Hey UG,
Our band has played 2 shows with a company called 'Supernova' and we're not really liking it. You have to sell 'x' ammount of tickets to play for 'x' ammount of minutes, your givin no place to store your gear, your setup time is included in the ammount of time you earn, etc. Here is the examples
10 tickets = 15 mins
20 tickets - 25 mins
30 tickets - 30 mins
+50 tickets - 35 mins

Well its all great and dandy but the same people wont keep buying tickets, so we will get less and less time. Also, this is the only place we can play, as we are all 15/16 and the music scene around here is almost all metal/hardcore and we're a rock band.
Does anyone have any ideas for where we could play?
We can't really organize our own shows as we do not have a big enough fan base.
Thanks guys ,
PS. SlackerBabbath, I'd really like your oppinion
DUDE
Word of advice. Never do a supernova show. We've played around two, and no one is gonna pay 10$ to watch shitty bands play, and unless you have loads of friends with lots of money, you're always gonna play first and only your friends will watch. The only upside of a supernova show is that it's experience. My best bet is to buddy up with a local show production company, and get on their shows. You'll get to play bigger shows, with more people. Seeing that you're probably from Canada, tell me what city you're out of and I could probably give you a few names.
Quote by Slash·Slash

Well its all great and dandy but the same people wont keep buying tickets

Then that's a problem you might wanna focus on, dude. You don't want to be driving people away. Get an awesome, tight sound going and you could build up a fan base, sell more tickets and get more time, ya dig?
Go on myspace and find where local bands in your style are playing.
What about possiblity playing at school functions? Like Fundraisers and BOTB's? Or playing parties? Because you said you between the ages of 15 and 16.
Sorry for not giving more details guys, we're from London, Ontario, so stuff in St Thomas, etc. would work. If there are some better production companies around here it'd be awesome! I looked but I can't find any
Quote by Slash·Slash
Sorry for not giving more details guys, we're from London, Ontario, so stuff in St Thomas, etc. would work. If there are some better production companies around here it'd be awesome! I looked but I can't find any

As I said, use myspace to find out where other bands are playing. Myspace is your best friend as a band starting out.

Anyways, you really shouldn't have too hard of a time finding shows. London is pretty big. Even if you can't find any shows in London you're right by Detroit, Buffalo, and Toronto.
I'm looking forward to SlackerBabbath coming in this thread and RIPPING APART pay to play shows. Seriously though, if you don't feel like those shows are good for you, don't do them. If you want experience, then you could play in someones backyard or at a barbeque.
Try to rent out a locaton (meat warehouse or cellar or some building thats not always being used and offer a deal with the owner. Put up flyers around town, throw a party there and just jam out, get like 2-3 other local bands to pitch in and have everyone buy drinks with keg money and proit weee.
Quote by dst127
I'm looking forward to SlackerBabbath coming in this thread and RIPPING APART pay to play shows.

Heh heh, I've already vented my spleen on that subject quite a number of times, so let's just say pay to play is bad, mmkay?

Slash·Slash, it's nice to know you value my opinion so much, but most of it's already been said really. You can hire function rooms and put on your own gigs, or you can play in youth clubs or at school or at parties or even low down on the bill at festivals. (many festival organisers put younger bands on in the afternoon)
You can also consider doing 'online' gigs, where you set up in someone's basement or something and have a few digital cameras trained on you sending a live feed to the internet. Given the right promotion, this can actualy work quite well and create interest in any online recordings you might have.

I'm not really familiar with your local situation, but basicaly it's gonna be hard work getting gigs until you're old enough to enter a bar, but if you practice as much as possible, play as many gigs, no matter where they are, as you possibly can, (Obviously apart from the pay to play 'Supernova' gigs, the promoters of which should be dug out of the ground, staked, hung drawn and quartered, cremated, placed in a bottle of acid and flung into the heart of the sun as soon as they raise their ugly parasitic heads above the rocks they crawled out from under.... ahhhhh that feels so much better. ) then by the time you are old enough to play in bars, you'll be so experienced and so good, you'll have very little serious competition, which will allow you to almost literaly explode on the scene and build up a following very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Slacker.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 11, 2008,
Thanks guys, and thank you Slacker!
So I should basically just try and tag along other bands of my style for now, and maybe try and put on my own show?
Quote by Slash·Slash
Thanks guys, and thank you Slacker!
So I should basically just try and tag along other bands of my style for now, and maybe try and put on my own show?

Sounds like a plan to me.