So i've been playing guitar for a little over 5 months now, and I think i'm advancing pretty well. But I noticed I pick mainly from my fingers, like I only move my wrist to reach certain strings, but I do not move my wrist hardly at all when i'm just picking (as in single strings, if its two or more strings at once I normally move my wrist)

so should I work on picking with my wrist, or keep at it with just moving my fingers?
Well, if you want precise and quick picking, then keep doin wat you're doin. But if you aim toward strummin a lot, move from the elbow. But wat you're doin sounds fine to me.
I had the same problem when I first started playing, but the best way to pick is from the wrist, not the fingers. I'd recommend changing your technique asap, once you're doing it correctly you'll be able to progress to a much higher level much faster. As far as the elbow goes, when you're picking you don't want your elbow to move hardly at all, this is an issue most people have when they're playing, and it really hinders them. You want your elbow to stationary, moving only slightly when switching strings. And finally, for strumming you want to use your wrist and your elbow, but don't just realy on your elbow to do it, be sure to sue your wrist too :P.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Last edited by GNRrocka at Sep 9, 2008,
How would one pick without moving their wrist? I thought picking using your wrist was the most natural thing you could ever do...
YEAH
i'd say, practice both, i find it more accurate in some situations to hold a pick with tips of my thumb and index, and picking mostly from the fingers, but then for something like cowboys from hell riff, i hold the pick between thumb and side of my index, angled at the strings, and pick only from my wrist... experiment and find what's comfortable for you... while picking mostly from fingers is very comfortable sometimes, there are some things you just can't play properly that way...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
There's nothing wrong with playing from your fingers, people have achieved amazing things with it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mcsxpVI3EZM

In theory the picking motion should come mainly from the wrist but if you can do what you want picking from your fingers than by all means go ahead.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What do you see in that video that makes you think he's picking by actually moving his fingers?
He's using standard picking technique: maybe you don't see the wrist move that much, but the basic motion is still there.

The best description I ever read was that you're using the same muscles you would for turning a doorknob. The wrist rotates in a very slight circular motion: very subtle sometimes (for faster single note picking), more pronounced at others (for strumming chords). Part of the forearm does too.

The fingers OTOH stay relatively still. Thumb and index finger gripping the pick loosely but firmly, the remaining fingers relaxed and just going along for the ride.
Quote by guitarviz
What do you see in that video that makes you think he's picking by actually moving his fingers?
He's using standard picking technique: maybe you don't see the wrist move that much, but the basic motion is still there.

i think it's pretty obvious that a big part of his picking comes from moving the thumb and and index...
Quote by guitarviz

When he's really going for it in terms of speed on extended runs 90% of his picking motion is from his fingers; yes he uses the wrist for the slower parts, sweeps and all that kind of stuff but the real shred parts are mostly fingers.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying you're keeping your wrist and/or forearm motionless while moving the pick hand fingers back and forth?

I've been playing a long time (35 yrs). I've never heard of this picking technique. Can you point me to someplace on the web that talks about this so I can get a better idea of what you're talking about?

Don't mean to slag you, just curious.
Quote by guitarviz
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying you're keeping your wrist and/or forearm motionless while moving the pick hand fingers back and forth?

Of course his wrist isn't completely motionless, that's almost impossible to do but the main motion of the pick is generated by the flexing of his thumb and first finger where most people would keep the whole thumb/first finger area completely still and move their wrist/whole hand to pick.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by 666_Belial
i think it's pretty obvious that a big part of his picking comes from moving the thumb and and index...

It's true that the wrist does not move up and down. It remains relatively motionless in that regard. Where it does move is in the rotation, which is probably more difficult to see in a video.

Imagine the wrist as a pencil. You are looking at it from the side. It is not moving up and down. However it is rotating, very slightly (and quickly), back and forth, around its axis. It would be difficult to see this rotation, right? Because you are looking at it from the side, not head-on.
^^just check out what Zaphod_Beeblebr wrote, no use to repeat the same thing too many times... watch the video and concentrate on his thumb and index motion...
Quote by 666_Belial
^^just check out what Zaphod_Beeblebr wrote, no use to repeat the same thing too many times... watch the video and concentrate on his thumb and index motion...

Even if this guitarist is quite exceptional with using this picking method, it's not the preferred technique of most guitarists, and definitely not the most efficient method of picking. But if that's how you want to play guitar then feel free.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
I watched the Video, and it still seems like his movement is coming from the wrist. He just has his wrist planted on the body of the guitar like you are supposed to, and it conceals the movement. That's how everybody does it dude. I wouldn't be surprised if he could do something extremely amazing though, like beat Super Mario Bros. in eight minutes while performing an X-Japan solo.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
i find it easier to play mainly using my wrists
however i often move my fingers themselves to skip strings and pick with my wrist
Isn't it kinda hard to do it with the wrists when you're anchoring? I anchor with my pinky and i guess i use the fingers.
Not so much, people were just getting held up on the fact that the Japanese fellow couldn't hold the pick with any other appendage than his opposable thumb and his index finger. So therefore he must be using those to pick if he is holding the pick with his fingers. . . . Cfrank, it's kind of like you just place your side of your palm on the bridge, after you do that, you just kinda twitch your thumb and index finger to meet the needs of speed. No big deal, it comes with time.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris