they will break-up, which will very from amp to amp, from a slight od, or to a crunchy od
Yeah, it varies. Like On my Fender Pro Junior, when you turn it up to 6, you get a nice tube overdrive, then some amps like a Twin Reverb, in my experiences, turn them up to 10 and they will still be really clean.
depends on the amp. Always try before you buy.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by Swap-Meet
the crate v series?

Depends on the wattage. More wattage is more headroom.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm in a hard rock band - very influenced by blues and classic rock. You can listen to some demos on my profile. To get an idea of how loud we play, take into account that we all wear earplugs when we practice to avoid hearing damage.

Rare? Hm, well, I wouldn't say it's likely...I've had my newest set power tubes in for over a year now, still going strong. I'll probably replace them next year, just because. Preamp tubes should last a fair while longer.

To put these exaggerated tube amp maintenance myths people propagate out of your mind..Think about this. My co-guitarist's dad has a 70's Fender Twin Reverb that he's owned for 20 years. He's never changed the tubes. The power tubes just went out.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think of punk as being all that different from hard rock. In fact, several of my bandmates and I listen to a lot of punk, pop punk, metal, hardcore, etc...etc...
It's not any different.

For tubes, for a pair of power tubes, it's about 30-40 bucks. Preamp tubes are about 15 bucks a piece.

hmm, well as long as the crate v series amps are still on sale on the 25th, looks like I'm gonna pick myself up the Crate V-50....Unless I find a hotrod for 250 or less
Even if it did overdrive at halfway it would be so slight you wouldn't notice. Besides, it would add character and coloration to your tone. When an amp's tubes begin to overdrive they don't add much gain - think like a very light gain sort of thing - this sort of overdrive is useful in blues. Also, the amount of overdrive you get comes out more with a harder pick attack.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Even if it did overdrive at halfway it would be so slight you wouldn't notice. Besides, it would add character and coloration to your tone. When an amp's tubes begin to overdrive they don't add much gain - think like a very light gain sort of thing - this sort of overdrive is useful in blues. Also, the amount of overdrive you get comes out more with a harder pick attack.

I really would prefer no OD
Quote by Ghold125
they will break-up, which will very from amp to amp, from a slight od, or to a crunchy od

He's got it. Basically, tube breakup starts occur past a certain spot on tube amps, that spot can vary depending on amp model, wattage and settings. An OD will enhance a lot of that break-up and as it's name states 'overdrive' the tubes further to obtain more of a crunchy sound or a boost in volume. Even if you have a tube amp, an OD is worth having, maybe even 2.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Swap-Meet
I don't use built in amp effects (hence why I want an amp that will NOT OD)

Overdrive in a tube amp is not an effect. And most, if not all artists who use tube amps use the amps gain, maybe with an overdrive. Unless of course the use a pedal for a specific tone they want
Are we talking MV or non-MV amps here? Seriously this question is kinda vague, it depends on the amp and its design. All my amps can do high gain at low volume because they have gain and preamp controls before the poweramp. Amps such as a 70's marshall JMP will need to be cranked to get full overdrive out of it.
Doesn't matter a tube amp will break up at higher volumes, whether MV or non-MV.

To the TS, if you want an amp that doesn't break up, don't get a tube amp, its that simple. Get a Roland Jazz Chorus, you probably will not find a cleaner amp on the market.
Quote by al112987

To the TS, if you want an amp that doesn't break up, don't get a tube amp, its that simple. Get a Roland Jazz Chorus, you probably will not find a cleaner amp on the market.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Although, there are different preamp tubes you can use to get less break up and some added headroom in most amps.
Quote by al112987
Doesn't matter a tube amp will break up at higher volumes, whether MV or non-MV.

I doubt it's in my price range
I don't know, I think you're getting pretty darned silly about totally pristine cleans. Most 40-60W tube amps will have great cleans that don't break up at gig levels of volume.

BTW, I think you should buy an amp that has good OD and good cleans. Buying an amp just for its cleans at lower budgets, like around 300-600, seems silly. Why? For the most part, amps at that level don't have cleans that are THAT great.

For the kind of punk you play...I seriously just recommend looking into one of the Traynors that are BOUND to be in your area. They're made in Canada, and they're great amps. A used one shouldn't cost you more than 400-500 bucks.
Also, keep an eye out for a Mesa F-50, Peavey XXX, B-52 AT112, Randall RG50TC...