I hope this is the right forum for this thread. Anyway, I just got done reading "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis today. It's a very interesting book, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone - whether you're a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers or not. I can really relate to it, having been in a lot of similar situations as Anthony, but I don't think anyone can fully relate to it, as there are a lot of things in there that us "norms" will probably never experience. Yet, it's such a beautiful thing. I don't promote drug use, nor do I discourage it, but I believe that a lot of his experiences have affected him in ways that help him better reach out through music. I kind of feel the same way - that drugs have gotten me more in tune with my musical spirit. Not to say that there haven't been consequences, and ultimately, being clean is a much more bearable lifestyle. A better one, I think. You should totally pick up a copy of his book, though - if you haven't already!
The sun is gone, but I have a light.
Scar Tissue is the best book I have read, and I actually read a lot of books. I'd been going to make a Scar Tissue thread, but didn't get around to it, glad you made this one. And I agree with TS, I would recommend it to anyone, it's an amazing book.

It's really interesting, some parts really funny, but other really sad. I only recently finished it, last week I believe, I hadn't been able to get a copy before. And yeah, that's all, unless someone wants to talk to me more about it.
I'm up and open for discussion, if you care to share your favorite parts or whatever. I really enjoyed reading about all his relationships. Being young, it's comforting to read about someone else's issues on the matter. I've experienced things - before and after reading - that have really touched me and/or guided me through when things were rough. My phone broke today, while I found out the other day that the guitar I really want has been discontinued, and I broke up with my girlfriend today. I still love her dearly, but things just weren't working out between us. We didn't really have any major problems, but we just have completely different styles. This was after I finished reading the book this morning, and I'm feeling better about things than I might otherwise, but it still does hurt quite a lot. I'm also not handling it in the best way possible - popping pills and the works. It's a bad habit of mine, but I don't do it often - mostly in the midst of a breakup, and I do suppose it helps a bit to not be entirely subjected to the pain, but it also prevents you from possibly making up, and if you stay messed up long enough, soon she'll find someone else, and when you finally get your head back on straight, it' can be really harsh to witness her with another person.
Last edited by stupidgrungefuk at Sep 10, 2008,
Wow, that sounds like it sucks, a lot. And yeah, I did find a lot of his relationship stories interesting, but one thing that did amaze me was the amount of injuies and things that he got. And they sounded so painful and everything, especially his back injuries, and that leg injury.

I haven't been through anything like what he went through, or what it sounds like your going through with the pill popping, but it doesn't sound good. Good luck with it all though.

I'm also surprised at how few posts there are here.
I read that about 3 years ago now. It was a really good read and i recommend it. He's been through quiet alot and it's messed up from what i remember, his father got him into drugs? How pissed off must Flea have been after finding out from the book that Anthony shagged his sister
that book was awsum, had sex when he was like 12, lol, what a player

read it twice

highly recommend it 2 any1 looking for a read

Quote by pa182
I read that about 3 years ago now. It was a really good read and i recommend it. He's been through quiet alot and it's messed up from what i remember, his father got him into drugs? How pissed off must Flea have been after finding out from the book that Anthony shagged his sister

if you read the book properly youd know that flea knew from the start and told Anthony from the start that his sister was hot, and even saw them have sex
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
that book was awsum, had sex when he was like 12, lol, what a player

read it twice

highly recommend it 2 any1 looking for a read

if you read the book properly youd know that flea knew from the start and told Anthony from the start that his sister was hot, and even saw them have sex

If you read my post properly you would see that i read it 3 years ago so don't exactly remember everything
i read it. and i loved it

he really does open up about some pretty raw issues
plus he shagged his dads girlfriend as well wen he was 13
i like how he describes his first 2 uses of acid
was rather funny
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
I've read it, twice. Great book, really opens your eyes to drug use etc, and how screwed up his relationships were too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Nonetheless, it was on Kurt's suicide note. So it's fair to say that he said it, I guess.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
^ Nonetheless, it was on Kurt's suicide note. So it's fair to say that he said it, I guess.

True, but if i said that on my suicide not, not that i would kill myself, it would still be Neil Youngs...
thats an awesome book, ive read it like 4 times?
i still love all the stories about him and flea getting nailed in pot or getting naked on the intersection and jumping off buildings.

actually if anyone enjoyed that book, i HIGHLY recommend Slash's autobiography. lotta crazy drugs, booze, sex, same period, even the same girls once, different man, different music, different people.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
thats an awesome book, ive read it like 4 times?
i still love all the stories about him and flea getting nailed in pot or getting naked on the intersection and jumping off buildings.

actually if anyone enjoyed that book, i HIGHLY recommend Slash's autobiography. lotta crazy drugs, booze, sex, same period, even the same girls once, different man, different music, different people.

Yeah, one of my friends told me about Slash's autobiography, it sounded good, I'm planning to get it at some time. Weird coincedence about same girl though. And my friend said something like Slash and Flea met once before either was famous, any ideas if thats right or anything?
Wow, that sounds like it sucks, a lot. And yeah, I did find a lot of his relationship stories interesting, but one thing that did amaze me was the amount of injuies and things that he got. And they sounded so painful and everything, especially his back injuries, and that leg injury.

I thought the motorbike crash, where his arm got mangled sounded the wosrt
Quote by filthandfury
I only do that on MSN, and I get many complaints about it.

F&F will have cyber sex with you on MSN. He's a bit handsy though.

I have become..... METACARPI!!!!

I wish

Joeymaxx
Quote by Frewak
Yeah, one of my friends told me about Slash's autobiography, it sounded good, I'm planning to get it at some time. Weird coincedence about same girl though. And my friend said something like Slash and Flea met once before either was famous, any ideas if thats right or anything?

Yeh, is true. in Slash's autobiography he used to be in some bike gang and hung out at some abandoned warehouse (cant remember), anyway he met flea there once and hung out a few times.

I've been meaning to check out Scar Tissue for a while now so i might pick up a copy tomorrow. sounds good from what everyone is saying
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
Quote by slafoo
Yeh, is true. in Slash's autobiography he used to be in some bike gang and hung out at some abandoned warehouse (cant remember), anyway he met flea there once and hung out a few times.

I've been meaning to check out Scar Tissue for a while now so i might pick up a copy tomorrow. sounds good from what everyone is saying

Yeah, thought it had something to do with bokes from what he said. And you should get a copy, it's great, he talks about his life experiences, and explains a fair bit of his lyrics too.
Quote by Frewak

I haven't been through anything like what he went through, or what it sounds like your going through with the pill popping, but it doesn't sound good. Good luck with it all though.

I'm also surprised at how few posts there are here.

Yeah, it's very surprising how he still jumps around the stage to this day after all the injuries he's had.
Yeah, its great. When I finished it the first time, I immediately started reading it again. I have Nikki Sixx's book too, thats good.
Quote by Guitarfreak217
True, but if i said that on my suicide not, not that i would kill myself, it would still be Neil Youngs...

That's true, but it wasn't a direct quote from Neil Young - it was a part his song ("Hey Hey, My My"). Anyway, I think I'll update my sig to give due credit to Neil Young as well.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Yeah, its great. When I finished it the first time, I immediately started reading it again. I have Nikki Sixx's book too, thats good.

Really? I have Nikki Sixx's autobiography in my house, my mum is reading it, she said it isn't that good, I'll probably read it though.
Quote by Tom_hatton

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of his book too.
I've read books about Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Clapton.

This one has been next on the list for a while.
Quote by Vagabond21
I've read books about Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Clapton.

This one has been next on the list for a while.

You're running a good list there. This book would definitely be in place.
yeahh, scar tissue was great. and it had pictures, which was awesome, but the one thing that pissed me off about that book is how he just kept doing drugs, like when he had been clean for a while. it was like "it was great living clean and off drugs, but i felt like a spot of heroin so i went and bought some".

so apart from my frustration with that, it was the best book ive ever read.

who else shed a tear when anthony said "hey slim" then started crying at hillels grave?

maybe that was just me

im so sensitive, i almost have ovaries

Quote by stupidgrungefuk
I've been meaning to pick up a copy of his book too.

Yeah The Heroin Diaries. It's pretty dark at some points but an interesting read. I reckon you have to read The Dirt first though. There's a whole heap of context that they leave out at some points (which is fair enough, after all it's just a bunch of diary entries with some commentary from sixx, motley and others)

I've been meaning to read quite a few autobiographies. This thread has turned my attention to Anthony Kiedis' book...might have to pick that one up along with Slash's one.
Quote by goony
Yeah The Heroin Diaries. It's pretty dark at some points but an interesting read. I reckon you have to read The Dirt first though. There's a whole heap of context that they leave out at some points (which is fair enough, after all it's just a bunch of diary entries with some commentary from sixx, motley and others)

I've been meaning to read quite a few autobiographies. This thread has turned my attention to Anthony Kiedis' book...might have to pick that one up along with Slash's one.

I've heard a lot of good things about The Heroin Diaries. I'm not even a fan of Motley Crue. I respect them and their music, but I just never really got into it. I just listen to what I grew up listening to, which is mostly grunge, so I don't really even know much about other stuff.
ahh, but anthony kiedis' book has teh bewbz in the pics.

slash's has one of his wife licking his ass, which is a bit weird.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
ahh, but anthony kiedis' book has teh bewbz in the pics.

slash's has one of his wife licking his ass, which is a bit weird.

Yeah, Anthony put some really nice pictures in the book.
i have read scar tissue, and i have got no idea why it is so loved.

i am a HUGE chili peppers fan, but the book just isnt well written. he repeats things over and over again, and the whole thing is a long-winded brag about his life.

if anything, it made me lose respect for him.

Long road out of hell by marilyn manson - THAT is a great biography.
scar tissue sucked...
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Long Road out of Hell is indeed a fine book. It does dwell a bit too much on the Rock 'n' Roll excesses, and not enough on Manson's personal philosophies, but nonetheless it shows him as an intelligent, moral human being, and helps to explain where he's coming from in terms of his shock 'n' gore imagery.

Plus, the bit with the chicken is funny.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by Caleb Face
yeahh, scar tissue was great. and it had pictures, which was awesome, but the one thing that pissed me off about that book is how he just kept doing drugs, like when he had been clean for a while. it was like "it was great living clean and off drugs, but i felt like a spot of heroin so i went and bought some".

so apart from my frustration with that, it was the best book ive ever read

Well, he can't really change his past and that's what happened to him, but I agree, that was frustrating. Also, to one of the users above who didn't understand how anybody liked the book, it's not a literary piece of writing, per se, so don't look for a classic masterpiece. What I liked about the book was that it was direct and personal. I enjoyed reading because there was something in the way he described his life that made it seem more like a personal story than a "book."
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Ya i've read this twice and i think i may start it again. I've read slash's and i have to say anthony's was better written, it was easier to follow and such but slash's is still worth while to read. Haven't gotten heroin diaries and i prolly wont i dont like the crue of nikki sixx honestly.
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
Quote by Karvid
Well, he can't really change his past and that's what happened to him, but I agree, that was frustrating. Also, to one of the users above who didn't understand how anybody liked the book, it's not a literary piece of writing, per se, so don't look for a classic masterpiece. What I liked about the book was that it was direct and personal. I enjoyed reading because there was something in the way he described his life that made it seem more like a personal story than a "book."

Yeah, that's exactly how I'd describe it; a personal story, rather than a book. He's had a very exciting life with lots of ups and downs, so it keeps your interest just like any novel might.