Ok so if a guitar has a lacquer or polyurthane top layer,
how far are you supposed to sand before laying primer...
to the wood grain or before?
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
also which is better oil based or latex based primer and paint
PLEASE HELP!!!
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
you can sand all the way to the wood, but you dont have to. u at least have to scuff up the current finish with rough sandpaper......
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
If you sand to the bare wood, you will need grain filler to stop the primer sinking into the grain. Then a coat of sealer or primer, then the colour coat, then a clear coat. You dont say what type of finish you have. If its a nitrocellulose lacquer then it is relativly easy to sand down. If you have a poly finish it is very hard to sand down, as it is so hard, and it is usually very thick.

I have used a vibrating sander in the past with 60 grit paper to get most of it off, then switched to 80 grit to take the rest off, then progressed through the grades until I get to 240. All this took around 4-5 hours. Obviously there was some hand sanding in the horn areas.

If you think the original finish isnt too thick, then you could do as AngusJimiKeith says and scuff it up. I would use 400-600 wet and dry, anything finer and there wont be enough of a key, and anything coarser you will get lots of scratches in the final finish. Then just spray primer, colour and then clear coats.

If you dont mind there being a very thick finish (which some say affects tone) on your guitar then this is the easier option.
Yup, I would just sand with 400 grit on a block til all the shine gone and pay the primer on. It's important to keep it flat, thats why you use a block.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music