Hi All,

Classic problem, I'm on the verge of buying a new guitar but I can't decide on which one! I've been playing for just over 2 years and I currently own an Epiphone Black Beauty. I play a lot of metal and straight rock (Metallica, QOTSA, Kyuss, RATM, Chillis, Radiohead, Soundgarden etc..) Although I'm now wanting to explore some new styles (jazz, funk) to try and progress my playing.

I recently went to the local guitar shop and played an American Fender Strat deluxe, I really liked the c-neck and the overall build quility and feel of the instrument was superb. After reading a few reviews people seem to praise unanmously the s1 switching feature although the noiseless pup's take some criticism. So right now I'm very tempted with this option, however I have big concerns on its ability to cope with any metal. I know strats aren't made for that sort of stuff, and it will be great for jazz funk and classic rock...

So I suppose my question is, are there more versatile guitars out there that anyone can recommend that cover the above? I have a budget of 700 quid. Open to any brand really, ESP, Jackson, Ibanez... Or maybe you own the deluxe strat and recommend it as a good choice? Eitherway, what do people recommend?
Kyuss rocks, if your lookin for homme style sound check out the eastwood GP ultra , its the ovation gp ultra done buy eastwood its 700 new and plays and fells like a 2000 dollar guitar, plus has the same pickup homme used in kyuss and queens.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Get a HSS strat
You get the best of both worlds

I have one.
But MIM, and the humbucker is cherry.
I can't imagine how much better an MIA would sound

The Motley Crue guitarist plays a strat, but other than that gem...

LP's are really versatile, especially if you put in a good pup combo. Or a 335, I know they don't look too metal, but damn do they rock!
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by higherworlds
Kyuss rocks, if your lookin for homme style sound check out the eastwood GP ultra , its the ovation gp ultra done buy eastwood its 700 new and plays and fells like a 2000 dollar guitar, plus has the same pickup homme used in kyuss and queens.

Yeah Ive heard good thing about the Eastwood GP. Just keeping my eyes peeled for one of the fabled originals to appear on ebay
they appear about once ever 1-2 month, but i see eastwoods used go for about 300 which is a steal, i also play the amp josh homme uses
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series