I've been playing guitar for 2 years and i practice for over 2 hours everyday and still suck i dont get what do u think i should do.

i warm up with hand stretches than i do warm up exercises then whatever i want
to learn i try it slow and later build speed

my legato is bad

trying to play:

hang'em high -van halen

eruption - EVH

what i can play: high voltage - ac/dc

i don't take lessons anymore
Last edited by cgs1994 at Sep 11, 2008,
First, I doubt you suck as much as you think you do. If your not happy with your level of playing, you need to either change your practise or up it.

Give me an idea of your practise routine.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Man , I never warm up, I just go straight to surf trem picking, and it works for me, routines don't really work.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
practice more then that?my first 2 years i practiced alottttttttt.
now that i can play most of what i listen to like metallica and such i play less because i reached a level of playing im ok with.
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
"whatever I want" This makes me think you are not spending enough time on each thing to learn it. If your goal is to be able to sweep then a half hour a week is not enough.

My practise routine is a half hour of the same thing everyday, which is just chromatic in all the possible combinations and angular exercises and such, then a half hour of whatever I'm working on. I spend a half hour a day on this thing until I feel I have learnt it, then I add it to a small time everyday, maybe 5 minutes, where I just review it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by lespaul#1
Man , I never warm up, I just go straight to surf trem picking, and it works for me, routines don't really work.

That is a great way to injure yourself, I didn't rest and stretch enough and I developed carpel tunnel.

Just my two cents.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Stop whining and start doing different things in your routine.

Honestly, the amount of people who bitch and moan about how much they suck on this site is sickening. I had to put in my 2 cents.

You're probably better than you think, you need to find a different approach to practicing though.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Try coming up with new exercises, practice things that are hard for you, when playing through your amp always keep it on clean while practicing, record yourself and then listen to it in a couple months you'll hear improvement for sure. if your hammerons and pulloffs aren't loud enough, practice them unplugged for awhile and you'll get there. Use a metronome!

If you have the ability to play the music you want to, then you don't suck.
some people just get it more quickly
but all the practice will pay off later
dude, ur probably rly good but dont realize it, like srsly, i can play PTH, been playing only a year and no lessons, im pretty sure that u could probably play better then me.....but if not then ur musically challenged
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
try learning theory, and writing melodies, theres more to music than just playing fast. if you understand whats going on youll appreciate it more and youll progress much faster. its all about mindset. if you consider it learning guitar, thats all it will be to you. if you consider it as a way to express yourself and create something beautiful youll feel like youre progressing. it like if you call yourself a guitar player, thats all you ar. but if you call yourself a musician youre something more
Musical skill, like everything else in life, is dependent on how much energy you put in. If you play 8 hours a day but don't actually practise, your not gonna see as impressive results as someone who actually practices an hour a day.

Just learn to efficiently use your energy and you'll be fine.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by CHOCOmoney
try learning theory, and writing melodies, theres more to music than just playing fast. if you understand whats going on youll appreciate it more and youll progress much faster. its all about mindset. if you consider it learning guitar, thats all it will be to you. if you consider it as a way to express yourself and create something beautiful youll feel like youre progressing. it like if you call yourself a guitar player, thats all you ar. but if you call yourself a musician youre something more

+1
Quote by The_Sophist
That is a great way to injure yourself, I didn't rest and stretch enough and I developed carpel tunnel.

Just my two cents.

I'll look that up, thanks. And to TS, you're probably just overeactin. Like an anorexic girl with a cheeseburger.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Well, first you need to define "suck". Turn it into a specific list of things that you are unsatisfied with. Get pretty specific, like "legato is uneven" or "muting is bad when crossing strings". Once you've got the list of things, start working on them. Focus on 1 or 2 things each week or two. Set yourself goals. Not just long term general ones like "be better in a year", but short term ones too that cover 2-4 week periods and focus on a specific part of the sucking.
are you really woodshedding for 2 hours? i doubbt it. and work on basics first and i mean alot. dont even attempt to shred if you cant play rhythm.
Quote by se012101
Well, first you need to define "suck". Turn it into a specific list of things that you are unsatisfied with. Get pretty specific, like "legato is uneven" or "muting is bad when crossing strings". Once you've got the list of things, start working on them. Focus on 1 or 2 things each week or two. Set yourself goals. Not just long term general ones like "be better in a year", but short term ones too that cover 2-4 week periods and focus on a specific part of the sucking.

you win an e-donut for the best answer thus far.

i would also suggest finding a guitarist who is very good and asking for advice on your technique, a lot of people have issues because they have too much tension in their hands. your hands work a very specific way and you need to work with it, not against it. your muscles should never be tight/stiff when playing.
I want a e odntu ti nwo or me mad
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Hmmm.... I've also been playing guitar for 2 years, and I'm now able to cover the entire MoP and play some Dream Theater, uhhm... I think it's because when I was on the chord-difficulty days, I tried to do some four-finger exercises... Well to be honest, I was only playing for less than three hours a day...
Last edited by domenic_665 at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by se012101

I'll second this. Please give us some more specific information or we can't offer specific help.
I think you should listen to more records to find out who you sound like so then you wont think you suck.
Quote by cgs1994
I've been playing guitar for 2 years and i practice for over 2 hours everyday and still suck i dont get what do u think i should do.

what do you practice?

what can you play?

do you take lessons?
shred is gaudy music
tying to play:

hang'em high -van halen

eruption - EVH

Only 2 suggestions. Practice more if you have the time (During the summer I practice around 6-8 hours a DAY) My other one is similar to se012101's suggestion. You need to do specific exercises that work on your strengths. For example around 5 years back I used to be a religious down-stroke player, so every day for a month I would simply do up and down picking in front of a TV. Persistence is the key.
tying to play:

hang'em high -van halen

eruption - EVH

Try to get lessons if you can. Maybe try something a little easier than Eruption. Sure, maybe not the hardest song in the world, but not the easiest.
Call me Batman.
i've only been laying for 2 and 1/2 year, but never found a routine that worked for me, i just stretch my fingers then do some simple songs to warm-up before doing the really fun stuff, I practice giutar and drums 4-8 hours a day, but take quite a few brakes in between.
never overwork yourself, and always stretch your fingers.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by cgs1994

my legato is bad

Read the sticky's in the Advanced Technique Forum.