Alright guys, i need some help in my upcoming guitar purchase decision.......i am torn between the new iceman and the hellraiser....i love the emg pickups but the iceman just looks so badass..i haven't been able to try out the iceman so i am unsure how the dimarzios auctually sound compared to the 81 89 setup...the only thing i know is that the iceman is really heavy....i will be playing through a line 6 spider III amp if that makes any difference....

i play alot of KSE and BFMV and a bunch of other stuff....let me know what yall think on the two

p.s. the guitar has to be able to squeal its ass off and i know that the emgs can do it but what of the dimarzio d activators....

forgive me im kind of a noob also so you have been warned but help is appreciated
What guitar do you have at the moment?
Out of those I'd personally go for the Hellraiser, but I'd seriously upgrade that amp first
ohai little sig.
i currently have a 89 MIJ Fender Stratocaster...but i can't get the meaty tone i want out of that.....

that brings up a good point..everyone is saying that spider III amps blow but i haven't had any problems with them IMO but what would a good practice (15-30 Watt) amp be...the built in settings aren't necessary because i will be getting a digitech rp250 effects pedal.....

Any good practice amp suggestions will help too
For those music styles a Roland Cube would be the best bet until you are willing to get a tube amp (in which case I'd recommend a Randall RG50TC)
ohai little sig.
i can understand people's interest in the stock pickups on a guitar, because hey, sometimes theyre actually decent. but i wouldnt put so much weight on what comes with the guitar. you can always swap out the pickups and its relatively easy to do.

take scale, physical weight, types of wood, hardware (floyd rose, locking tuners, string thru...) more into consideration then the stuff you can swap.

personally i'd go with the hellraiser. i'm not too familiar with the iceman but i am familiar with heavy guitars and if you ever plan on playing gigs or even just playing standing for awhile, you'll grow to hate it. i've played the hellraiser am now saving to buy the 7 string Jeff Loomis signiture that its based off. Schecter always makes great guitars and one thing to consider with guitars with odd shapes, buying essentials like a case can become difficult because of the shape and you could be looking at a much more expensive and larger case. *damn you jackson rhoads V*
I'd personally go for the ICT700.

but I like thin Ibanez necks. don't worry about how heavy it is, most basses are heavier than guitars and they manage just fine. just get a decent strap and you'll be fine. I'm a small guy but after playing bass for a while on stage I wasn't bothered when I played my mates les paul. I think it just akes getting used to.

Dimarzios will do squeels just fine. I'd prefer them over the EMGs for their clarity but that's a personal thing.

And for practice the line 6 will do fine for home practice. they sound decent at low volume. mid to high volume is where they tend to be weak so they aren't really good gig/band practice amps.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
well usually i dont but they are almost the same price......and im not really a guitar tech so if i wanted to get some new pups i'd have to get them professionally installed which would add on to the price....that was my concern and since i cant really play em i am unsure of the tone they put out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho&feature=related

that link is a decent comparison of emg 81-85 vs seymour duncan passives and thats what im basing the dimarzios tone off of since i can't try it
Your guitar (the MIJ Strat) is a collector's item. I wouldn't recommend it, but sell it if you want to. You'll get tons of cash.

I say whichever is more comfortable to you. But an amp upgrade is a must.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'd personally go for the ICT700.

but I like thin Ibanez necks. don't worry about how heavy it is, most basses are heavier than guitars and they manage just fine. just get a decent strap and you'll be fine. I'm a small guy but after playing bass for a while on stage I wasn't bothered when I played my mates les paul. I think it just akes getting used to.

Dimarzios will do squeels just fine. I'd prefer them over the EMGs for their clarity but that's a personal thing.

And for practice the line 6 will do fine for home practice. they sound decent at low volume. mid to high volume is where they tend to be weak so they aren't really good gig/band practice amps.

that was the thing i like about ibanez they have excellent necks....they suit my small hands extremely well....but the icemans neck is painted and has a finish so i dont think it will feel the same.....schecter necks run a bit thicker but that may just take getting used to since i've been using a strat
Quote by Lilsnoopy101
that was the thing i like about ibanez they have excellent necks....they suit my small hands extremely well....but the icemans neck is painted and has a finish so i dont think it will feel the same.....schecter necks run a bit thicker but that may just take getting used to since i've been using a strat

you could say the same for the painted neck.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
what do you guys think about the roland cube 20x........i wanna get the digitech rp250 with it but i've seen on some posts that you cant use the pedal with this amp..is that bs?
I say get a tube amp. You can get a cheaper Peavey Valveking.

And as for the guitar. You absolutely can't go wrong with the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. The neck is very comfortable, regardless of what people say about it. I have smaller hands and it fits me perfectly. The EMG's in it are perfect for metal. If you want them to open up a bit too, install a 18v mod on it.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by PlagueX1
I say get a tube amp. You can get a cheaper Peavey Valveking.

And as for the guitar. You absolutely can't go wrong with the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. The neck is very comfortable, regardless of what people say about it. I have smaller hands and it fits me perfectly. The EMG's in it are perfect for metal. If you want them to open up a bit too, install a 18v mod on it.

i would love to get a tube amp but they are so damn expensive....and i have only been playing for about two years and i dont think i am good enough to justify spending so much on an amp a can't the best out of cause my skills aren't pro.....plus the maintainence..

what would you compare a schecters neck profile to?
I have a schecter C-1 plus and the neck is thin and comfortable in my opinion
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
I actually have a Hellraiser, and I have to say, I don't like the emgs very much. Dimarzio D-Activators are designed to be BETTER than active pickups, because they incorporate all the things people like about actives, but they don't use a battery and can actually be played clean. I'm probably gonna sell my Hellraiser though, so if you're set on getting one, I can give you a good price for it. PM me if you're interested.
I am gonna say iceman without a doubt. Ibanez neckthroughs are the most comfortable necks in the market. In my sig you can see I own an ibanez neckthrough, and I have other more expensive guitars, yet the ibanez neckthrough is by far the better one for me. And The D-activators are way better than the EMG pickups, especially the D-activator X pups.
If you like the looks of the Iceman better, just buy it. The EMG 81/89 setup is probably the cheapest pair of pups out there, and it's an easy mod. But if you really want active pickups, I would recommend Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They are so much better than the EMG 81 & 89.

P.S. The Iceman isn't that heavy, and please do consider buying a different amp. ;-)
Guitars:
Ibanez IC400BK
Ibanez RG550BK

Amplifiers:
ENGL Screamer 50 Combo
Quote by Ox Iceman
If you like the looks of the Iceman better, just buy it. The EMG 81/89 setup is probably the cheapest pair of pups out there, and it's an easy mod. But if you really want active pickups, I would recommend Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They are so much better than the EMG 81 & 89.

P.S. The Iceman isn't that heavy, and please do consider buying a different amp. ;-)

i was considering getting the roland cube 20x
Quote by Ox Iceman
The EMG 81/89 setup is probably the cheapest pair of pups out there

The emg 81tw/89 pickups isnt very cheap.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500