Ive had an interest in writing (poetry, songs etc) but not really sure how to start. I'm going through kind of hard time in my life, i've been taking anti depressants for a little bit and things are starting to go a bit better and i want to write about it but don't know really know how. give me some advice or what you did the first time you wrote.
Maybe if you just wrote down little fragments every now and again, and then try and arrange them into songs? Maybe carry around a little notebook and write down your thoughts and feelings over the day, and try and work out some lyrics from that...

Hope this helps
Just find a quiet place, somewhere where you won't be disturbed. Then just start writing whatever it is you are thinking at that exact moment everything no matter what it is. Then later on like Lethal.7 said you can read it and piece it together.
H e l l o .
Whenever I get a thought about something cool that I would like to put down as lyrics or poetry - maybe a little phrase or just a general notion, I keep reiterating it in my mind and when I have access to a pen and paper, I will write it down. Once you have something down, just an idea or a phrase, you can build so much from it.

I won't even consider writing something down unless if I felt strongly about it in the first place. 95%+ of my ideas don't get put down on paper.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
No one has mentioed it yet, but UG does have a song writing forum, and there is some pretty talented people over there. Try asking for some help there. Good luck!

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
i just find a subject i'd like to write about, and then i just write.
after i finish writing the lyrics, i go do something else, like go for a drive to get the writing process outta my head, then afterwards, i go back and re-read it, and think if its plausible or not, and then from there, i send it off to my lead guitarist, and several other bands i know to see who wants the lyrics.
hope it helped
I always think of a little phrase and try to remember it. If, a few hours later, it's still with me, I figure it's good enough to remember so I'll work with that.
Every post here helped. Thank you guys so much.

Quote by kitty_teh_fish
Then just start writing whatever it is you are thinking at that exact moment everything no matter what it is.

I have trouble wording whats going on in my mind though.
There is no rule as to how long a poem or a song has to be.
There is no right or wrong
There is just you and the way you feel
try your best to put it on paper and you will only get better with time.
Quote by -O_O-

It'll probably take a whole load of practise. Just be patient and hang in there
Reading a lot of literature, newspapers, and and written media in general will help you builder a stronger vocabulary and a stronger sense of prose.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by -O_O-

It can be difficult at first. If you wanted you could start just by keeping a journal and writing about your day. I hope you start writing soon.
H e l l o .
Quote by kitty_teh_fish
It can be difficult at first. If you wanted you could start just by keeping a journal and writing about your day. I hope you start writing soon.

lol i definitely will. i'm actually in a creative writing class right now. we're currently learning about writing short stories (which i'm not really a fan of). but soon we're gonna do poetry.
Quote by -O_O-
lol i definitely will. i'm actually in a creative writing class right now. we're currently learning about writing short stories (which i'm not really a fan of). but soon we're gonna do poetry.

Take some time off and read this one (my favorite short story of all) and you might change your mind:

http://www.jacklondons.net/buildafire.html
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie