GUYS...i know this might me a nooby question butt im gona ask it anyway...how does a guitar preamp works..for example "Tech 21 SansAmp RPM Rackmount Preamp" or "Rocktron Gainiac 2 Guitar Preamp".....im not sure how would i hook up my guitar to this thing and how would i control it...im looking to buy something and im not sure how it works your help if deeply appreciated guys thanks
It basically changes the sound of your signal without amplifying it, so to use a cab with it you'll have to get a poweramp.
Quote by Goldenglove
It basically changes the sound of your signal without amplifying it, so to use a cab with it you'll have to get a poweramp.

im still not getting it ...does it work like how i plug my distortion padle to a normal amp?
You basically go guitar->preamp->poweramp->cabinet. I think if you just want distortion, a pedal would be better.
Quote by hEadShoVeL
im still not getting it ...does it work like how i plug my distortion padle to a normal amp?

To be honest i dont reckon you should be looking into rack setups if you dont know how they work.

A rack preamp is your sound basically, it is the distorted and clean tones you use. This then gets plugged into a seperate power amp which amplifies that signal, consequently pushing it out through the speakers in the cab. They are the 3 main components which make up a very basic rack setup.
If you think of a head with an effects loop. Input to fx send is exactly the same as the preamps you're looking at. Fx return to speaker out is the power section. That's what you need if you was to get a preamp. Also, IMO both of the preamps you mentioned are absolutely carp. If you want a good cheapish preamp.. Mesa Quad/Studio, ADA MP-1. Basically any preamp made when rack rigs were in their prime. Also, if you already have a combo amp with an effects loop, going from the preamp to the fx return will suffice untill you can get a real power amp and cab.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Sep 10, 2008,
Well thank you so much for the help guys....i think maybe im not ready for a preamp, i dont even own a combo amp lol, only a crappy practice 30watt kustom amp, for live shows i am forced to use what they have, for my live set up i use my Ibanez V-blade which is running through GNX3(by passing all the crap in it) + EHX Metal Muff....im using the gnx3 only for its effects, cant seem to get a good distorion out of it, so i was just thinking to upgrade....any thoughts guys? thanks again folks