Page 4 of 12
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
She's beautiful!

PS: Gooley, build one, seriously. It's cheaper, and totally worth it. Plus, when you tell girls that you build it yourself, their clothes will automatically disappear!

I need to take some basic electrician classes, but I'm very good with my hands (it's in the blood).

Been working with tools doing various handyworks since I was 4, so it should be doable. I built my first cabinet when I was 10.

I wanna build a guitar first, though. It'll take me at least another 2 years before I have the tools, though.
Building a bluesbreaker is actually pretty easy, the circuit is not all that complicated, I built my amp with really no electrician experience, though I do know how to read schematics from physics courses. Outside of that and some basic soldering experience, it was really no trouble at all.

I'd do some reading about tube amps first, how they work, etc. But its quite worthwhile.
^Did you get a kit, or did you do it from scratch.
Quote by imgooley
I need to take some basic electrician classes, but I'm very good with my hands (it's in the blood).

Been working with tools doing various handyworks since I was 4, so it should be doable. I built my first cabinet when I was 10.

I wanna build a guitar first, though. It'll take me at least another 2 years before I have the tools, though.

You really only need basic tools like a router and some sanders and a band saw for a guitar. The fret work can be done with fine files, although specialized fretting ones are useful. I built one (I'm not done yet) last year in woodshop with just basic tools. I improvised a bit but it's really nice so far. Just need to adjust the neck angle and dress frets.

You probably just need to read up on the subject and you can easily make a guitar with PRS quality for <$600 in costs if you have access to some basic tools.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You really only need basic tools like a router and some sanders and a band saw for a guitar. The fret work can be done with fine files, although specialized fretting ones are useful. I built one (I'm not done yet) last year in woodshop with just basic tools. I improvised a bit but it's really nice so far. Just need to adjust the neck angle and dress frets.

You probably just need to read up on the subject and you can easily make a guitar with PRS quality for <$600 in costs if you have access to some basic tools.

I have professional quality tools, it's just that I don't have a place to put them.

That was a poorly worded post anyway.

I just need some basic plans as well, but I'm not worrying about it until I have a workshop to work in.

On topic, Hiwatt love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xPfhFb7AM
Quote by imgooley
^Did you get a kit, or did you do it from scratch.

I built it from the Metropoulos kit.

This is actually the best option imo, Metropoulos uses the best parts and whether you want to work from a schematic or have all the steps layed out in front of you, you can. I did a little bit of both, if you've never built an amp before (which I never had), the instructions explains the lead dressing to you which turns out to be really important as the circuit is particularly sensitive. Otherwise, the schematic is what is telling you how the amp actually works. I had a little bit of help in that dept though.

And best of all, you with a little bit of work, you get a $2000 amp for $1000. I think I did a pretty good job with my amp, it sounds great, though I'd probably trust George's own work over my own.
Quote by al112987
I built it from the Metropoulos kit.

This is actually the best option imo, Metropoulos uses the best parts and whether you want to work from a schematic or have all the steps layed out in front of you, you can. I did a little bit of both, if you've never built an amp before (which I never had), the instructions explains the lead dressing to you which turns out to be really important as the circuit is particularly sensitive. Otherwise, the schematic is what is telling you how the amp actually works. I had a little bit of help in that dept though.

And best of all, you with a little bit of work, you get a $2000 amp for $1000. I think I did a pretty good job with my amp, it sounds great, though I'd probably trust George's own work over my own.

Sweet.

I think I'm going to throw together a 5E3 clone first, though.
Gooley what are you trying to build? I mean what kind of guitar?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Gooley what are you trying to build? I mean what kind of guitar?

When I do build a guitar, it'll probably be a custom design, or an SG.
Quote by imgooley
I have professional quality tools, it's just that I don't have a place to put them.

That was a poorly worded post anyway.

I just need some basic plans as well, but I'm not worrying about it until I have a workshop to work in.

On topic, Hiwatt love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xPfhFb7AM

Gah, you're lucky. I have NOTHING for my pine Esquire build.
Quote by al112987
what. the. freak.

$350?

Will he ship to NC????!!

Hit teh Email.

It JUST popped up to.

Also: i don't have the moniez to buy it.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
I do! I call it! It's mine!

EDIT: Never mind, he sold the head.

Damn, how late were you on the draw?
Don't know, but I am pissed.

350$ is the price you'd pay for a marshall mg, not a vintage Bassman head and cab...........
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Don't know, but I am pissed.

350$ is the price you'd pay for a marshall mg, not a vintage Bassman head and cab...........

1963 white knob.

I'm sure you could get it set to Blonde specs.
Quote by imgooley
1963 white knob.

I'm sure you could get it set to Blonde specs.

Well, would it be possible to replace the SS rectifier with a valve recto? I'm not sure....
I'm sure it is. I think. I hope.

Actually, I have no clue. I've heard of it being done, though.
Quote by yeahyeah
Mother****!
That was in my town

A Stockton-er?

I feel bad for you
To compare the Blonde Bassman (obviously re-tolexed), let's look at this similarly priced BF Fender for the same price.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/838747261.html
Haha, it's not that bad. ya know other than the violent crime rate, meth use, auto theft, leading the nation in foreclos- shit

but really, it's not too bad. I'm probably moving to sac next year anyway
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Haha, it's not that bad. ya know other than the violent crime rate, meth use, auto theft, leading the nation in foreclos- shit

but really, it's not too bad. I'm probably moving to sac next year anyway

Hit me up if you want to jam
Quote by imgooley
Hit me up if you want to jam

Sure thing. I've listened to your clips, killer slide work.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Sure thing. I've listened to your clips, killer slide work.

They don't sound half bad for my gear/recording techniques.
The reason I asked Goolz, is because there are schematics for certain guitars and amps on the webz.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
That shipping price is high.
Yes, but you're also getting a 1968 plexi for a little over 2 grand. You think those 200 watts with everything on 10 would deafen you if used in a bedroom?
Might damage stuff in the room, shake the window frame loose, maybe loose screws in stuff. If the drywall is nailed you'll probably pop a few. But I don't think it would be enough to deafen you permanently. Definitely do some hearing damage though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
That's why God made earplugs
Full muff style hearing protection might be necessary for extended use. I wonder if it could cause you physical damage in such a small room.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Full muff style hearing protection might be necessary for extended use. I wonder if it could cause you physical damage in such a small room.

Well, it's nothing Military grade ear protection can't prevent.
Quote by imgooley
That's why God made earplugs

I would sig that, Goolz, if I had room left in my sig.
Quote by chip46
Quote by Kevin Saale

I want someone to turn it on, and forget it was cranked, and strum a power chord and get flung against the wall .
Quote by chip46
I did that to my dad once.....I left my amp cranked, and from time to time, he'll come and play a bit...It scared the crap out of him....
Quote by imgooley
UG hates everything.

One of these days, I'm going to try and build a Blues Breaker.

Really building is WAY better. Better transformers, nicer componetns, etc.

Also check out the 18watter. They're basically a mini BLuesbreaker. Very cool sound. Just listen to my clip and you'll see what I mean.

Also, speaking of Master Volumes. My 18watter actually has one. However the master volume on that one is VERY different. To start with, it's defeatable (at 10, it's out) but what it does is not to control volume, but gain! The thing is that it cleans up the amp. And actually I love that, because it gets rid of some preamp gain, giving you a cleaner tone. Listen to my clips and you can hear how nicely it cleans up the tone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Really building is WAY better. Better transformers, nicer componetns, etc.

Also check out the 18watter. They're basically a mini BLuesbreaker. Very cool sound. Just listen to my clip and you'll see what I mean.

Also, speaking of Master Volumes. My 18watter actually has one. However the master volume on that one is VERY different. To start with, it's defeatable (at 10, it's out) but what it does is not to control volume, but gain! The thing is that it cleans up the amp. And actually I love that, because it gets rid of some preamp gain, giving you a cleaner tone. Listen to my clips and you can hear how nicely it cleans up the tone.

Wouldn't the normal volume clean up your tone when the master volume is defeated?
This is intriguing....Is it a PPIMV?