Poll: What do you think pit?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think pit?
FOR public education
125 69%
AGAINST public education
30 17%
FOR private education
76 42%
AGAINST private education
55 31%
I cant read
43 24%
Voters: 180.
Page 1 of 3
I was on another forum where someone was talking about how ****ed the public education system is in America. It made me think, "What does the Pit think?" And then I remembered you're mostly idiots, but hey, everyone has an opinion.

So what do you think pit? do you like the ideals of public education? Or do you think that its ****ed beyond recall? do you think that private education provides superior education and that it promotes proper ideals? or do you think that its administered by a corrupt pack of arseholes? do you not care???

Personally I wanna hear from someone from Sweden. I hear they've got a kick-arse public education system.

Discuss.
public education allows you to rape any teacher of your choice
 [color="Navy"]_____         _____ _          _ _____   _     [/COLOR] 
[color="Blue"]|  _  |_ _ ___|   __|_|___    _| |  |  |_| |___ [/COLOR] 
[color="RoyalBlue"]|     | | |_ -|__   | | -_|  | . |  |  | . | -_|[/COLOR]
[color="Cyan"]|__|__|___|___|_____|_|___|  |___|_____|___|___|[/COLOR]

that is the sex
Quite frankly, from my experience, all your getting out of a private school is a name. So that getting into colleges is easier.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Quote by isuckhardcore
Quite frankly, from my experience, all your getting out of a private school is a name. So that getting into colleges is easier.

From my experience, public schools only care if you pass, while some (I say some because I've only been to one private school) private schools actually care about your grades and help you in areas you don't understand or are difficult for you.
i feel that i received a very good education in public school. so i dont have a problem with public schooling. private schools are fine if that is what you want.
for some reason i read it as "Public vs Pirate Education".

Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by AusSie dUde
public education allows you to rape any teacher of your choice

I was OBVIOUSLY going to the wrong public school for 2 reasons:

1. I didnt know you were allowed to rape the teachers

2.There was only 1 teacher worth raping at my school. maybe 2
Private institutions can fire shitty teachers, right? I would go for that. I had a teacher once (public) that didn't know the subject, couldn't grade the tests she gave, and then got angry at her students when they didn't learn. Then again, I've had some truly wonderful, dedicated teachers that beat the hell out of that teaching style and whom I still visit when I come back to see my friends.
It depends on the private school.

Having a private school education means that the teacher can give more specialized education becuase they have less students to worry about. This also means that the child misses out on many public school sponsored events, as well as the social connections to the people in the area. By taking out these social interactions, many children will live a sheltered school life, and will result in a culture shock when they graduate. This would be a prime example of "book smart" people.

Public education can also be just as specialized depending on the school and district. The only difference would be that the children are able to participate in social interactions of many different types of people, rather then upper-middle class and high class children in a private school. The drawbacks of public education is that if the child doesn't take full advantage of the public school system, they would not learn anything. Due to the mass amount of students enrolled at public schools, the teachers wouldn't be able to provide as specialized education a private school may offer.

tl;dr: Public schooling is fine if the student takes full advantage of the free higher learning services available. Private schools offer more specialized education for each student, but may shelter the student from real life.
public education

we spend 60% of our discretionary budget on the military, 5% on education. we punish the schools we do not already have the money to give an adequate education. put simply, its ****ed. but thats mostly due to the last 8 years, so **** that and lets get it on with the next 8
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
The only reason I am against private schools is because most private schooled people I know are douchebags.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by spiderjerusalem
public education

we spend 60% of our discretionary budget on the military, 5% on education. we punish the schools we do not already have the money to give an adequate education. put simply, its ****ed. but thats mostly due to the last 8 years, so **** that and lets get it on with the next 8

School districts with higher funding per student tend to have lower test grades.

How do you improve the quality of a product? Capitalize it.
I know in the UK many people are in private schools because, i suppose, their public system lacks?

I live in Toronto, Canada and I know no one who goes to a private school... (well, highschool... University is it's own thing)...

The system offers a wide range of school and options for different students.... ie...

-Tech Schools
-Art Schools
-Academic Schools
-normal schools
- This school
-That school
-Experimental education
- anything (every school has their own system

If it were up to me, the government would spend money on making post-secondary education free (particularly university and larger colleges)...

EDIT:

I have nothing against private systems, but it would seem to me that education should not be a profit turning machine...
Well I'll let results speak for themselves here...

My sister is the same age as my oldest cousin, I'm the same age as the youngest.

My cousins went to the "best" school in Brisbane at a whopping $10,000 a year, my sister and I went public for $170 a year.

We all graduated. Which is where the similarities end.

My sister left school with a university entry rank of 92 mine was 85. My cousins...well they got around 45 and 50 respectively.

"But how can private school kids lose the game vs public school kids?" you ask.

Well it's because, in public education no-one gets treated any differently, we all get the same boring-as-hell subject matter and we all get the same amount of time with the teacher. In private schools they single out the smart kids and give them all the attention, to perpetuate the schools high reputation with a large number of excellent OP's (university entry grades). But the stats you don't see are the OP's of every kid who didn't do well. So yeah the year my cousins graduated their school had 10 or 11 OP 1's (the best) but they also had half the cohort graduate with grades that wouldn't even get them into TAFE.

Whereas at my school, no-one has ever left with an OP less than the minimum for the worst degree at uni (Bbus lol) EVER! excepting some of the academically challenged.

What does this tell us? private education is about as useful as a kick in the nuts if you're an average person. If you're a genius, then go ahead it'll be worth it. Be everyone else is just spending money on failing.

Not to mention that with our socialized school system all of the best teaching graduates get hired by education QLD before the private schools can get close to them. leaving about the bottom 3rd of graduates to work for private schools. Seems odd to spend $10,000 on getting an education from bottom of the barrel teachers.

Not to mention that my yr12 English teacher got fired from my school for academic misconduct. And who do you think his next job was with? The goddamn school that my cousins went to.

Private = Bullshit, just like every other free service that you can choose to pay for to get "better service"

When will people realize they're getting screwed over?
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by roshjosh
I know in the UK many people are in private schools because, i suppose, their public system lacks?

Actually it's because our labeling is backwards

Public school are the ones you pay money to send your kids to

Private schools are the standard ones run by the government
Quote by JackalUK
Actually it's because our labeling is backwards

Public school are the ones you pay money to send your kids to

Private schools are the standard ones run by the government

That's not true, even for England. It's state that are run by the government.

I went to a private school and I think it did me a lot of good. I got involved in a lot more extra-curricular activity than I think I would have had the opportunity to at a public school. Plus, the education is generally better and so are the facilities. If I can (and I assume I will be able to), I'll send my children to private school.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Badreligionrock
That's not true, even for England. It's state that are run by the government.

I went to a private school and I think it did me a lot of good. I got involved in a lot more extra-curricular activity than I think I would have had the opportunity to at a public school. Plus, the education is generally better and so are the facilities. If I can (and I assume I will be able to), I'll send my children to private school.

I have been corrected!
Can't speak for the USA obviously but I outperformed every privately educated individual in my class at university, so I wouldn't say private education is always better...
Quote by freedoms_stain
Can't speak for the USA obviously but I outperformed every privately educated individual in my class at university, so I wouldn't say private education is always better...

Same here!

They actually published findings here that public school students are more likely to succeed at university.

Edit: A guy I used to know who went to a private school asked me last year "how many people from your school are doing law?", I said "quite a few, why?", and he said "Oh. I thought most people who went to public schools went into trades and didn't go to university". Sigh.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Sep 10, 2008,
umm public

around here the vaste majority of private school kids are twats ive know a grand total of 2 that didnt end up being either hopeless on their own in life or a complete douchebag.

also public school teachers here have to do refresher courses (its compulsury) and private school teachers dont.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Shredder XXX
Well I'll let results speak for themselves here...

My sister is the same age as my oldest cousin, I'm the same age as the youngest.

My cousins went to the "best" school in Brisbane at a whopping $10,000 a year, my sister and I went public for $170 a year.

We all graduated. Which is where the similarities end.

My sister left school with a university entry rank of 92 mine was 85. My cousins...well they got around 45 and 50 respectively.

"But how can private school kids lose the game vs public school kids?" you ask.

Well it's because, in public education no-one gets treated any differently, we all get the same boring-as-hell subject matter and we all get the same amount of time with the teacher. In private schools they single out the smart kids and give them all the attention, to perpetuate the schools high reputation with a large number of excellent OP's (university entry grades). But the stats you don't see are the OP's of every kid who didn't do well. So yeah the year my cousins graduated their school had 10 or 11 OP 1's (the best) but they also had half the cohort graduate with grades that wouldn't even get them into TAFE.

Whereas at my school, no-one has ever left with an OP less than the minimum for the worst degree at uni (Bbus lol) EVER! excepting some of the academically challenged.

What does this tell us? private education is about as useful as a kick in the nuts if you're an average person. If you're a genius, then go ahead it'll be worth it. Be everyone else is just spending money on failing.

Not to mention that with our socialized school system all of the best teaching graduates get hired by education QLD before the private schools can get close to them. leaving about the bottom 3rd of graduates to work for private schools. Seems odd to spend $10,000 on getting an education from bottom of the barrel teachers.

Not to mention that my yr12 English teacher got fired from my school for academic misconduct. And who do you think his next job was with? The goddamn school that my cousins went to.

Private = Bullshit, just like every other free service that you can choose to pay for to get "better service"

When will people realize they're getting screwed over?

Well I went to Byron Bay High School and I went pretty... shit. My UAI was just crap... But thats because I played too much guitar and smoked too much weed
My HSC exam marks were great cos I really tried but my UAI ended up being 65ish.
But yeah I'm pursuing music as a career, so it wasnt really necessary to get good marks in Chemistry or 3 unit maths, I just had to turn up to auditions and win.

My cousins on the other hand all went to Private schools in Brsbane and Sydney. They went... about the same

I guess my point is alot of it is down to the student. You can make whatever you want of your education, wherever you go to school. I'm against Private education because its one of the worst aspects of a Capitalist system. You shouldnt have to pay for education of any kind. I think it not only sucks, but that it is wrong to pay for university.
Quote by JackalUK
I have been corrected!
You've been falsely corrected. Public schools are the ones independent of the state.
I think this whole debate is different for the UK, public schools are actually good.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Kiwi Ace
If you are intelligent and hard working it doesn't matter what school you go to.

True but they do have such an impact.
I rather typically stereotype the parents who send their kids to private schools as toffs!
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
F*ck Private education
Public education cannot be imroved through ways like these...
Public education should be more highly funded by the State.
Private Education=Discrimination between the poor and the rich

and private schools tend to be really discriminating in other terms too.
I know this is not like a rule for all the private schools but it is valid for most of em...
Every form of control over another person is a crime

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

RED MILITIA-Vamos a Vencer
Quote by Slooj
I rather typically stereotype the parents who send their kids to private schools as toffs!

There's a private/public/grammar/whatsit school in Newport, the people there all have the flashy cars and expensive uniforms, but they are all thicker than the Chernobyl core cap
Quote by JackalUK
There's a private/public/grammar/whatsit school in Newport, the people there all have the flashy cars and expensive uniforms, but they are all thicker than the Chernobyl core cap

I bet they get good grades though.

I have correlated people who do well to those who don't at A level and so on, and it often seems to me people I value as more switched on, "there" and intelligent doing worse.

Maybe a coincidence. I guess it's all about how good you are at exams, but still.
Quote by guy_tebache
Personally I wanna hear from someone from Sweden. I hear they've got a kick-arse public education system.

I thought the thread title said "Public vs. Private erection".

Maybe that says everything?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

I'm entirely against private education.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by smb
You've been falsely corrected. Public schools are the ones independent of the state.

In Scotland he's correct.

In England 'public schools' are 'private schools' because, in the past, they were public so as to differentiate them from the church run schools.

In Scotland there's been a public education system for hundreds of years longer so 'public schools' are 'public schools'.
Thanks Meh...I don't know much about education in Scotland.

Why are you so opposed to private schools? Surely if I want to spend money on my child's education then I can?
Quote by Kensai

hahahahahaha

in aus the public education system lags behind the private 1s but all private skool kids are rich wankers
i do fine at public skool
we have resonably small classes good VCE courses and friendly teachers

PUBLIC EDUCATION FTW
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Education in Scotland is better funded than in England, even though it's all coming from the same pot.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by smb
Thanks Meh...I don't know much about education in Scotland.

Why are you so opposed to private schools? Surely if I want to spend money on my child's education then I can?

Because one shouldn't be allowed to pay for better education. That's all. One standard for everyone based on ability.

It's the same reason why university should be free and why the NHS is such a good thing. (I'm also entirely against private healthcare). We, as a society, all give to these institutions so that they can give to everyone. It's not right that some people, simple because they're rich, to get another (because let's not pretend rich children don't get an easy ride) advantage over everyone else in life.

In short: Because I think privilege can **** off and stop messing with everyone's lives.

Quote by R_H_C_P
Education in Scotland is better funded than in England, even though it's all coming from the same pot.

Yes, Scotland has always retained a seperate education system.
Quote by GArrigan
all private skool kids are rich wankers

Obviously your "skool" gave you a great education and an open mind...
Page 1 of 3