i think its fun when people educate each other and share their ideas so lets just pile together from every one what their favorite and/or most unique guitar exercise/lick/sweep/legato/tapping/chords. So please share your age, years playing guitar, and only (1) think you like to play. lets not make this a lecture/teaching thread, instead every one is allowed to be creative!

im 20 years old
playing guitar for 6 years
-------------------------------------------------4-------3----2-1--
--------------------------------------4-------3-------2----1-------
---------------------------4-------3-------2-------1---------------
----------------4-------3-------2-------1--------------------------
--------4----3------2-------1--------------------------------------
--4--3----2-----1--------------------------------------------------

never mind the uncoded tab (sorry im really rusty with UG)

anywa
LawnDwarf, comes in strong but Alas! he was crushed by RCalistos devastating rolleyes. Is this the end of LawnDwarfs posting career? Only time will tell.
Dude, what are you doing?

To TS, that is Steve Vai's exercise right?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
1--2--3--4--2--3--4--5--3--4--5--6--------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
up to the 12th fret and back down

playing since january i'm 19
little bit of sunshine
I warm up with fist clenches, wrist rotations, elbow rotations, shoulder rotations, upper arm stretches, forearm stretches, finger and hand stretches and then more fist clenches. Then I'll play whatever technical exercise, solo, or chord changes, I happen to be working on for five minutes reaching top speed for the last minute. Then I stretch again and shake my arms loose.

Then I start my practice routine. I don't have one warm up exercise it varies.

Here's one that I used today - I think I got it out of a book somewhere.
e|10-13-12-13-10-13-12-13-7-10-8-10-7-10-8-10-|8-12-10-12-8-12-10-12-5-8-7-8-5-8-7-8-|
b|--------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

e|7-10-8-10-7-10-8-10-4-7-5-7-4-7-5-7-|5-8-7-8-5-8-7-8-5-8-7-8-5-8-7-8-5-8-7-8-|
b|------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|

e|4-7-5-7-0-7-5-7-5-8-7-8-0-8-7-8-|7-10-8-10-0-10-8-10-8-12-10-12-0-12-10-12-|
b|--------------------------------|------------------------------------------|

e|10-13-12-13---------------------------------------------------|
b|------------9-12-10-12----------------------------------------|
g|----------------------7-10-9-10-------------------------------|
d|--------------------------------6-9-7-9-----------------------|
a|----------------------------------------5-8-7-8-7-------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------4----5~~~~|
Si
I like to noodle in the Lydian mode using passing tones and sweeping/string skipping any major chords where possible, going into the whole-tone whenever possible.
hue
Quote by RCalisto
^^ really, it does. exercises = warm up / building strength and dexterity.

you misunderstand me completely. I wanted every one to share what they like, not what their favorite guitarists like. and not one point did i see a warm up posted by any one in the first page. im not interested in what some guy in a video wants me to learn. ive seen a million of those and quite frankly they get boring. the reason i made this thread was to some how bring some fun into this dead musician chat. all i see are 16 year old egos and boring questions regarding inappropriate technique and trillions of responses pointing the TS to the search bar where in my experience i have never seen that topic before. and some times its nice to talk to people at the same level no matter how experienced.

maybe im just having a bad day. the rolling eyes actualy put you on my bad side.
Last edited by LawnDwarf at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by LawnDwarf
i think its fun when people educate each other and share their ideas so lets just pile together from every one what their favorite and/or most unique guitar exercise/lick/sweep/legato/tapping/chords. So please share your age, years playing guitar, and only (1) think you like to play.

Okay, I'll throw out a couple. I'm 18 and sadly only discovered guitar a year ago.

For a legato warmup, just alternate fingers:

e----------------------------------------------4h6h8--
B-------------------------------------4h7h8-----------
G----------------------------4h6h8--------------------
D-------------------4h6h7-----------------------------
A----------4h5h7--------------------------------------
E-4h6h7-----------------------------------------------

Or this one from "Rock Discipline" that I happen to like a lot:

e-------------13-------------13-------------10-------------10--------------------------------
B---------12-------------11-------------12-------------11------------------------------------
G-----11-------------12-------------11-------------12----------------------------------------
D-10-------------10-------------13-------------13--------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then just move the bass note down for left hand stretching.