there was this guy that i worked with a year ago that would scratch his butt and smell it in front of all of us. i declare that a bad habit...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Bad habits include:

- Bad picking technique; not alternate picking (as mentioned above), not holding pick at a slanted angle (to help alt picking)

- Wandering pinky finger; use that sucker! plant it too!

- Hitting strings too hard/soft; will either cause broken strings or/and crappy tone

- Being a "bedroom guitarist"; get your skills out there, learn how to play with others, also learn to play ENTIRE songs with others repeatedly without getting bored

- Looking at hands all the time while playing; cause it doesn't look cool :P

- Smoking; unless you're Slash

- Drugs; unless you're successful
AlanHB covered most of em, I would inlcude being punctual with jams/gigs and also being reliable. Some good habits would be to learn all your scales in all their positions using the caged system (takes a while but it;s great), practice imporvising to bacing tracks or better with mates and live. Study theory, and when you leanr a song, look at why it is good, why does (insert guitarist here) use this oick, what is he/she trying to say, trying to achieve. Then learn that lick and transcribe it to as many positions and scales as possible. Mostly try and have fun, thats always good too.
Quote by AlanHB
not holding pick at a slanted angle (to help alt picking)

Not a bad habit at all; it's just a different tonal option, especially if you can get it up to speed without angling your pick.

Quote by AlanHB
- Wandering pinky finger; use that sucker! plant it too!

Which hand? I'd say that 'planting' your pinky finger on your picking hand is a bad habit but if you're talking about the fretting hand then I'm confused as to what you mean by "plant" anyway.

Quote by AlanHB
- Hitting strings too hard/soft; will either cause broken strings or/and crappy tone

Also not really a bad habit as long as you have control; again, it's all just tonal options.

Quote by AlanHB
- Smoking; unless you're Slash

- Drugs; unless you're successful

I higly disagree with the "unless" parts of these. Even if you're joking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
One of my bad habits was definitely omitting the pinky on my fretting hand. Man, that's bad. It screws you up later on.
Quote by ALittlesEnough
Thumb over the top of the fretboard.

There should be conditions attached to this: when you're bending having your thumb over the top of the neck is fine, it supports the bend and allows you to get bigger bends than you can without it. Of course it must be stated that if you're doing anything like a stretch or chords then your thumb should be firmly in the middle of the neck.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nothing worg with thumb over fretboard unless your playing classical, case in point Jimi Hendrix. Another bad habit is sacrficing accuray for speed and good timing, if you can't playit accruately and in time, no matter how fast it is it's gonna sound bad. Also practice with and without distortion, sometimes things that are wonrg get hidden in distrotion.
Don't maintain one modular position throughout a solo or phrase, it tends to make you limited as a guitarist. . . . plus, don't use a Wah pedal. It's not my fault guitarists aren't allowed to use them anymore, Kirk Hammett lost that right for all of us. So that is why we must beat him with his die cast Dunlop wah someday.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
playing with too much distortion or only on a clean sound all the time with electric guitar

not playing with other people
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!