Page 1 of 2
all this stuff about black holes being made from the CERN proton collider[?] and junk got me thinking

how do you create anti matter?

wikipedia confused me too much. so uh... someone explain it to me in much simpler words?

i figure theres at least one person who knows this on ug
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Step 1) See if it matters.
Step 2) If it doesn't matter, it's antimatter. If it does matter, it's matter.
Step 3) Fin.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
read the book Angels & Demons

i cant really remember it exactly, but the book explained it perfect.

i think anti matter is theoretical. And if those guys do create it, they will be officially dividing by zero
To be honest, wikipedia explains it pretty simply. I don't think I could make it more understandable. It's not an easy task.
Quote by Tedward

i think anti matter is theoretical. And if those guys do create it, they will be officially dividing by zero
Angels & Demons is fiction. Antimatter is not theoretical. It definitely exists.
This might belong in the LHC thread

but don't be to worried about it, the LHC that is being launched soon PROBABLY won't produce anti matter. And even if it did produce some, I do not believe it could produce enough to cause any problems on earth whatsoever. I've been studying this for months

EDIT: Anyway, anti-matter is simply the absence of matter. Matter is everything, anti matter is the absence of matter. So, if anti matter was unleashed in the earth, it would eat away at stuff, things would disappear. Black holes are made of anti matter.

And to the post's above recommending you read angels and demons, its a really fascinating book, some interesting ideas.
Last edited by The Stormrider at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by The Stormrider

but don't be to worried about it, the LHC that is being launched soon PROBABLY won't produce anti matter. And even if it did produce some, I do not believe it could produce enough to cause any problems on earth whatsoever. I've been studying this for months

im not worried about the use of antimatter, anti matter bombs, or anything like that

the creation of it confuses me
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

The existence of positrons was first postulated in 1928 by Paul Dirac as a consequence of the Dirac equation. In 1932, positrons were discovered by Carl D. Anderson, who gave the positron its name.[3] The positron was the first evidence of antimatter and was discovered by passing cosmic rays through a cloud chamber and a lead plate surrounded by a magnet to distinguish the particles by bending differently charged particles in different directions. => i.e. its happening all the time from cosmic rays

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay also works
Last edited by seljer at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by Tedward

Don't do this.
The book is decent, but do not take it as an account of how to produce anti-matter.

Anti-matter is basically the exact opposite of matter.

If matter is composed of an atom with its corresponding electrons, protons and neutrons and all that jazz, then anti-matter has the opposite. Positrons (positively charged electrons) or anti-electron, and an anti-proton (a negatively charged proton), etc.

Wikipedia says that anti-matter is formed in an environment with sufficient temperature (energy).

Quote by The Stormrider

EDIT: Anyway, anti-matter is simply the absence of matter. Matter is everything, anti matter is the absence of matter. So, if anti matter was unleashed in the earth, it would eat away at stuff, things would disappear. Black holes are made of anti matter.

And to the post's above recommending you read angels and demons, its a really fascinating book, some interesting ideas.

I completely disagree with this. The absence of matter is just a vacuum. Anti-matter is something completely different.
Quote by The Stormrider

Sounds like you need to listen harder in school.
Quote by The Stormrider

this is wrong. antimatter isnt the absence of matter.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by smb
Sounds like you need to listen harder in school.

Seconded.
Quote by Tedward

That was a pretty cool book.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
That was a pretty cool book.

Yeah, for sci-fi. (or whatever the genre is) If you take the information seriously, youse a ho.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I bought Angels & Demons when the DaVinci Code movie came out, read 40 pages, blah, that was it.

I wouldn't mind reading it someday though...
Last edited by brentondig at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
Yeah, for sci-fi. (or whatever the genre is) If you take the information seriously, youse a ho.

No i didnt take it serously
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by koalabacon
all this stuff about black holes being made from the CERN proton collider[?] and junk got me thinking

how do you create anti matter?

wikipedia confused me too much. so uh... someone explain it to me in much simpler words?

i figure theres at least one person who knows this on ug

AntiMatter= Matter, but with opposite spin, and opposite charge.

Antimatter is used by us. A lot. We use it in PET scanners. Beta plus decay, which is entirely natural, gives off antimatter.

I'm waiting for someone to try and tell me it'll work as a viable energy source.

EDIT:

THIS. IS. RUBBISH.
Last edited by LordBishek at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by LordBishek
I'm waiting for someone to try and tell me it'll work as a viable energy source.
That or "Zomg it'll annihilate the world!"
Quote by smb

I laughed all the way through Angels in Demons when they got shit-scared about AM bombs. I think I read somewhere that the entire amount of AM we've produced would just about power a light bulb? And AM is so ridiculously inefficient, People Might as well just use H Bombs instead.
Quote by smb

theres the idea that you could use it to power a spacecraft, as you'd need very little fuel (mass wise at least compared to thousands of litres of rocket fuel)

but its not exactly cheap
In 2004, the annual production of antiprotons at the Antiproton Decelerator facility of CERN was several picograms at a cost of $20 million. Thus, at the current level of production, one gram of antimatter would cost $100 quadrillion and would take 100 billion years to produc

also, we need to think up an antimatter-resistant container for it
Quote by LordBishek

itll work as a viable source of energy
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by smb
Angels & Demons is fiction. Antimatter is not theoretical. It definitely exists.

i know that but that book is based on facts.

Basically to create antimatter you need to have a container (if you want to contain it) that prevents the antimatter from touching ANYTHING, otherwise rendering everyone around it ****ed

it might not be impossible but the idea is ****ed up

EDIT: i never meant that that book was completely true but it explains the basic gist of antimatter relatively well from what i understand
Last edited by Tedward at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by seljer
theres the idea that you could use it to power a spacecraft, as you'd need very little fuel (mass wise at least compared to thousands of litres of rocket fuel)

but its $2.5 million per gram so....
It would work in space. You'd need liquid fuel rockets to get you off the earth though.
Quote by LordBishek

AntiMatter= Matter, but with opposite spin, and opposite charge.

Antimatter is used by us. A lot. We use it in PET scanners. Beta plus decay, which is entirely natural, gives off antimatter.

Here you go Bishek

I am sure that antimatter will totally work as a viable energy source!!! Yay!
Quote by Seryaph
Here you go Bishek

I am sure that antimatter will totally work as a viable energy source!!! Yay!

Quote by koalabacon
itll work as a viable source of energy

What would I do without you two?

but its not exactly cheap
In 2004, the annual production of antiprotons at the Antiproton Decelerator facility of CERN was several picograms at a cost of $20 million. Thus, at the current level of production, one gram of antimatter would cost $100 quadrillion and would take 100 billion years to produc

also, we need to think up an antimatter-resistant container for it

No need, if all you're using is antihydrogen.
Quote by LordBishek
What would I do without you two?

Oh by the way, total props on the Frank Herbert quote.

That man was a genius. And an avid explorer. Sort of like Indiana Jones. But cooler.
Antimatter is the opposite of matter (duh)

Its created with antiparticles, which are found in space. Lets say antimatter touches matter, it fuses to create energy and it will cause a huge explosion. I actually found out that if you were to use antimatter with a car, you could get nearly 6 light years to the gallon of energy, There is a base under Chicago that is trying to make antiparticles by having protons and that stuff smash into each other, the only problem is that in about 20 years of doing this, its only created 0.000001 milligrams of it.

Antimatter is worthless.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/chw42/spiderjamesPJsig.png[/IMG]
Quote by Seryaph
Oh by the way, total props on the Frank Herbert quote.

That man was a genius. And an avid explorer. Sort of like Indiana Jones. But cooler.

And smarter. And better at writing.

Nice to see a fellow fan

It's not so much the fact that it doesn't make that much energy (which it does)

It's the fact that you need to supply so much energy to make it in the first place, so your net energy produced is orders of magnitude less efficient than using something like Fusion.

But you guys already knew that
SO

a new question arises

if antimatter can be created by PET scans[positrons] and such, why does it take such large machines such as the proton accelerator to actually create it?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by LordBishek
I laughed all the way through Angels in Demons when they got shit-scared about AM bombs. I think I read somewhere that the entire amount of AM we've produced would just about power a light bulb? And AM is so ridiculously inefficient, People Might as well just use H Bombs instead.

This is obviously not true. We have nuclear powered submarines and I'm quite sure 1 nuclear reactor powers a LOT more than just one light bulb let alone 432432 power plants...I don't know much about anti-matter. I know it's ridiculously to think of using it as an energy source due to it's habit to explode or w/e.
Fixed to show what the thing was that's dumb...
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Last edited by King_Arthur at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by King_Arthur
This is obviously not true. We have nuclear powered submarines and I'm quite sure 1 nuclear reactor powers a LOT more than just one light bulb let alone 432432 power plants...I don't know much about anti-matter. I know it's ridiculously to think of using it as an energy source due to it's habit to explode or w/e.

What's not true?
the thing is, we can dig a big hole in the ground and filter through rocks and end up with a useable chunk of uranium

we have to artificially create antimatter which for the time being, isn't really viable and the whole generation process isn't terribly efficient either
Quote by King_Arthur
Fixed to show what the thing was that's dumb...

You do realize that H-bombs and nuclear submarines are not exactly the same thing, right?
And that nuclear power does not have much to do with antimatter?

I am kind of confused about your statement . . .
Quote by Seryaph
You do realize that H-bombs and nuclear submarines are not exactly the same thing, right?
And that nuclear power does not have much to do with antimatter?

I am kind of confused about your statement . . .

Yeah man, me too...
Quote by darkstar2466
Step 1) See if it matters.
Step 2) If it doesn't matter, it's antimatter. If it does matter, it's matter.
Step 3) Fin.

I havn't LOL'd on this site that hard in a long time. Thank you darkstar2466!

but yeah, the wikipedia looks pretty simple and straight forward.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by LordBishek
Yeah man, me too...

Oh wait! I think he was saying that your comment about how all of the antimatter we have produced was enough to power a single light bulb was not true. Or dumb, as I think he put it . . .

I think I will let you handle this one Bishek since I think that you know more about it then I do.
Quote by koalabacon
SO

a new question arises

if antimatter can be created by PET scans[positrons] and such, why does it take such large machines such as the proton accelerator to actually create it?

It's not created by PET scans, it's used by them.

To create antimatter, you need really, really huge amounts of energy. According to e=mc^2, matter is energy. If you get a load of energy, it can condense into matter. Now, the conservation of energy must apply to matter as well, so you get matter and antimatter, giving you a sum of zero (one particle for every antiparticle). So, collide protons together using a particle accelerator, and you'll get loads of energy, condensing into matter and antimatter.

Terribly worded, but you should get the basic idea.

Also, read Steven Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".
Quote by Seryaph
Oh wait! I think he was saying that your comment about how all of the antimatter we have produced was enough to power a single light bulb was not true. Or dumb, as I think he put it . . .

I think I will let you handle this one Bishek since I think that you know more about it then I do.

Ah, you give me too much credit my friend, but lo!

All it takes is google!

And henceforth, I may look my challenger in the monitor, hold up two fingers in defiant salute, blow a raspberry, and tell said errant squire to "Jog on."

Live, from the Pit, this was, Lord Bishek

I bid you Adieu, and goodnight.

EDIT: Seriously though, Young Arthur, just give it a search on google. Its hard to realise how ridiculously expensive this stuff is.
Page 1 of 2