I was looking to invest into a new bass head. (currently using a Behringer)

Help me pick one of these out, I want a low priced head (between ($300 and $600) that can pump out at LEAST 300 watts at 4 ohms. Anyway...

Ashdown MAG 300H

I've heard many, MANY good things about Ashdown, I've never played one...great price.

Markbass Little Mark II

I've played this one, and liked how loud it was, and how nice it sounded. However, I don't know if I want to save up that much money, seeing as I don't have a job.

Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV

I've always loved the punchy sounds of GKs. This head isn't too badly priced, either.

Fender Bassman 250 HD

Last but not least, the Fender. I absolutely LOVE the tone that Fender amps give off. It's absolutely delicious. I don't know if this will be loud enough for me however...

Please help me out guys. Thanks.
get the Markbass.

i have an Ampeg SVT-450, which was the first head i ever bought, and now that i look back, i didnt do enough research, wasted $150 because the SVT450 is the B2RE in an SVT shell, and wish i had gotten the markbass which has 50W more power, and is also $150 less.

Me=Phail.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
get the Markbass.

i have an Ampeg SVT-450, which was the first head i ever bought, and now that i look back, i didnt do enough research, wasted $150 because the SVT450 is the B2RE in an SVT shell, and wish i had gotten the markbass which has 50W more power, and is also $150 less.

Me=Phail.

I liked the Markbass. It costs quite a bit for someone in high school who doesn't get an allowance, doesn't have a job, and doesn't have a birthday coming up...

I'll take it into consideration still.

By the way, I'm playing through an Ampeg 1x15 Cab.
Last edited by DonWeaso at Sep 9, 2008,
I'm partial to the GK. My buddy has this model and it sounds great and has a lot of flexibility.
i saw that.

it made me smile.
im wishing i had 2 SVT15E's actually, and then i would be set. 810 and 215E's and get them working together

=

sex.

but, instead of getting more bass crap this year, im getting an Alesis Micron and a TalkBox for my B-day/Xmas.

and img etting it early next month instead of waiting till december.

yaY!!!!
the mark is great but if you want something cheaper i'd go with the GK 400. i have the 700RB-II model and i love it. it has some of the nicest tones i've ever heard.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Yeah, I need watts...so the Markbass is starting to sound like a good choice.
Looks like you should maybe take a look at a Carvin head. I can't give you a personal testimonial as mine hasn't come in yet, from reviews the BX heads are good stuff, and the price doesn't hurt as much as some other stuff.
I'd get a cheap knock off of my head its rather brilliant IMO

Try some SWR's as well they're fantastic, very versatile, and can even get good wattage from their combos

first part is fail I know
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
The markbass is the clear winner. I mean, Usain Bolt style. The MAG shouldn't really even be on that list, it doesn't hold anything to the other amps. Other than that, GKs just don't sit with me, they're okay, but not great. Fenders would be the other one I would be considering if this was my list. It's the only one that actually has decent ability, it's not the same as the MarkBass, but at least is comparable.

I agree with IRS on the Carvin front though. It's a lot of wattage and high quality all american-made ampage, on a budget. The heads also seem to fit in nicely with your price range.
i have the fender, its awesome but the markbass is nice too, all abot personal preference, personally i find the fender warmer
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Ashdown - Price winner...the model you are looking into is GREAT by all means but wont be enough power in the long run...

MarkBass - Def THE WINNER most versitle plenty power lightweight you can rack it if you call MarkBass they will send you the ears (if Guitar Center doesnt have them on hand for ya) Honestly im getting one ASAP to replace my Ampeg B2-RE / 410-HLF setup....

Gallien Krugar - eh... PUNCHY FOR SURE no power NO RUMBLY low end....

Fender 2nd PLACE for sure so warm its cool low Freqs no prob here and the price/power is good believe it or not that 250w will power a full range setup....seen it done and it sounds good even with a drummer and full stack guitarist....
...also, you could consider the MAG 600H - twice as many watts, but the same price.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Quote by DJbonedog
...also, you could consider the MAG 600H - twice as many watts, but the same price.

FYI Musician's Friend recently raised the price of the MAG 600H and other stores may have done the same. However it might be the new model with the compressor.
Quote by margeramann
FYI Musician's Friend recently raised the price of the MAG 600H and other stores may have done the same. However it might be the new model with the compressor.

Hm, I just looked into the 600H.

How does it sound? It's at a good price.