I didn't really know what to call this thread, but my problem is as such: there's this line I've been practicing, which features a bend at the end. It's a bend on the high E, of a tone. After doing this for about half an hour, the skin on my fingertip was really weak and thin, and I actually cut into it a bit. Is this normal and I just have weak skin or is there a problem? I am using a mediumly thick-gauge string, and playing in standard tuning. Is it possibly my technique that's causing this problem? Also, now that I have cut into my skin a bit, is there something I can do to enable me to still play or do I just need to take it easy for a few days? I was thinking of putting a bandaid over it and playing like that.
sig goes here
nah thats fine mate, what would end up happening over time is that skin becomes tougher, cause it gets used to it,

it means ur dedicated so take it as a compliment, it happens to everyone and is unavoidable
The first time I tried fingerpicking I shreded the skin of a section of my 3rd finger (high e).

Completely normal, it'll callus eventually.
-J
As the others have stated, its all normal. If it really starts hurting, or like you said, the skin starts to get cut a bit, its time to stop. Putting a bit of strain on the skin is ok as it helps form callouses. But actually cutting the skin, even if it doesn't bleed, is damaging.

Its probably best to take it easy on that finger until it heals a bit. I've tried playing with a band aid on and its extremely difficult. You can give it a try, but you most likely wont succeed.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
So pretty much I can't play until my finger heals up?

I know that your fingers develop callouses over time from playing, but is it natural to cut into your finger after about half an hour of practicing the same bend? That's what I'm asking.
sig goes here
You dont have to stop completely. Just take it easy, try not to use the finger much even. It'll heal much quicker that way. By all means you can still play, but you run the risk of making the cut worse. No bending like that though i'd say.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Yeah the problem is it's my ring finger which is like my primary bending finger and I use it a fair bit for riffing as well. I might try a bandaid or something...
sig goes here
Instead of a bandaid, try a liquid bandage of some sort. Should be able to find those at the same area regular bandaids can be found. You brush it on a cut (some sting like hell for a second, but just a second), and it dries really quick, making a protective seal over the cut. Then you could put another coat or two on top, kinda like paint, to make it stronger.

I used to do that a lot when I bowled on a league if I had a cut on my finger. Worked like a charm every time, and I figured it'd work great for guitar playing. I've been lucky though, no cuts from practicing and my fingertips are decently tough.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^ I was going to say superglue on the fingertips. But that is probably not the best thing to recommend on the internet. But I have done it and it works. You just have to be careful, very careful. And don't pick up anything you wouldn't mind being seen in public holding, if you follow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Skater901, I clicked the link in your sig to the other topic, says you've been playing for about 3 years?

I'd think callouses have developed by then...
Just omit that finger until it heals, play with the other ones and try to come up with new stuff with just those 3 fingers, when the other one heals you can add some cool bends or something else with your ring finger