As some of you know, before Hurricane Ike hit Cuba and the Turks and Caicos Islands, it turned into a category 4. Some of you may have heard that Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos Islands) was absolutely devastated, and it was. Actually going there to see the destruction really sets something into your heart when you realize how destructive these things are.

I live in the same country, on Providenciales. It is on the other side of the chain of islands, but regardless of where it is, it as well got devastated. I was unfortunately, stuck in a house that was mis-built (the construction workers there aren't exactly what you could call, "top notch"). Luckily, our house was built to withstand hurricanes, although, our roof was extremely poorly built, seeing as the roofing guy absolutely hated our guts for some reason which escapes my mind.

So our roof began to leak...
and leak...
and leak...
and leak...

And eventually, we heard an extremely loud crash, the roof in my bedroom had collapsed. Very fortunately for my family and I, we were on the other side of the house, and it stayed very well intact. The good news, is I had my guitar with me so I would have something to do, if I had left it in my room, it surely would have gotten destroyed.

But back to the point (I figured I'd throw that in, it is a guitar site afterall)! After the storm was all over, and my bedroom was completely trashed, we sought to escape to a more urban area to meet with people to see if they're alright. So we hopped in our Land Rover (which was completely filled with water), and we began driving down the road. To our dismay, we discovered that the road had flooded. There is a salina (a salt-water marsh kinda thing) right across the street that had flowed over into the road. We couldn't drive through it, seeing as it was waist-deep.

Luckily though, we had friends down the street beyond our large puddle of disconnection who we could contact with a 2-way radio to get us supplies and such. Once the water had finally receded enough so we could cross in the Land Rover, we began to explore the island in it's completely demolished state. Half the island was inaccessible, due to the same reason we were marooned in our house. Once we surveyed what remained of Providenciales, we went to look for our boat.

We arrived at the dock and saw that there was nothing there. By nothing, I mean literally nothing, no dock, no boats, nothing. So at that point we were completely terrified that the boat had gotten trashed. Until we got a call from a good friend of ours, who informed us that our terror of our boat being trashed wasn't a terror, it was a reality. We quickly went down to where he was bringing boats to shore and he showed us our boat that was in just as much disarray as the rest of the island.

It's been a few days now, we've got internet access and electricity, and everything is back to normal with the exception of having to dodge power lines and trees as your driving and the missing roof in my bedroom. I never really thought about how horrible hurricanes were when Katrina rolled around, and how much it screwed people's lives up, but after this experience I can understand quite clearly that hurricanes are no joke.

And yes, we are all fine (my family and I).

TL;DR: There is no TL;DR, the only way to get it is reading it.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
who the **** calls a hurricane "Ike"...........
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Glad to hear that everyone is alright, my condolences to you for the destruction that was caused to your house and your boat. (luckily the guitar made it right? )

I guess it's most important that nobody was seriously injured though, I hope the next few weeks go smoothly and without incident for you.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by BeastlyBassist
Glad to hear that everyone is alright, my condolences to you for the destruction that was caused to your house and your boat. (luckily the guitar made it right? )

I guess it's most important that nobody was seriously injured though, I hope the next few weeks go smoothly and without incident for you.

I can only say for the people on my side of the island that are ok. As for the other side (Five Cays) where the illegals Haitians have houses made of flimsy wood and sheet metal roofs I cannot really say. They had no way of knowing that it was coming, no TV, no computers, so I can only hope to God that they're alright as well.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by vlp_dope

When i first heard "Hurricane Ike is...." on the news i was like awesome name!
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
Quote by vlp_dope

They're setting up for next year's sequel: "Mike."

Wow, that joke was terrible...
When I was at the Nola Saints game against Tampa Bay last weekend, a forecast of Ike was brought up on the jumbotron and everyone in the crowd booed. Then they started chanting "Hit Tampa Bay! Hit Tampa Bay!" It was pretty awesome.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
They're setting up for next year's sequel: "Mike."

Wow, that joke was terrible...

and because of the gay rights the next one if gonna be "dyke"
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by niflag
When I was at the Nola Saints game against Tampa Bay last weekend, a forecast of Ike was brought up on the jumbotron and everyone in the crowd booed. Then they started chanting "Hit Tampa Bay! Hit Tampa Bay!" It was pretty awesome.

Football I assume? That's why I don't like football so much...it's so violent and angry.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

my nickname is ike and my sister is called hannah
scary
now extra flamey
Quote by sglover34479
Hey ur guitar made it but how about ur amp? Or is it an acoustic?

It's an acoustic.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

That is some crazy shit. Sorry about the devastation your family and friends had to go through, but I am glad that you and your loved ones made it out ok.
Wow, I'm glad you guys made it. We get tornado's here in South Dakota but they're really not at all powerful as to a hurricane. Glad to hear that the guitar made it out too.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Well glad you made it out alive.
Natures a bitch.

Yea...but luckily, people get through her menstrual period.

It's been a day or so (I think) since I first posted my story, and all we've been doing is trying to get into contact with friends. Most of the islands are still without electricity so we're still scrambling to find people.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Man, that sucks. I'm glad you and your family (and your guitar) are okay.

I'm studying meteorology, and I have an interest in extreme weather (like hurricanes, and especially tornadoes.) It's always sobering to hear about these things from the point of view of the people who are being affected by it, as opposed to the meteorologists' point of view, which is usually distant and at times callous.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
I live in louisiana and we got hit by gustave and no school for a week. I live on campus so we still had power.

I'm pissed Ike's missing us, I want another week long vacation
Quote by Cheesemaster
I live in louisiana and we got hit by gustave and no school for a week. I live on campus so we still had power.

I'm pissed Ike's missing us, I want another week long vacation

Heh, you'd change your opinion in a matter of seconds if a hurricane demolished the school.
Man, that sucks. I'm glad you and your family (and your guitar) are okay.

I'm studying meteorology, and I have an interest in extreme weather (like hurricanes, and especially tornadoes.) It's always sobering to hear about these things from the point of view of the people who are being affected by it, as opposed to the meteorologists' point of view, which is usually distant and at times callous.

Same with anyone really, you haven't got a clue how destructive and terrible these things are until you actually watch it do just that. I personally thought hurricanes were no big deal, but the moment we moved down here about 4 years ago, and that first hurricane struck, I realized they're no joke. I never really thought about the other islands either, like Grand Turk. Some of the islands here don't really have good housing, much less a refuge for people who lose their homes.

I think, in all fairness (I don't want to seem like a complete prick), but I think in order to have a job like a meteorologist you should actually have to go and experience said disaster you wish to study. But that's just me
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by isuckhardcore
I think, in all fairness (I don't want to seem like a complete prick), but I think in order to have a job like a meteorologist you should actually have to go and experience said disaster you wish to study. But that's just me
There was some talk about me and a couple of my friends going down to Corpus Christi to be there for the US landfall of Ike, but it's a 12-hour drive from here (at least) and it just wouldn't work, our classes get in the way. I realize being in the hurricane is only half the experience and losing your belongings (and possibly your family) is the other half. But when was the last time there was a hurricane in Oklahoma?
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by aprescott_27
There was some talk about me and a couple of my friends going down to Corpus Christi to be there for the US landfall of Ike, but it's a 12-hour drive from here (at least) and it just wouldn't work, our classes get in the way. I realize being in the hurricane is only half the experience and losing your belongings (and possibly your family) is the other half. But when was the last time there was a hurricane in Oklahoma?

I think that being in a hurricane is an interesting experience really. It instills appreciation for what nature can do to **** you up, and it's actually quite interesting watching the chaos outside. I was in Miami for Hurricane Wilma, and it was actually pretty awesome watching the transformers explode.
Quote by SmElLy KiD