Well it's quite obvious, just DONT, but thats not what im out for, i want to stop anchoring, but ive been playing anchored a while now so im of course better and more precise playing when i anchor, and i was offered a job playing so i cant stop being precise just cause i dont want to anchor, but if i play anchoring, i will never be able to stop right?, so how can i practice not to do it if i have to stay top notch for my shows?

Hope that made sense
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
I just understand why anchoring is bad? Is it bad for guitar or bad for your health (carpal tunnel, tendonitis etc etc) or both?
If "anchor" means playin with your thumb then I don't see whats wrong with that.
It's used pretty much always in Blues and Rock, many great guitarist do it.
It's just how you do it I guess... try to keep your wrist aligned with your arm.. and not forming a 90 degree angle with it (like I do sometimes :S ).

See ya
If you practice really slowly and build up the ability to not need an anchor, then you'll get better at that, whether or not you play for a while anchored. It took me months to be able to play everything unanchored, and even now, some really old licks of mine I still "remember" anchored.
It is a problem if you actually make a living out of playing, that it could affect your income. I'd say just play the movements live anchored, but practice unanchored or even anchored as well. Your muscles remember movements, as long as you can distinguish between your anchored and unanchored playing, eventually you'll be able to play equally well unanchored and ditch your anchored way.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by Freepower
If you practice really slowly and build up the ability to not need an anchor, then you'll get better at that, whether or not you play for a while anchored. It took me months to be able to play everything unanchored, and even now, some really old licks of mine I still "remember" anchored.

+1.

It's really like relearning walking because picking is such a fundamental technique, so practice devastatingly slowly at first and build up when you're not as dependent on anchoring. It'll be a long road but well worth it.
Quote by zeemonkey
I just understand why anchoring is bad? Is it bad for guitar or bad for your health (carpal tunnel, tendonitis etc etc) or both?

Both for the same reason. Anchoring your hand to one place adds a rather large amount of tension to your forearm and wrist. It can slow down/limit your playing and give you a repetitive strain injury.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ exactly why

also i would like to state that i was in the same boat you TS, but i had to correct about 10 years or so of bad playing. it took me about 2 or 3 months to get about back to where i was in terms of speed and accuracy but it was beyond worth it to me. my playing now is MUCH cleaner and is much easier on my hands than it ever was. i did this because i started developing carpal tunnel and now it doesn't hurt to play guitar
Man thaks for everyones reply So i'll practice unanchored and play anchored when im gigging until i can ditch my anchoring, thank you very much
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Both for the same reason. Anchoring your hand to one place adds a rather large amount of tension to your forearm and wrist. It can slow down/limit your playing and give you a repetitive strain injury.

if only i saw that months ago man.. My right forearm and wrist are totally shot now from it. I have to put guitar down for a while, try and reverse the damage in my arm, THEN totally relearn how to play with the right hand. I can't even describe the feeling of putting away my guitar for a while...
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp: