A local music shop appears to be offering guitar lessons for $18/half hour. I've been playing for nearly 4 months now. I get together and "jam" per se with one of my buddies (who knows guitar really well) about once every 2-3 weeks for a few hours and he teaches me a bunch of stuff. I love playing together with my friend and I appreciate the fact that he's helping me out of his own time, but I think I could be evolving better/faster if I also take like a half-hour lesson a week.

What do you guys think? Also how can I tell if I get a "good" teacher or not. I guess I'm worried that I don't waste my money.
Lessons are always good. Even if you are learning stuff off your buddy, the teacher may know different stuff which can also help you.

You can tell a good teacher if you understand what he's trying to teach you, and you are improving as a result of your teaching. Also $18/half hour seems like a reasonable price to me.
The good thing about a teacher is that they'll tell you certain ways to position your wrist, arm, elbow, fingers, whatever, that can really help your technique. Your friend can help with riffs and all that, as can a teacher, but a teacher can really help you progress. I had a teacher for 2 or 3 years, and have been teaching myself after getting a good amount of education under my belt. Since then, it's been nothing but UG!
Quote by brentondig
The good thing about a teacher is that they'll tell you certain ways to position your wrist, arm, elbow, fingers, whatever, that can really help your technique. Your friend can help with riffs and all that, as can a teacher, but a teacher can really help you progress. I had a teacher for 2 or 3 years, and have been teaching myself after getting a good amount of education under my belt. Since then, it's been nothing but UG!

My friend mostly helps with chord progression, scales and a few basics of music theory. I hope one day to be even remotely as good as him.

Hopefully I'll get a few more responses on this. I will inquire the music shop if the lessons are still available, I need to first wait to get my Peavey amp back. Right now I'm using this sh1tty Squier amp that just blows.
Quote by insanitybreed
Keep on jamming, it's a great way to learn. Lessons will quicken the process though.

The reason I'm considering getting some lessons is I don't get to jam too often (wish I got to though).

This reminds me, I need to call up my other guitar friend , should jam with him this friday.

While I like playing some riffs myself and all that, I think the best thing about guitar is meeting other people who like music and jamming with them.
You live in Worthington? My teacher is the exact same way. Same price, same times.

If you're talking about the guy I think you are, then go for it! He has a great method

If you still live in Worthington, but were considering a different guy, I can give you my teacher's name.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
I would go ahead and take the lessons. After about four, you'll know if you see a bennifit or not.
I signed up for the lessons. My first one is tommorow. For now it is just one 1/2 hour session every week.

I don't live in Worthington btw.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer