I have this info.

f(x) = square root of (x+1)
g(x) = 2/(x-1)

The domain is x<-1 or x>1. How do I arrive at that answer? I know automatically that the domain cannot include x=1 because that would make the denominator in g(x)=0. I know the next step is the plug in 2/(x-1) into f(x), but once I do that, I don't know what to do. I get:

Square root of (all of the following): 2/(x-1) + 1

I tried doing an inequality for finding the domain of this function.

I set the above all greater than or equal to 0 because sq rts have to be greater or equal to zero. I solved that and got x is greater than or equal to -1, which looks fine, but when I plug in 0 into f(g(x)), I get the square root of -1, which doesn't work.

Help please?
why would you plug 0 into f(g(x))? you're making this sound more complicated than it is.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
if x < -1, sqrt ( x+1) les on the imaginary plane, so that woulddefinite the other end of your domain. Why the dickens would you plug eqn 1 into eqn 2? Also, the domain is unbounded on the right side, you just have a hole in the function at x=1. if x>1, your funtion still works, but the function is discontinuous at x=1 because the limit from the two directi8ons is different (positive and negative infinity). So, I'm not sure what exactly you're supposed to be finding, but I wouldsay -1<x<(inf.) with a discontinuity at x=1
Quote by riffmasterjosh
why would you plug 0 into f(g(x))? you're making this sound more complicated than it is.

To show that my algebra was wrong, so I'm wondering what I did wrong in solving that inequality.

I'm also wondering how to get the right answer, which is x<-1 or x>1.

^Aren't you supposed to plug in g(x) into f(x) and find the domain for that as well?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Sep 9, 2008,
You said:
(x) = square root of (x+1)
g(x) = 2/(x-1)
The domain is x<-1 or x>1. ... plug in 2/(x-1) into f(x) ... I get:
Square root of (all of the following): 2/(x-1) + 1
</whatever you said>

By changing 1 to (x-1)/(x-1), you could get sqrt{ [2/(x-1) ] + [ (x-1)/(x-1) ] }, right?

And by combining terms, you could get sqrt[ (x+1)/(x-1) ], right?

Well, by treating 1 and -1 as bounds for the domain, plug in numbers--say, -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2:

f (g (-2) ) = sqrt(1/3), which works.
f (g (-1) ) = sqrt(0), which also works, meaning that the domain includes -1.
f (g (0) ) = sgrt(-1), which is imaginary.
f (g (1) ) prompts division by 0, which can't happen.
f (g (2) ) = sqrt(3), which is also okay.

Therefore, you can say that the domain has to include x>1 and x</= -1.

Good luck with math, man...