Look for cracks or chips etc. Not such a problem if its bolt on. Ask the age, and for a serial number if it has one.
Check for rust on the metal work (bridge etc.)
Then play it, check all the frets are active (but that of course can be adjusted)
Also if its electrics your worried about check the pickup selector switch. Make sure it does its job.
Rock on!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Flying Couch
Okay, one of us isn't understanding the other.

What's your point, dude? What do you want to be told?

So ask what to inspect. My issue with this is that you've said "used" like you inspect it in a different way than a new one. If you're inexperienced with used crap, that's cool - you just treat it the same way.

I know. Go for what sounds good to you, then. I doubt anyone is here to tell you what you like.

Ok, so ignore the word used in my post. How do you inspect a guitar?
Quote by Nims
Ok, so ignore the word used in my post. How do you inspect a guitar?

:\

Pick it up. Look it over, and ask yourself these questions: Is it falling apart? Are all (or enough to satisfy you) joints, finishes, electronics and hardwares intact? Is the neck warped at all? Is it rusty? How does it play? Play it plugged in, to assure it works and to check it's tone.

This is how you look over any gear.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 9, 2008,