Page 1 of 2
does anyone know anyone who plays them, or endorses them...

derek malakan from SOAD plays (used to at least) a marshall Mode Four stack

for the most part MESA's could be considered SS as the rectifiers are all transistors creating the distortion...

let me hear your responses...artists and the amp they use...(ss of course)
Greg Ginn, Darrell Abbott
Last edited by smb at Sep 9, 2008,
that metal dude... uhh... EDIT: dimebag
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by sweet_inc

for the most part MESA's could be considered SS as the rectifiers are all transistors creating the distortion...

SS rectifiers aren't transistors, they're diodes, and the rectifier doesn't create distortion. The rectifier isn't part of the signal path so it's generally not considered in calling an amp solid state or tube. Granted though it will affect tone.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Sep 9, 2008,
James Malone from Arsis plays Randall amps... Though I'm not sure if they're entirely SS...
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Chuck schuldiner.
And my friend told me Wayne static uses MG halfstacks. No effects for distortion, all amp.
EDIT
A lot of tube amps have an SS rectifier
DoubelEDIT
Randall RG100s are SS.
Last edited by cfhwarhead at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by smb
Greg Ginn, Darrell Abbott

really? i thought dime used a modded Randall RG100.

you learn something new everyday i guess.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
really? i thought dime used a modded Randall RG100.

you learn something new everyday i guess.

He did. I think the point was Dimebag used a SS amp, which a Randall would be.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dimebag, Static X, Death, Meshuggah , Cannibal corpse, Santana, Metallica and numerous other bands have used them.

Hardly. I'm pretty sure Mesa Mark I,Mark II's and Dumbles are tube amps.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Hardly. I'm pretty sure Mesa Mark I,Mark II's and Dumbles are tube amps.

I take it you have never heard of a Roland Jazz Chorus?
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I take it you have never heard of a Roland Jazz Chorus?

I used to own one, so yeah, I know quite a bit about that amp.
What I didn't know, is that he used them.

I consider myself defeated.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
I used to own one, so yeah, I know quite a bit about that amp.
What I didn't know, is that he used them.

I consider myself defeated.

Yup they have used a Roland Jazz Chorus for there clean tone since the dawn of time...

When I realized you were talking about Santana I had already posted..... lol

But back to Santana he also used one as well a Cyber-Twin Amp, somebody just posted a video of it not to long ago.. Alot of artists use different amps from time to time some of them being SS amps in different songs its not that unusal.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by sweet_inc

Actually, Mesa/Boogie uses tubes as rectifiers in their models that have them. Rectifiers also don't create distortion.

Also, B. B. King uses some sort of solid state amp nowadays. I hate his tone nowadays, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by Raijouta
Actually, Mesa/Boogie uses tubes as rectifiers in their models that have them. Rectifiers also don't create distortion.

Ok, so why have 3 of them in an amp?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not very good when it comes to these sort of things
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Ok, so why have 3 of them in an amp?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not very good when it comes to these sort of things

It's the response. Tube rectifiers can create a saggy/spongy response, a lot of people like to say the notes bloom. SS rectifiers have a more immediate tighter feel.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
It's the response. Tube rectifiers can create a saggy/spongy response, a lot of people like to say the notes bloom. SS rectifiers have a more immediate tighter feel.

Sounds great, thanks for the help. I'll have to look into those
aside from everyone mentioned, the guy from Soilent Green uses and Ampeg SS140 and it sounds AMAZING. Seriously, it's one of the few really really good SS amps I've heard.
Dying Fetus uses Ampeg VH-140c's I believe.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Dying fetus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJxCLcU6Wc
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dimebag, Static X, Death, Meshuggah , Cannibal corpse, Santana, Metallica and numerous other bands have used them.

when has santana used a solid state amp?
he has plenty of dumbles, no one would unplug a dumble long enough to even look at another amp.

and bb king
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
he has plenty of dumbles, no one would unplug a dumble long enough to even look at another amp.

and bb king

Pretty much...
Quote by chea_man

and bb king

He uses a Fender Cyber-Twin Amp.... Sure its not the benchmark of his tone but he does unplug that dumble long enough to play it so it does deserve some credit right

http://www.santana.com/musicianscorner/amps/index.html
if you search im sure you could find another thread much like this with a fair amount of answers to this question cause i remember posting in it awhile ago :-P
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
if you search im sure you could find another thread much like this with a fair amount of answers to this question cause i remember posting in it awhile ago :-P

true...but you're too late.

remember the guy that swore that Clapton and ZZTop played SS...it was back when we were doing this ss vs tube vs modeller thing.

*oh wait, i contributed to that mess*

Edit: I didn't realize ppl got banned
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2008,
^ Oh, god. Yeah, I remember that. My one friend even had the demotivational picture that came out of it as his profile picture on myspace for awhile.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by chea_man

and bb king

Santana used a G+K at Woodstock '69. It was a solid state amp and sounds amazing. Santana's Woodstock tone is one of the highly coveted sounds in classic rock (amongst others, Clapton's "Beano" tone, Page's TSRTS tone, Van Halen's VH1 tone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Quote by sweet_inc

The rectifier is not even in the signal path of the amplifier, its part of the power supply and converts the AC from your wall to DC. Whether its tube or solid state has nothing to do with whether an amp is all tube or not.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 9, 2008,
I got banned in that stupid mess, what a jip.

I've heard Alex Lifeson has used SS amps. BB king use a lab systems right?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by SSL27
^ Oh, god. Yeah, I remember that. My one friend even had the demotivational picture that came out of it as his profile picture on myspace for awhile.

"dont gig with tube amps"

that was the name of it, i think i just found it. ROFL.

epic epic fail...it got closed too

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914643&highlight=ZZTop+solid+state

*adds to favorites*
Quote by Raijouta

Also, B. B. King uses some sort of solid state amp nowadays. I hate his tone nowadays, too.

I know.

It's so shit compared to the Live At The Regal and other earlier things
Quote by al112987
Santana used a G+K at Woodstock '69. It was a solid state amp and sounds amazing. Santana's Woodstock tone is one of the highly coveted sounds in classic rock (amongst others, Clapton's "Beano" tone, Page's TSRTS tone, Van Halen's VH1 tone)

damn, i wanted to post this but you beat me to it... nice tone there...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by al112987

The rectifier is not even in the signal path of the amplifier, its part of the power supply and converts the AC from your wall to DC. Whether its tube or solid state has nothing to do with whether an amp is all tube or not.

Am I the only one who really doesn't like Santanas tone at all?
Page 1 of 2