I just bought a jcm 2000 off of ebay and i need a 2x12 to compliment it. it's a 50 watt head, not the combo.

i need a 2x12 that will compliment the head well. preferably something with vintage 30s. wheeled casters optional... i can always put those on. my price range is probably up to 700 USD.

help please! thanks.
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
What are you playing? Do you want to go used? Mesa makes pretty good cabs, maybe give one a shot.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
shit forgot to put that in there.

i play rock, hard rock, metal, punk, and blues. my main focus though is blues based hard rock with heavy classic rock influence.

i thought about a mesa cab. possibly the stilletto. what would you recommend?
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
The Bogner bluesbreaker style 2x12 is a good cabinet.

I'm not sure what speakers are in them, I think vintage 30s.

Any particular reason for these speakers? If you're into high gain metal, you may want to look at 4x12 instead. Otherwise you may look into other speakers.
I wouldn't have a clue. Do you want tight bass response or loose? If you want tight then a closed back recto would be good, if you want looser then something open backed would suit you.

Probably the best advice I can give you is try out the cabs with your head (or another JCM200, shouldn't be too hard to come by in a decent shop).

Have you considered making a cab?
i do love high gain metal but i'm not into the recto stuff usually. like i said, i'm a marshall man at heart and love blues based hard rock. think slash for example. i like the 30s for their clarity and responsiveness. i can't do a 4x12 because i'm a college student and don't really want a noise complaint lol

i haven't considered making a cab though. i have no clue how to do it and wouldn't want to **** up seeing as how i have somewhat limited funds
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
The difference between a 4x12 and a 2x12 is 3db. The amp determines how loud everything is going to be. If you're in a dorm a 50 watt head was probably not a very good choice.
Quote by totenkopfSG
i do love high gain metal but i'm not into the recto stuff usually. like i said, i'm a marshall man at heart and love blues based hard rock. think slash for example. i like the 30s for their clarity and responsiveness. i can't do a 4x12 because i'm a college student and don't really want a noise complaint lol

i haven't considered making a cab though. i have no clue how to do it and wouldn't want to **** up seeing as how i have somewhat limited funds

Hate to break it to you, but the noise complaint is going to be there whether you're putting you amp into a 2x12 or 4x12. I leave the head and cab at home and bring a small combo to school with me.

For blues based hard rock, I highly suggest you take a look at g12h-30 speakers over vintage 30s, or at least mix the two.
true.

oh well. f*ck it. i'm going to be using the head for a while after college anyway so i saw it as an investment. would it just be smarter to get a 1x12 cabinet?

i understand the db difference between the 2x12 and the 4x12.

i'll def. take a look at the g12h30s though. thank you
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
Quote by totenkopfSG
true.

oh well. f*ck it. i'm going to be using the head for a while after college anyway so i saw it as an investment. would it just be smarter to get a 1x12 cabinet?

i understand the db difference between the 2x12 and the 4x12.

i'll def. take a look at the g12h30s though. thank you

No not really.

The volume difference between the number of speakers is really not that significant, you need to consider the efficiency of speakers. However, I usually advise against 1x12s as I personally think they sound a little bit too boxy. My favorite setup is an oversized, open back 2x12 with g12h-30 speakers. Avatar makes a good option for cheap, and they sell that with slightly broken in g12h-30s and vintage 30s or a mix of the two (trust me, these need a LOT of breaking in, the g12h-30s have some pretty harsh highs and the vintage 30s have some pretty harsh high mids that are just spikey and unpleasant, until you put about 20-50 hours of LOUD play time on them). Dave at Avatar spends some time breaking them in a little bit but the best way to really do it is to hook a CD player up to the amp, and blast loud music with a lot of bass and mids for hours at a time when you aren't home.

It is an investment if you're going to be using it after college anyway, I agree, I use a similar setup as what you're looking at (Marshall head+cab), but I do have to keep it at home and only get to use it occasionally when I go back to my parent's house. I don't know what your living status is but if you're in a dorm, its going to be tough to use your setup. I moved off campus this year so I could technically use my amp if I wanted, though my neighbors would complain like hell.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
The difference between a 4x12 and a 2x12 is 3db. The amp determines how loud everything is going to be. If you're in a dorm a 50 watt head was probably not a very good choice.

I call bullshit. I have a 120 watt Peavey ultra plus I run through an avatar 2x12. I was able to crank it up to 8/9 and hear how loud it was.

Then I went to guitar center and tried a Peavey XXX(Same amp basically), through a Line 6 4x12. At volume 1, it seemed to be about volume 1.5 as my 2x12.

4x12's are pushing twice as much air as the 2x12, hence twice as louder.

Correct me if im wrong.
No, you're wrong, I'm too lazy to do the math, but its definitely not a significant amount, if any.

Unless you can do an A/B test with the two amps next to each other, you cannot really judge their relative loudness.
go Avatar cabs, or if you can afford it, I believe Orange makes a 2x12.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM