Page 2 of 12
Quote by dcdossett65
Oh, ok.

I know this is a mini thread jack, but is the new EVH amp any good for his tones at all? Ive hea both good and bad.

I'd go with what was reccomended.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I've heard some good things, and some bad things(slightly more) about the new Vibrolux, but I can't find an original one anywhere around my area to compare it to.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Vibrolux-ReverbAmp-Combo?sku=480513
So Yay or Nay ?
If nay please suggest some other fenders, I need good cleans with the ability to get some okay distortion, since I play a lot of 3rd Wave Ska.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by dcdossett65
Oh, ok.

I know this is a mini thread jack, but is the new EVH amp any good for his tones at all? Ive hea both good and bad.

I have a 5150 III, & it gets pretty close at a plug in & play level. I love mine, but if I play in front of people, I use my Mojave Scorpion re-amped into a separate power amp to really nail the dynamics of that tone.
BTW- al112987, that clip of the Metro '68 clone was pretty damn good. Thanks for that.
I also agree w/ the guy who said this crack forum is a better place since you've been here! Thanks for contributing!

But you don't play metal . The horror....the horror...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Ach-med
I've heard some good things, and some bad things(slightly more) about the new Vibrolux, but I can't find an original one anywhere around my area to compare it to.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Vibrolux-ReverbAmp-Combo?sku=480513
So Yay or Nay ?
If nay please suggest some other fenders, I need good cleans with the ability to get some okay distortion, since I play a lot of 3rd Wave Ska.

Ok, the Fender re-issues are good, but don't sound as rich as the older ones. The older ones have a deeper tone and sound fuller. All you have to do is up the mids and bass on the RI and you'll be fine. Fender re-issues are some of the best in terms of cleans. Will you run a pedal through it?

Riffhog: Not playing metal isn't a bad thing. I like early metal, like Sabbath or Deep Purple. Anything heavier than that is kinda ruined for me, because I'm not a fan of high gain. Remember: Cleans let you find your errors and correct them, instead of masking them.
Last edited by DerekTheDominoe at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Ach-med
So Yay or Nay ?

The new Fender Vibrolux is NOTHING like the old one. It breaks up quite easily and has a lot of hiss.

But for the old classic Vibrolux sound, I suggest this-
http://www.allenamps.com/encore.php
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Ok, the Fender re-issues are good, but don't sound as rich as the older ones. The older ones have a deeper tone and sound fuller. All you have to do is up the mids and bass on the RI and you'll be fine. Fender re-issues are some of the best in terms of cleans. Will you run a pedal through it?

Riffhog: Not playing metal isn't a bad thing. I like early metal, like Sabbath or Deep Purple. Anything heavier than that is kinda ruined for me, because I'm not a fan of high gain. Remember: Cleans let you find your errors and correct them, instead of masking them.

I'm just messin with you guys on the metal thing . I like any good guitar playing, except maybe jazz. Really loving blues these days, as well as some other wacky stuff. Learning to play the old Charlie Daniels song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" now, & "Hot Rod Lincoln". Using a metal-ish tone, though .

I'm going to seriously research those Metropoulos more closely after seeing the video al111987 gave us the link to. THAT was what an old plexi should sound like. If George can make me one of those that sounds just like that, I'm all in. I've been searching for a stock '68 plexi for years (& I'm willing to pay several thousand $ for one), but most of the ones you find have been modded &/or have had some questionable repair work done, & don't quite sound like the one in that video. The ones that sound like that are not for sale!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Iceman 420
The new Fender Vibrolux is NOTHING like the old one. It breaks up quite easily and has a lot of hiss.

But for the old classic Vibrolux sound, I suggest this-
http://www.allenamps.com/encore.php

That Allen ain't cheap. Nice amp though - we're seeing more of the fender-esque amp companies these days doing it "the way they used to" only better. Ahem, and I love my Vibroverb RI, but there was one HC review tearing it to shreds. It was hilarious.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I finally traded in Guitar Centers for my BFDR, will have pics when I find my camera. How long does the light on a Fender amp last.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I finally traded in Guitar Centers for my BFDR, will have pics when I find my camera. How long does the light on a Fender amp last.

Congrats, finally reverb that works for our resident surf guy. That HAS to be a relief! The light will last, don't worry about that. When it does go out, pimp it with a blue lens so it's more "surfy"! (or smurfy) JK, congrats again - now go break in that speaker!!!
Quote by riffhog
I'm just messin with you guys on the metal thing . I like any good guitar playing, except maybe jazz. Really loving blues these days, as well as some other wacky stuff. Learning to play the old Charlie Daniels song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" now, & "Hot Rod Lincoln". Using a metal-ish tone, though .

I'm going to seriously research those Metropoulos more closely after seeing the video al111987 gave us the link to. THAT was what an old plexi should sound like. If George can make me one of those that sounds just like that, I'm all in. I've been searching for a stock '68 plexi for years (& I'm willing to pay several thousand $ for one), but most of the ones you find have been modded &/or have had some questionable repair work done, & don't quite sound like the one in that video. The ones that sound like that are not for sale!

Definitely look into Metropoulos, in terms of getting plexis that are as close to the original as possible, I don't think any other builder does a better job than George does on his amps, nice guy too. He has a bunch of comparison clips of a the real deal '67 plexi to his replica, and even comparing a brand new amp to a 40 year old.

http://metroamp.com/amps_67_100_watt.php
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 12, 2008,
The reverb is awesome and springy/surfy. The reason I asked is because Guitarcenters amps light broke. When I first plugged in the footswitc, every time I clicked it, it made a popping noise, and didn't affect it, the second time, it didn't affect it, when pushed it into the input it worked, any idea?
Quote by chip46
more sweet sounding vintage Marshalls, courtesy of Udo Pipper, a German guitarist with amazing tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCLYlzYO68&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kfI8H-XOg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA0LtElaUIo&feature=related (the lead tone at the end of this is incredible)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zm66P-P88w (w/ bonnie blue OD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvr6pZQiaSc (w/ union jack OD)
Quote by lespaul#1
The reverb is awesome and springy/surfy. The reason I asked is because Guitarcenters amps light broke. When I first plugged in the footswitc, every time I clicked it, it made a popping noise, and didn't affect it, the second time, it didn't affect it, when pushed it into the input it worked, any idea?

Bad bulb maybe, they should last a long time seriously. WTF is with these DRRI's? The one I played at SamAsh had a broken vibrato. You had a bad light and no reverb on the GC loaner... So much for new amps being better than used is my thought.
Matamp, son. Matamp.
What sucks is that a relative of mine ordered a Vintage Blackface back in June, not sure which one but it was a reverb one, and it never came in. At least they paid COD.
Quote by chip46
Quote by DerekTheDominoe

Teh winsauce.
To slightly hijack this thread as recommended by somebody in this thread, would you gentlemen happen to know of a good Marshall Major clone? The thread's drawn a few people who are very interested in finding such an amp. Thanks.
Hey Nightfyre, I just posted a response in the other thread that could answer you guys's question.
Quote by riffhog

But you don't play metal . The horror....the horror...

ha...heart of darkness...sorry i just had to...byeee
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Well, I have a little announcement to make:

I will be purchasing a Metro Bluesbreaker very soon. I've always wanted that bell-like plexi clean sound, and I loved the Marshall re-issue, but found that it didn't sound very much like an original. Well, thanks to George at Metro amps, my problem is solved.

I'll post pics and clips when I get it.
Nice

Is George's Bluesbreaker the stock JTM45 in a box or the lower gain JTM45 w/ tremolo circuit? I know some of the guys over at the Metro boards were putting their JTM45s into Bluesbreaker cabinets.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love it, I use a Metropoulos JTM45 head, the cleans are unbelievable. They're not like plexi cleans (as in 1987 or 1959slp plexis), they're even better.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Well, I have a little announcement to make:

I will be purchasing a Metro Bluesbreaker very soon. I've always wanted that bell-like plexi clean sound, and I loved the Marshall re-issue, but found that it didn't sound very much like an original. Well, thanks to George at Metro amps, my problem is solved.

I'll post pics and clips when I get it.

Send me it when your thr

I wish I could afford a nice b00teek amp, but alas, I am but a poor student.

I would like to find a nice Sunn Model T reissue or original, though.
Around 2300 $ plus shipping. If you guys must know, I've been saving up for an amp for over 4 years. Anyway, after this amp, my gear setup will be complete, so I won't be buying stuff for a while.

Al: I'm pretty sure George uses the JTM45.

He only sells a JTM 45 kit ( which is his cheapest one), not a JTM 45/BB kit. Plus, the tremolo on the BB circuit is useless IMO. I'd like to have a bit more gain anyway.
Last edited by DerekTheDominoe at Sep 14, 2008,
^Rigs are never complete.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Aw, who am I kidding? You're right.

I'm sigging that, tho.

Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Around 2300 $ plus shipping. If you guys must know, I've been saving up for an amp for over 4 years. Anyway, after this amp, my gear setup will be complete, so I won't be buying stuff for a while.

Al: I'm pretty sure George uses the JTM45.

He only sells a JTM 45 kit ( which is his cheapest one), not a JTM 45/BB kit. Plus, the tremolo on the BB circuit is useless IMO. I'd like to have a bit more gain anyway.

I was just wondering if he was expanding his products since the BB wasn't on his list when I ordered from him (actually, its still not on his site yet). In terms of his kits, I know you can get a JTM-50 (basically the JTM45 parts with el-34s, solid state rectifier and the JMP50 transformers) or bass spec JMP50 and superleads in kit or amp form from him if you specify. (I may be ordering a bass spec JMP50 later down the road if I ever get bored of the JTM45)

And I agree about the tremolo circuit, I don't really think the tremolo sounds good enough to sacrifice gain from the amp. Either way, you're one lucky human being, that clip of the Metro Bluesbreaker combo just sounds incredible, just listening to it is making me inch close to ordering a pair of Celestion golds.

but alas, no funds for it... though I could just sell a few textbooks.... haha.

Anyway, to continue the Metropoulos lovefest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESqDOMScEw&feature=related

And some awesome playing courtesy of Todd Duane, who just has a sick collection of Marshalls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWLnYU6JBQ&feature=related (50 watt JMP, MF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJCfuiKRQA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCCvGiRjHw&feature=related (Superbass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c6VgxNb_y8 (not a Marshall, but pseudo-Marshall tone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sf2o-CgZvk&feature=related (ditto on this one)
another good vintage marshal-based company is Goodsell
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Though not a vintage amp, per se, this thing nails vintage tones as well, if not better, than most other amps I've heard.

http://roccaforteamps.com/sbytes40.htm

SOOOOOOO gonna get one of these (eventually)
Just asking, but how do Bassmen and and BBs compare?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1

Tonally, they're pretty similar, but the Bassman used 12at7s and 6L6s and the JTM45 uses 12ax7s and kt66s giving it a different kind of breakup and more gain. Transformers also differed, also the Marshall JTM45s were traditionally played through a 4x12 cabinet of Celestions while the '59 Bassman used a quad of 10" Jensons.

Outside of that, the circuits are pretty much identical but the change to British components affect the sound quite a bit. The Bassman is the sound of early American rock and roll, the JTM45 is the more aggressive sound of British blues and hard rock.
Well hey everybody!

SHoudl have posted earlier probably. As you knwo I'm into vintage tone. I also own a clone of a 1966 Marshall 1974 (18 watter, normal channel only)

Here's a clip, with a 2x12 loaded with 1977 Celestion G12-50s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I8rYgMCd8s
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well hey everybody!

SHoudl have posted earlier probably. As you knwo I'm into vintage tone. I also own a clone of a 1966 Marshall 1974 (18 watter, normal channel only)

Here's a clip, with a 2x12 loaded with 1977 Celestion G12-50s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I8rYgMCd8s

again, i LOVE that video!

i saw your Rocker 30 vid too - very nice indeed
Quote by lespaul#1

Ok, seeing as Al took care of the the technical stuff, I'll have to shorten my post considerably.

The Fender Bassman has gone through many transformations since it was released in 1952.

Here are the different Bassman era amps:

Tweed Bassman (1952-1959): The Marshall JTM 45 and Bluesbreaker designs were based on this amp. The original series 1 Bluesbreaker was equiped with 4x10 speakers, like the 59 Bassman. The circuitry is similar, except for the different tubes British parts and the tremolo on the BB. These sound a bit different than the BB due to the 4x10 speaker configuration.

Blonde/ Blackface Bassman (1960-1968): These are considered by many to be the best Bassmans ever. They sound close to the Tweed models, but sound more tame.
These sound very much like the BB/JTM45, due to the fact that they still use valve rectification ( blonde models) and are used with a 2x12 cab.

Silverface bassman ( 1968-1980)
These amps don't compare to a BB/JTM 45 due to the fact that Fender screwed up the circuits on these, making them sound very transparent, with little breakup.

Now, if you want to compare a Bassman to a BB, the Bassman's Bass channel sounds exactly like a Marshall plexi; dark, moody, rich, etc.

The Bassman's normal channel sounds very different. It's that typical Fender clean sound.

Now this is why I love the Bassman: Both channels are very different. The Marshall's channels sound great, but there isn't a huge difference in sound, except for the fact that one channel has a more trebly response.

Now, for the price, the Bassman really shines. You can get a vintage blackface head and cab or a bit under a grand on Ebay, compared to the Bluesbreaker re-issues' 2300$ asking price.

A vintage bassman sounds better than a modern BB, but the bassman Re-issue doesn't sound as good as the BB.

A Metro BB would be a great alternative to the Marshall version.

So, to sum it up:

Bassman: Great price, tonally different channels, great cleans, bass channel is to die for, good value on vintage models. 50 watts, class A/B.

Bluesbreaker: Expensive, but warmer, moodier and better overdrive. Needs Kt66s. Classic British tone, made to be cranked, with footswitchable tremolo. 30 watts, class A/B.
The difference in channels on the bluesbreaker is not to different from the 59 tweed bassman imo. I think they're both pretty drastic. I wouldn't say the bassman's normal channel sounds like a plexi. A plexi imo is even brighter and more aggressive sounding than the JTM45 which tonally sounds like a tweed bassman with a British accent and a bad temper.

The normal channel on either amp is too dark and muddy to use with a les paul, which needs the bright channel. However, at lower volumes, the bright channel has the tendency to get ice picky on high notes, but this goes away as you turn up the volume. Usually what I do is bridge low bright to high normal inputs and use the high treble input to mix the channels, then you can really hear a difference between the two and how it affects the sound when you mix in the normal channel. I use the normal channel volume as my low end control as I typically run the actual bass on zero (otherwise its just gets way too flabby).