So I want new pickups for my Parker Fly. I have Seymour Duncan P-rails in there right now... which are cool and very versatile, but honestly, they're just not cutting it for leads. They're high output (or so the resistance value would have you believe), but just don't cut through the mix all that well and lack punch and tone a good humbucker should have when distorted.

I'd like a combination that has a good amount of bite while still maintaining character and real tone, so it doesn't sound all thin and overprocessed. I was thinking something like a dimarzio Breed in the neck position, and for the bridge maybe a tone zone... evolution.... breed bridge... ? Any suggestions?
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
SD jazz in the neck, invader in the bridge.
Voila
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
SD jazz in the neck, invader in the bridge.
Voila

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you thought about using an EQ pedal or OD pedal for a solo boost?

AWFUL idea.

Yeah but knowing that the problem could be solved with better pickups makes me much more inclined to do that. Plus its impossible to really add tone that isn't there to begin with.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
I love the Dimarzio Breeds, though I might suggest looking at maybe a Air Norton or something instead for the neck, but a Breed in the bridge is a very good choice.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by forsaknazrael
Gotcha.

What kind of music do you play?

What are Nitefly's made of again? I forget...

I play in a reggae / rock band, which ends up demanding a lot of high gain solos somehow (because I feel like it) haha.... but on my own time I play everything from easy alternative to metal. The lead tone I'm really going for is sort of like what paul gilbert has going on... although a lot of his is through other effects and his amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuHAfOPlBI

It doesn't sound like all ridiculous high gain shredders, and yet he pulls out harmonics like nobody's business when need be. He has PAF pros, but I was thinking something slightly heavier. Maybe I'm making too much of a science out of this
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Oh and niteflies are made of mahogany, although they're very thin to save weight
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Yeah.. mahogany. I fixed it after I reread what you asked. lol. After scarified, thats my favorite song of his.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Do you use your neck or bridge pickup for leads?

So far, I'm thinking a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge. Might need to be a TB-14, don't know what the bridge style/string spacing is on a Parker Nitefly.
The Custom 5 has tons of bite and a healthy upper aggressive midrange. Cuts through quite well, just dig in.

A pair of Breeds isn't a bad idea, either, though. The Breeds are going to be fatter, and potentially not as good for the reggae side of things.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Do you use your neck or bridge pickup for leads?

So far, I'm thinking a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge. Might need to be a TB-14, don't know what the bridge style/string spacing is on a Parker Nitefly.
The Custom 5 has tons of bite and a healthy upper aggressive midrange. Cuts through quite well, just dig in.

A pair of Breeds isn't a bad idea, either, though. The Breeds are going to be fatter, and potentially not as good for the reggae side of things.

Well I'd like pickups I can set up for coil tapping for those times. Oh and I usually use the bridge for leads. Thanks for the input btw!
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
I personally prefer using a series/parallel switch. Still stays full, but cleans up the tone - and still hum canceling. My SH-14 sounds great with that! A good pair would be an SH-1 '59 in the neck.

You can hear me using it on the clip "Guns Blazing" in my profile. (Not the series/parallel switch. Just the pickup in general..) I play mostly rhythm there.
I love P-rails
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Turn your mids up to at least 1 o'clock. Fixed.

lol thank you.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by bluezombie
I love P-rails

Well they're not bad pickups, especially the clean sound, it's just I'm after a different sound.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
Well they're not bad pickups, especially the clean sound, it's just I'm after a different sound.

Well... If you're really after a more high gain sound, i'd recommend an EMG 60 in the neck. It's not as high gain as the 81/82's, but they have a very high output and sound great for pink floyd type stuff.

I have one in my neck position and i love it!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite