Here's the deal: I've got an opportunity to play a small gig. I use the singular adjective because my drummer and bassist can't make it for the date of the gig. I can't really think of anyone else I'd want to play with, so I'm thinking of going it alone.

So here's my plan: to play guitar and sing along with backing tracks. I'll go through, program and record all the tracks myself, and then practice with them until I'm part of the machine. These will be songs not done with the rest of the band, so I won't feel like I'm missing the human element the other guys give to those songs.

Currently on the list are "Snuff" by Slipknot, "Zzyzx Rd" by Stone Sour (arranged for guitar instead of piano), and a re-write of "Teardrops On My Guitar" by Taylor Swift.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Even ideas for songs?

Thanks, ya'll.
Quote by AcsticRckr89
i would just play acoustic, you and and acoustic guitar, just pick songs that sound good acoustic

Only if you're a good singer and if you can play acoustic while singing
That Slipknot is going to sound pretty funky I foresee. I'm with the other guys.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Check this dude out:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-PsloKTJMCk

You could try out something like that...

Yes, that's sort of what I had in mind, but with a guitar throughout the performance. I've tried to do the whole "acoustic solo" thing before and it bombed pretty badly for me - or rather, I bombed it. I'm way more confident with my electric - a little bit of distortion can cover up a little bit of player error, after all.

But thanks for the input anyway. I do appreciate it.
Quote by Freunleven
Yes, that's sort of what I had in mind, but with a guitar throughout the performance. I've tried to do the whole "acoustic solo" thing before and it bombed pretty badly for me - or rather, I bombed it. I'm way more confident with my electric - a little bit of distortion can cover up a little bit of player error, after all.

Truer words have never been spoken
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by Freunleven

He uses a bass too:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvIg1H16qo

He's got all those effects pedals by his foot.
He's got the MicroKorg synth to his right.
He's got a midi controller with which he turns on and off samples, to his left, which is connected to a macbook pro.

Its a pretty simple set up.
It should work, and I know guys who regularly successfuly perfom like this. There's a guitar/vocalist guy in my area who makes a fortune doing this because he's become so well known around here, he get's paid the same for a gig as a well known local band would get paid. He can also fit all of his equipment (guitar, guitar amp, vocal PA and a mini light show) in the back of his car, so he'll quite often take home anything between £200 to £500 and his only expenses are his petrol money and bar bill, so go and do it and gain the experience, and it'll always be something you can fall back upon if your band ever splits as well.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 11, 2008,